PDA

View Full Version : WHO'S BEST

Social Hand Grenade
4th Nov 2001, 22:20
So which of the Armed Foces is the best?
I know people who have transfered to the RAF, but is it all oneway traffic? (unlike the Navy ;) ) One or two people complain about the RAF staying hotels all the time and not working weekends. But you make your own choice when you go to the careers office, don't you? If I wanted to live in a hole and get covered in mud, I would have joined the Army. If I liked being stuck in a floating tin box for 6 months at a time, I would have joined the Navy, or the Harrier force :( .
So come on then, who's the best? No sensible answers allowed. Some very good threads going on at the moment, it couldn't last.

John Farley
4th Nov 2001, 22:37
Some very good threads going on at the moment, it couldn't last.

You are right about that

Whipping Boy's SATCO
4th Nov 2001, 23:44
Can we close this thread, now?

LambJalfraezi
5th Nov 2001, 00:02
I refuse to dignify this innane thread with a reply.

Oh bug*er.

'You keep on using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means.'

[ 04 November 2001: Message edited by: LambJalfraezi ]

BEagle
5th Nov 2001, 01:05
Which bit of the RAF is it that doesn't work at the weekend? It's 24/7 at the Secret Oxfordshire Airbase - unless you're a blunty of course! Come to think of it, when we were required to work on Saturdays at Base Aerea Gringo in the Islas Malvinas, most of the Land Rovers still in the car park with cold engines at cease work on Saturdays were certainly not RAF....

[ 04 November 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

Grey Area
5th Nov 2001, 01:50
Surely it's the Women's Royal Auxiliary Balloon Corps

whowhenwhy
5th Nov 2001, 01:58
BEagle couldn't agree more. I have the dubious pleasure of "working" on the island that you mentioned and I can confirm that nothing's changed. The army have a great job down here-Media Liaison Officer. He must be busy. I'll bet he still has a landrover with an "On Q-Shift" sign though! :D :D :D :D

fone_effect
5th Nov 2001, 02:00
Personally I think it's the one that lets you wear a cardi and slippers at work.

34DD
5th Nov 2001, 02:04
Jackonicko go to bed.

Social Hand Grenade indeed - more like Party Popper with a string too short to make it worth pulling

Social Hand Grenade
5th Nov 2001, 12:01
At least a few people can see this thread for what it is, a bit of harmless fun....
Sorry 34DD, I could't stay up and play, it was past my bedtime :( .
BEagle, I know that we work weekends, I was! Up here in the far far north of nowhere we also work 24/7. I know what you mean about those landrovers, must be because it takes so long to get them parked up in nice straight lines.
As I thought so, lots of votes for the Airforce, must be the best then. Anyone disagree?

X-QUORK
5th Nov 2001, 16:39
Would this be the Air Force officers acting with that mature professionalism they keep telling us about ?

Calm down ladies.

Gimme300
5th Nov 2001, 22:46
Best at what?????

From my couple of decades in, I have noted that each Service is best at something

Army - clearly best at parades, riding horses and guarding Buck house. Possibly best at having smartest uniform, although flagrantly disregard the true meaning of unirom by never having 2 people in the same rig - except for on parades (obviously baggy cavalry jumpers and those odd purple trousers excluded. Definitely the best at being eccentric and barking mad.

RAF - Best at staffwork (fortunately for my nautical flying pay!), inventing traditions and looking like ice cream vendors in those funny hats. Not sure about those multicolour clocks, bit to garrish. Also the best at spreading their aircraft out across loads of bases, therefore very kind to the local population re noise complaints!

Navy - Obviously the best at chopping its nose of to spite its face, abusing the goodwill of its personnel and anything to do with flags (standfast parades - see army section)! Best at cramming all its aircraft into a very small area shoreside, and most potential for spending time away from home :) :) :)

whowhenwhy
8th Nov 2001, 01:17
Just whilst talking about pongo's and their dress sense could one of them please explain why it is that they think they look so great in purple or red cords? Especially when they mix them with tweed jackets, checked shirts and the obligitory regimental tie?
:p :p :p

Gravity Selected
8th Nov 2001, 20:43
Army? Bunch of winkers!

Right time, wrong grid. Right grid, wrong time!

Major - "Right lad, can you drop us off at this grid?
Flt Lt - "Certainly Sir, it'll be a short trip though."
Major - "Don't bother me with details, just get us there!"

Flt Lt fiddles with switches in cab for 5 mins - "There you go Sir, how's that?"
Major - "Don't take the **** son, we've not moved."
Flt Lt - "I know. Any chance you could bother with the details and give us your drop point and not the pick up?"

Obviously that applies to all of them. Not a man jack among them I trust!

Flatus Veteranus
8th Nov 2001, 22:46
I listened to King Whatsit of Jordan on the radio this am. Sounded like a nice guy. Said he learned three important things at Sandhurst:-

Ask your Sergeant
Ask your Sergeant
Ask your Sergeant

What are junior officers for in the Army? Perhaps we could save money by just having Sergeants ;)

whowhenwhy
9th Nov 2001, 01:25
What are junior officers for in the army?

a) Ensuring that England has a polo team in the future.
b) Ensuring that the people who make tweed jackets/ purple & red cords/ barber jackets etc don't go out of business.
c) Ensuring that there is always a healthy supply of individuals ready to make an arse of themselves in the bar for Regiment Queen & Country.

Any advance??

:D :D :D