PDA

View Full Version : Investors in ........Officers!!

ol_benkenobi
5th Nov 2001, 04:55
Have heard that DAAvn has written to all Officers recently departed for the Airlines and offered them their jobs back should the be be made redundant. Hope the samre hand is being extended to SNCOs / JNCOs, irespective of what line of work they decided to take. (Got a feeling I know the answer) :(

PoorPongo
6th Nov 2001, 23:03
OB,

I have no idea whether this is true or not but if it is then I bet I know the answer too. Whether you, or I, or anyone else likes it we are short of officers and almost fully recruited in NCO pilots. Basic economics dictate, therefore, that where the demand is high and the supply short then the price will be paid. And in this case that means that DAAvn is looking to buy officers and not NCOs. However harsh that might sound the realities of what we are short of will prevail. When we find ourselves over-recruited in officers and short of NCOs then the shoe will be on the other foot but until then you can hardly be surprised.

Tiger_mate
7th Nov 2001, 03:05
PoorPongo said:

...looking to buy officers and not NCOs.

Then they should commision from within, there must be lots of suitable SNCOs within the AAC ranks. Whilst I would be the last one to be critical of anyone who leaves, it has to be said that it is those left behind that have the Loyalty. I am a firm believer that if you want to go then the way should be quick and easy, but once gone, never return.

Recruiting civvie failures (yes I know its not their fault the times have changed) can only damage what little morale the armed forces retain.

Nomex suit ready!!

ol_benkenobi
7th Nov 2001, 19:36
Good points either way. Starting this topic was not a whinge. If they are needed then all well and good. It was however to highlight how discriminatory it could be percieved as being. Will these guys come back in on regular commisions - if they had them before? If they consider themselves short of officers, and there are not the numbers joining up, then why were there only 6 slots on the commisioning board this year?
Big bag of worms possibly

calamity jane
7th Nov 2001, 22:48
Good choice of word TM loyalty,it seems to me that loyalty gets people nowhere. Some of us with plenty of time served,plenty left,a bag full of hours and showing loyalty are not worth promoting or paying the retention bonus too.Look after what you have and you won't have a problem. :eek:

Murphy
8th Nov 2001, 02:56
Don't know which way to go on this.

Does sound discriminatory if it's just aimed at the offr's, but also remember getting roughly the same letter, whilst out, inviting myself, and everyone else who left around the same time to come back with no penalties.

As for loyalty, I agree, it should be rewarded, but after a reasonable time, not leaving it until people have a couple of years left to serve.

Promoting from within. What a great idea. Believe me if someone offered me a commision at the mo I'd rip their arms off!!!!! (But then those who know me must be P**sing themselves now!!!)

kbf1
8th Nov 2001, 04:37
Murph....you have regerssed back to 1 post!

I have no problem with promoting NCOs, but my experience tells me that if you promote too many too quickly you leave a huge experience gap when the new guys come up, and it is hard to pass that experience along when as a newly commissioned capt you are up to your behind in the work of the other vacant officer posts as well as your own. A wholesale commissioning exercise would weaken the SNCO ranks, which in relaity are what make any unit tick. Don't get me wrong, I don't suggest it is a bad idea, but I suspect DAAvn has thought along similar lines (as would I in his shoes). In a modern army with educated soldiers, especially those trained to the standards of an SNCO pilot predjudice has little or no place and i can't see a "them and us" barrier being a prevention to promotion or commissioning to the same extent as perhaps 30 years ago.

Murphy
8th Nov 2001, 11:13
I know I'm back to one. Had to re-do my profile with new Email address..............and got it wrong so had to re-register!!!Maybe I shouldn't take that commision if they offer!

(No Smilies for being Stupid!!)

ol_benkenobi
9th Nov 2001, 02:20
Go on man do it!!! :D :D

kbf1
9th Nov 2001, 03:23
......you know you want to! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/wormsaw.gif

Murphy
9th Nov 2001, 15:56
Ol Ben,

Mate, you know I've got more hope of nailing Blancmange to the ceiling than getting a Commision. But must admit, did ask about the possibility recently........................and got F**ked off at the high port!!! :rolleyes:

Helmut Visorcover
9th Nov 2001, 18:33
I can't believe that murph! How can you be compared to a 21 year old 2nd Lt!!!........Sir..... :D

ol_benkenobi
9th Nov 2001, 23:06
He could be compared to them in that......1 Murph is worth 2 x 21year old True Blue Sky Gods. I'm talking mass here!! I'd rather have the 40 mins of fuel. :D

Helmut Visorcover
9th Nov 2001, 23:08
Thats a very conservative fuel estimate for murph, ol ben. I would have put him nearer to 90 minutes of gas! :D :D :D

ol_benkenobi
9th Nov 2001, 23:20
I was on about a C-130!

Murphy
10th Nov 2001, 03:48
Friday night for you two is it????

portsmouth346
10th Nov 2001, 04:37
I have heard that even a crewman was invited back to play for a while.