View Full Version : Extending someones licence after an LPC

24th Sep 2009, 14:42
This might be of interest to all Examiners...
Every country has different rules even under JAR. Can extend a TRE a licence by making an entry regardless of the origin of the licence? Any exemptions?
E.g. You are a UK TRE, can you sign a Dutch licence? This is often not clear...

How about the procedures in your country? Is your licence signed (extended) after a check or do you get automatically a new licence issued?


24th Sep 2009, 18:21
I presume you mean revalidate. The UK allow any suitably qualified JAA examiner to revalidate a UK JAA licence however; the examiner is required to complete the UK revalidation paperwork SRG1119 as well as signing the licence. Not all countries permit examiners authorised by other States to sign their licences.

24th Sep 2009, 19:39

It does vary from country to country. Often it is written in the licence what the State of Licence Issue expects or there is an AIC.

Often it is OK to sign the licence except where the rating has expired and in that cases some Authorities say that it is OK to do the test but they will make the entry in the licence.

If in doubt, a quick call to the relevant Authority. If it is Saturday / Sunday and the candidate's rating is going to expire before Monday (not unusual!!!!!) then do the test and wait until you have spoken to the Authority before you write anything in the licence. They all accept the LPC it is only the paperwork that varies!!

25th Sep 2009, 12:26
I find a safer way, when approached by any non-UK licence holder, is to get *them* to confirm with their own authorities that a flight test with a UK examiner is acceptable, and if the licence pages may be signed.

When they forward the e-mail response, we look at making an appointment.

It is *their* responsibility to keep *their* licence(s) current and corect.

25th Sep 2009, 19:36
Thanks for all your answers. I think Keygrip is making a good point here. Generally it is corect to say that the licence holder is responsible for the licence current and correct. It cannot be that the examiner has to call around to every authority to ask about the procedure. It can also not be that he has to get the check form of that particular country.

I guess the best is to ask the candidate and if he does not know follow your gut feeling. Any other relevant things you can think about?

25th Sep 2009, 23:03
1) Keygrip's general point is very valid - it is the licensee who always has the obligation to ensure his/her own validity... etc etc.

2) No examiner in any JAA state may extend the validity of any JAR-FCL License. Licences can only be revalidated by the State of Licence Issue. You are most probably talking of extending ratings connected to said license. That is a national administrative matter, so everyone has to ensure compliance - both licensee and examiner, with their appliccable national regulations. As Keygrip states.


26th Sep 2009, 11:45
Thanks redbar1, you're right, I mean extending a type rating, not the licence.

Your answer makes sense, I just find it sometimes difficult to ensure compliance. Often the candidate is not sure about the regulation, and it is difficult for the examiner to know relevant national regulations.

Mister Geezer
28th Sep 2009, 14:16
It is *their* responsibility to keep *their* licence(s) current and corect.

That may be true but there is an element of responsibility on the Examiner to only sign for something that he/she is allowed to. To be honest I would rather do my own research, rather than leave it to the student/candidate. I brought this up when I did my FE course and I was advised to give the CAA a quick call to double check.

28th Sep 2009, 17:01
But what do the UK CAA know about "foreign" licence legislation?

Each member state has different interpretations on the requirements of JAA/JAR.

The only people who know the individual country requirements are...the individual country.

If a "foreign" licensed pilot approaches you for a check/test/whatever - get the individual to check with THIER member Satate.

Then you protect yourself and the pilot who comes to you.

I did one flight for FOCA (Austria) without a problem. Did same again later - different pilot - FOCA had changed their requirements and turned out that what we had done was no longer valid.

FOCA sent a snot-o-gram to the Chief Examiner at the CAA - even though we had done what they previously said.

Get each "foreign" candidate to check with their authorities.

I even get them to bring the correct "foreign" paperwork with them - the national equivalent of the Form SRG1119.

Mister Geezer
29th Sep 2009, 00:21
The trouble is that you are having to trust what the candidate says if you depend on them to find out what is required..... which may be wrong. :sad:

Unless the candidate brings written confirmation of that State's own requirements, then how can you be 100% sure that everything will above board?

I was faced with a situation a few years ago. I called the UK CAA who gave me the contact details of the head of Flight Crew Licencing in the State concerned. I got in touch with him directly and he provided me with the correct procedures to be followed - which differed from what the candidate told me! :confused:

Lesson learned!

29th Sep 2009, 04:48
That's what I meant - candidate brings the official answer from the member State.

29th Sep 2009, 08:23
I regularly do the type rating renewals for our staff in Spain. I had to send a copy of my examiner authority to the Spanish CAA in advance of doing any LPC/LST's and now have written approval.