PDA

View Full Version : UAE dispatcher's unite help one another!

alley
24th Sep 2009, 12:36
Dear fellow dispatchers

Due to the economic environment and down sizing by most companies, dispatcher's in the UAE are starting to be affected.

I know a few FAA and GCAA licensed dispatchers who are actively looking out for oppertunities, and therfore I request all of us out there who know of any vacancies, to come together and post known vacancies or companies who are hiring licensed dispatchers.
This will not only help us help those in need but also put a stop to the value of the role from being deminished.
Desperate dispatcher's are accepting placements at a much lesser salary than before!
Yes companies are taking advantage of the economic situation but we have to realize that if we bend now, we are sacrificing the value of our profession!

So please - share any information you may have of Dispatch vacancies in the UAE via this thread and save our future!

Thanks ya'll! :ok:

Cheers!

desertopsguy
24th Sep 2009, 13:31
I think you'll find that anyone who has a good lead on a job will keep it to themselves, especially in the current environment.

With regard to those accepting jobs for low wages, you can thank those from India / Pakistan / Sri Lanka who are known to undercut an advertised salary just to secure a place.

Pay peanuts...well; you know the rest.

Happy hunting.

merlinxx
24th Sep 2009, 15:51
Twas always thus even back in the early days of the 'Big Sandpit':} They sowed their seeds, then they let them reap their crop.:ugh:

Slave labour has always been a part of The Gulf trading history, why is today any different from 1809 :confused:

desertopsguy
25th Sep 2009, 09:49
Indeed you're right Merlin but these days it's worse. There are too many now in the region, they have little or no experience, they can barely follow not to mind lead and they'll gladly work for pittance to escape the nether regions whence they came.

Good people will still command a good salary.

All the best.

aeroground
27th Sep 2009, 08:03
A lot of them in the region I would be very suspect of there qualifications, and where they got their ticket

merlinxx
27th Sep 2009, 17:21
Now there's a name from the past:E Many happy hours in their humble handling shacks.

Desert Ops Guy, how long you in the area? PM me for a chat:E

alley
28th Sep 2009, 04:59
Ops ppl - im looking to find a list of airport categories as in classifications (A,B,AA,BB, etc) anybody come across a lsit of such?:ugh:

oscarlimatango
29th Sep 2009, 08:28
Well, this thread comes with good intentions!

I got here around a year ago with a FAA dispatch cert and a BS in aviation. I would like to think that I am a little more educated then the average joe with a dispatch cert since I have a BS. So even before coming down here, I was applying for a position as an ops assitance, and i never got a reply.

Now i work at a flight support company, doing the usual, and my knowledge just becomes ever more rusty! Ohh how I dreamt my career will start in the ops room and how i have let it go to get my daily bread and butter!

I know companies need experiance, companies want people that are already trained, but what about the freshers like us, who is going to give us a chance?

I can bet, most experianced dispacthers out here are willing to work for peanuts, and therefore why should the companies hire when they can get some one that is more experianced for the same price?

I know very well that in the states, even if you go down to the farms of the midwest, you could easily make 2500 - 3500 after tax as a fresher in a regional, and work your way up to a flag. I know for certain that south west pay their training dispatchers in the region of 40K a year. Now is that even close to what they pay here?

So in reality, over here there is no respect for dispatchers, nor is there enough compensation for it. Just live it and then leave it!

desertopsguy
29th Sep 2009, 10:10
Not so fast,

Quote "I can bet, most experianced dispacthers out here are willing to work for peanuts" ... I don't agree with that, I don't know anyone "experienced" who would live in a squat in DXB working for buttons just to have a job. It may have something to do with your personal definition of experienced.

I went to seminar recently hosted by Emirates and they had very good guest speaker from Australia, a man with a long career in airline operations and the overall opinion was that an experienced flight ops person comes with not less than 10yrs experience to be considered 'experienced'. During this 10yrs you would learn the ropes, get a grip on the basics and build on it, problem solving, decision making, anticipation of events before they happen, working out the optimum outcome wherever possible and lapping up the pressure along the way, by the end of it you've got someone who has pretty much seen it all, exposure is what they call it. Monsters who gobble up every problem that pops up.

You will learn nothing on a good day, you earn your stripes on the days that almost grind you down and leave you frazzled at the end. My point is that...someone who fits this description will not work for peanuts and will take their 6inches where the money is, leaving the 1 inchers to work for the peanuts.

Southwest may pay new hire dispatchers 40k PA but there are some things to bear in mind. Living in the US comes with taxes and a higher cost of living so how much of this 40K would you be left with after all that? Even so, 40K is about 12,300 wotsits per month in the gulf, that's not alot and the pay grades out here are not far off that for someone with a bit of time behind them.

Sorry that you haven't found a break yet but if you limit yourself to one geographical location then it will take longer.

Happy hunting.

Aviatrixx
29th Sep 2009, 12:27
Southwest may have changed their policy, but when I was in your position (newly licensed and just out of college) WN offered me a job in crew scheduling with a two-year committment before I could interview for the dispatch position. One of the majors I worked for prefers to hire from within, which limits them in many ways. "We've always done it that way" is a common refrain.

Don't overlook the freight carriers! The most interesting dispatching I have done was as a freight dawg.

Good luck.

oscarlimatango
29th Sep 2009, 18:15
desertopsguy, i agree on what you said to a certain extent. let me explain, Most experianced ops guys that are willing to work for peanuts are not from the European or the American Continent. I completely agree with you that experiance = 10 years of brain crunching body grinding ops. However, most people from lets say India, Pak, Asian countries that have that sort of experiance are willing to work for lets say 15,000 AED a month. Now woulld you not agree that it is penuts for a professional of that experiance?

now put it in a perspective of a fresher, if they are willing to offer and able to get that for an experianced ops guy, why would they pay the same or near that amount to a fresher?

Now you cannot say that living in all the states is extremely expensive. go down to dallas or fortworth TX, and you would get a decent 1 bed for about $1500.00 a month. that rounds out to about AED 5500. Now where in dubai, unless you go down to naif road or sharjah, would you find that place? now that 40K a year sounds alot more interesting. Believe me, i was living in the midwest and making 3500 after and was living comfy in a 2 bed apt.

what my point is that based on living cost and international standards, pay for dispatchers in UAE are not very apt.

Just my 2cents.

Schibulsky
30th Sep 2009, 16:42
Hi Guys,
if you are from the EU, US or any place with proper labour laws,
STAY AWAY from the ME!!!
Just my advise after 2.5 years with EK.
Even my good salary as a Dispatch Manager did NOT make up for
the fact that Dubai is a sh!thole and EK is a dog and pony show!!
Normal Dispatch salary will not provide enough to live well and save some money!!
EK will most probably end up with only Dispatchers from the subcontinent
or places with similar conditions.
Happy to be outta here....

2000GT
30th Sep 2009, 17:08
OLT,
I disagree with your numbers. I have over 10 years dispatch experience in the States with a regional and was grossing a little over $4K/mo. (disgusting, I know). I was offered a job in the UAE for a little over that. I thought that was ridiculously low until I looked closer.

If I gross $4K/month in the US, approximately 40% goes to the various federal, state and local income taxes in addition to sales taxes, property taxes, Social Security and Medicare deductions. That leaves you with $3K. Deduct another $1K for rent in a crappy apartment=$2K net left for car payment, utilities, food, medical insurance and entertainment (if any is left over).

Let's say I gross the same over here in the UAE. I am fortunate that my employer supplies a very nice apartment for free-no rent. No taxes of any kind, my medical insurance is free and utilities run $40/month. So here I have about $4K/Mo. net for my car payment, food, entertainment and savings. About 2X as much as I would have in the US. I know these are all rough numbers, but you see my point.

Also, I was given almost $10K lump sum as a "settling in fee" to move over here and by law companies are required to give you a month's salary for each year you are employed when you leave as well as a repatriation benefit equal to your initial settling in fee(~$10K). So a $22K "parting gift if you stay for 3 years. All tax-free.

That being said, there are quite a few drawbacks to living and working here but that is a subject for a different post.

jackdaniels
30th Sep 2009, 18:43
gents,
I think we are missing something here... is the word "economic crisis" or "recession" bouncing in your heads lately?? if you look around BA grounded 14 747 few months ago and to keep the airline rolling the whole management had to demit 1 week salary! AF is in deep sour ****, not to mention BMI, VIR,SAS,AZ,LX,TAP, i can go on and on... airlines are all drastically reseizing their deparments and on the other hand its sad to admitt it but the only airlines currently hiring are all in the gulf area!! and when nowadays you get a job offer you really dont wanna miss it!

Schibulsky
1st Oct 2009, 14:50
Thats exactly what the Dishdashes are counting on...but if you are not in financial trouble you better sit out the crisis flipping burgers than come as a slave to the UAE. No rights whatsoever and the contract not worth the paper its on. They dont need you anyway, lots of thirld world dispatchers available to work 6 days a week for peanuts!
What you will find out here after a while is that quality of life is much more important than tax free money!!
Just don't sell your souls guys...

crushmix4u
29th Oct 2009, 12:47
yes don't work for peanuts ..if HR got a dispatcher for 1500 usd /per month guy they continually look for the same kind of guy again . economic crisis will never going to stay like this for long time .people show up they are in crisis but really they don't they just want to stay in same profit which they got lost year .
so dispatcher don't go foe less salary . if this continue this will become a market salary in UAE for dispatcher.
they give dispatcher a less salary for economic crisis , but your ops manager will a get new Ferrari car .