PDA

View Full Version : "Shag" Hampton's last flight

JimNich
11th Oct 2001, 23:05
Today was Sqn Ldr Ian Hampton's last flight after 36 years as a Royal Air Force Navigator (and yes, it was delayed and yes, we did bag drag).
Formerly of the Herc world but on Nimrods for the last eleven years I'd just like to say CHEERS IAN!! Its been a blast working with you and you've taught me a bucketload about operating large aircraft, hope you didn't mind me earwigging. Your humour, enthusiasm, common sense and all round good blokeishness is so rare these days that for my part you will be sadly missed.

all the best big guy.

Jim Nicholas

DrSyn
12th Oct 2001, 07:05
Thanks for the info, Jim N. That's an amazing innings by any measure. I remember Shag very well from my days as a very green Co on the Hercs, almost 30 years ago. I would concur with the qualities you attributed to him and hope, from your post, that he does actually follow this forum.

In which case, have a long and happy retirement, Ian!

Judge Rembrandt
12th Oct 2001, 07:40
Their Airships ought to invite "Lord Ian of Ecclefechin" down to debrief them on the demise of this erstwhile great Air Force, and how they could start to put things right. Perhaps Beagle could go along to fill in some of the details required, and The Mistress could be spokesperson for "the little ladies" - man, what a team!!
Thanks for the excellent times we have had together Ian, you will be sorely missed - We could actually run a "wish I had'nt said/done/seen thread, made up entirely of your exploits....... but let's not!! Here's to a Happy Retirement for you & L.
Cheers, JR

Max Brakin
12th Oct 2001, 11:13
Sad to hear he's going but I'd like to add my thanks for all the help he gave me when we were crewed together. I suppose now he'll be concentrating on his golf a little more....

Enjoy the time off, no more early starts, no more bag drags (good to see it ended with one to keep it fresh in your mind) and of course no more daft questions from co-pilots such as ...which ways south Nav ??' as we were orbiting around the North Pole.

Top bloke :D :D :D :D :D

---------------------------------------

Edited for complete inability to spool

[ 12 October 2001: Message edited by: Max Brakin ]

RubiC Cube
12th Oct 2001, 11:59
We've never flown together, but bounced off each other around the world. A particularly good OC Airport Unit Kai Tak. One of life's gentlemen, enjoys life to the full. Enjoy your retirement Shag. :) :) :)

K52
12th Oct 2001, 19:47
Ian,

If you read this - all the best in your retirement.

I see from Vol 1 of my log book that we first flew together on 15/2/68 in the days of "Hoot and Roar". A different Air Force then!!!

At least you will never forget about Etna!!

Cheers

KP

Pom Pax
13th Oct 2001, 14:32
Please share the Etna story.

From one who was once invited to the flight deck when he refused to change the time to run to the turning point. At 300ft on a clear day it it looks very big even at 120 miles!

K52
14th Oct 2001, 18:39
PP

Late 60's in an Andover fying down Italy in the early hours - very quiet (all procedural then - no Radar). Suddenly elderly Flt Lt Captain ( before the days of Spec Aircrew) say's " Hey Ian- where's Mt Etna?"

Several moments went by in a flurry of charts and mental calculation before the reply "What are you on about Jock? Its at least 40 NM away!!" " Just wondered" said Jock " I got my first 190 over Etna" :)

4PON4PIN
17th Oct 2001, 13:19
Wotcha Shag! Fancy so many people being nice to you.. even pilot chappies.
K52 - you refer to an "elderly" Flt Lt Captain; If it was Jock C...g then he wasn't elderly, he was bleedin' ANCIENT even then :)
So many folks at Abingdon used to ask why Ian was called "Shag". A "Jumping Bean" had been part of the jollity in the Mess one evening and had heard Shag regale the assembled company with tales and jokes. After Ian had finished his favourite one about a vicar, a little girl and a dog called Porky,(!!), the J.B. turned to me and enquired: "Why do you call him Hampton?"

I too have enjoyed many happy years of Ian's friendship and even forgive him for getting us kicked out of The Black Horse, this before 12 0 clock midday!!
Hope you get to read this Ian. Now you have no excuse for NOT getting yer ass south again for the 46 Reunion like you did a coupla years ago. Cheers Shag and enjoy yr well earned retirement.
P.S. Did you hear "Parts" Unwin was at this years bash? :D

[ 17 October 2001: Message edited by: 4PON4PIN ]

K52
17th Oct 2001, 18:31
4PON4PIN

I was merely, for once in my life, being polite!! :rolleyes: