PDA

View Full Version : F4 Phantom at St Athen

Funkie
9th Oct 2001, 23:08
Hi All,

Just a quick question.

A few years have past since I was a member of the CCF at school where I had been sent, with a few other cadets, to RAF St Athen.

While at this wonderful establishment, we had our picture taken in front of the F4 Phantom that is the static display there.

The questions I have is this:

Was the aircraft kept there in commemoration of a specific person or event.

Your help would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Fra.

PS, good luck to all of those involved in the current campaign in Afghanistan

BEagle
10th Oct 2001, 00:36
That F4 is still there - I saw it today. Looks as though it needs a repaint as it's getting a wee bit tatty.

Phantoms used to have major servicing carried out at RAF St Athan (supposedly now it's 'DARA' St Athan-yuk) - this was just one left behind when the ac were taken out of service, I would imagine.

Funkie
10th Oct 2001, 21:54
Cheers mate

STANDTO
11th Oct 2001, 00:09
Back in 88 I spent a very pleasant summer there as part of the At home day team. The OC test flying had a rather impressive habit of coming in from the seaward end at 0 feet in an F4, then sticking it on its tail in full reheat, topping out about 20,000feet and then ******ing off to Germany to deliver said aircraft.

There was also an ex ETPS harrier mate who would insist on not taking lunch and hovering outside the mess. Dashed inconsiderate. Great days

BEagle
11th Oct 2001, 00:16
Another trip to St-bŁoody-Athan today and we finally prised our ancient, recently re-assembled Vickers Funbus Mk 3 out of the hands of the Kwik-Fit fitters!

The F4 is XV 498, by the way!

[ 10 October 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

Flt Lt Spry
11th Oct 2001, 00:55
The 0' flypasts were a "thank you" to the engineers who had spent months working on the aircraft to get them ready to return to the front-line. They were stopped some years ago because one particular local complained about the noise. Now they just take off on a SID and that's it.

Blue Stuff
14th Oct 2001, 21:20
Hey BEags,

[dons well-worn anorak again]

When I was there in Jul 99, it was XV500 - unless, of course, it was '498 painted-up as something else. :eek:

[doffs anorak]

Not meaning to be a pedant - just curious. Yeah, okay - I am a sad old spotter. ;)

Regards,

Blue.