PDA

View Full Version : ATR Power Mgt

Luckystar77
24th Sep 2009, 21:45
Hello,
I was wondering why we wouldnt want to move power levers beyond notch while we have PWR MGT selector in Climb or Cruise?
I have noticed that FCOM doesn't mention any procedure we would want to do this.
Is it just because we could shorten the engine lifetime significantly or there is some other reason we shouldn't do it?:confused:

airman13
25th Sep 2009, 19:59
good question, but the reason is for mechanical limits....more than that, we were given a piece of advise, while flying at lower levels,80-120 at cruise,to reduce power levers in order to have not more than 100 % torque ,nevertheless in QRH you may have 105 or 107 etc.....

tin canary
26th Sep 2009, 11:49
Because if you are beyond the notch, you are ignoring the preset values set for climb or cruise power. You put the levers in the notch and accept the power you get - that is what the engine manufacturer and atr have worked everything out on.
To move levers beyond notch to ramp is for Go Around and beyond emergency!
If you don't have the levers in the notch you are making the a/c ignore the pwr mgt switch. That is why you must bring it back to the notch after a Go around, even when on one engine, otherwise yes, you will burn out the engines!

powerstall
27th Sep 2009, 02:30
Why would you put the power lever out of the notch (not in any emergency situation?)just curious :confused:

Luckystar77
27th Sep 2009, 09:17
I am not talking about moving power levers out of notch while PWR MGT in T/O or MCT. Those situations are fully explained in FCOM.
I was wondering if we could move them beyond while flying in CLB/CRS. The reason for that could be as simple as:
- climb to higher level to avoid top of clouds or,
- to reach higher lever quicker to burn less fuel for the whole trip.
I guess the only explainable reason for having power levers in notch position is engine lifetime.