PDA

View Full Version : air data system

dreamagicz
25th Sep 2009, 11:02
Hey guys can anyone help me find in-depth details about air data instrumentation system as well as of the evolution of modern cockpit?? Many thanks in advance...

IFixPlanes
25th Sep 2009, 14:35
Here is the :
Phrases from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://tr.im/zIhF)

Flight777
27th Sep 2009, 09:27
For my college I hat to aquire a book about air data instruments which is very detailed and may be very usefull for you. Here is the link:

Aircraft Instruments and Integrated Systems: Amazon.co.uk: E.H.J. Pallett: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aircraft-Instruments-Integrated-Systems-Pallett/dp/0582086272)

(NO SPAM, just referring to the book)

Hand Shandy
27th Sep 2009, 14:06
That was far more interesting than E and I bars.

411A
28th Sep 2009, 05:46
The first air data system widely used on jet transport aircraft was KIFIS.
I provided this explanation on another forum due to a similar question...

Kollsman Integrated Flight Instrument System.
KIFIS was a totally pneumatically powered analogue instrument system, using gears, cogs etc...the only electrical power was to provide failure function indications and cross-reference data.
An entirely adequate system for early jet transports.
And, utterly reliable.

However, because of the KIFIS system, autopilots of the day were, well....just OK, nothing to write home about.
For example, the Collins AP105 autopilot system used on many early B707's was quite accurate in the heading/altitude-hold modes, ILS/VOR modes, less so.
In the latter case, intercept angles needed to be kept within 30 degrees (maximum) as otherwise on-course information/guideance would be highly suspect.

This will provide a general simplified view.

syseng68k
2nd Oct 2009, 22:17
Ah - Smiths servo altimeters ?...

Blacksheep
2nd Oct 2009, 23:32
It all began with the swing-arm airspeed indicator. A vane was suspended from the lower surface of the upper plane, with a calibrated scale on a flat panel immediately outboard of the vane arm. As airspeed increased, the angular displacement of the vane arm increased and the speed could be read off against the calibrated scale. Once pilots could tell how fast they were going (or not going, as the case may be) they wanted to know more, like how high they were, how much fuel was in the tank, what time was it and such like. Eventually we ended up with the modern cockpit, where a pilot has so much information available to him that he no longer has any idea what is going on, and leaves it all to the computers.

Non linear camsDon't complicate matters until you've explained the different methods used by Smith's and Kelvin and Hughes for temperature compensation of the capsule stack in their altimeters.