PDA

View Full Version : Friend in need

KD
10th Oct 2001, 19:22
Honestly !!!

Anyone know of anyone whose transfered from RCAF to RAF ? How did they go aboot it ? Was is difficult ?

Have a friend in RCAF desperately wanting to fly Multi`s but looks like he`ll get Choppers . With it all being Commonwealth would he be able to transfer ?

Supposing he`d have to do a SERE and UKOC .

Anyone know ?

Night NVG Goggles
10th Oct 2001, 19:53
There is a guy with beady eyes and a flip top head on 72 Sqn, RAF Aldergrove. He should have some info on the matter. I am not sure what he had to do regarding officer training and flying training. He was rotary in Canada anyway, and wanted to fly the mighty Wessex!
I suppose you can't blame him, we will just have to 'Blame Canada' anyway.

Up Very Gently
10th Oct 2001, 23:41
The 72 Sqn bloke mentioned first approached the RAF via the Consulate in Canada.

He had to do the 8 week SERE Cse, not too difficult as long as you can prove you have a pulse. Post Grad at Cranditz, it was a refresher at Shawbury, then straight to OCU. One advantage he did have was that he did part of his advanced flying training in the UK on exchange, I believe.

From what I recall, I don't think he had too many problems transferring. Good luck!

UVG

KD
10th Oct 2001, 23:54
I take it he had his wings ? And a tour under his belt .

So it was the British Consulate in Canada he went thro ?

Anyone heard of people going RAF / RCAF ?

15/15 flex
12th Oct 2001, 05:59
He should contact the British High Commission in Ottawa. There may be some useful info on www.britain-in-canada.org. (http://www.britain-in-canada.org.) Other than that he should be prepared for smaller houses, smaller cars, more expensive gas, wetter winters (but warmer), wetter summers (but cooler and with less mozzies), better beer and a MUCH better social life than in the CF.

Best of luck to him; if he needs any more help, just ask.

pshakey
12th Oct 2001, 15:53
15/15 Flex,

Good advice. I know of one or two pilots who have looked into transferring, and then backed out when they have read the fine print (long contracts and ground tours before starting flying).

By the way, you forgot to add to your list:

- About 350cm a year less snow
- Single role jets with only one fin

p.s. I am returning home to a much bigger house! ;)

GermB
15th Oct 2001, 07:51
KD & 15/15 FLEX
Thanks for the leads, I tried 15/15's web site and may be found a contact pt under the Defence section who can help, we'll see.
Till then I'll keep training with the paints filled with the dark stuff!!!
Cheers
Germb