PDA

View Full Version : FedEx European operation from cologne using A300B4's ??

J.I.P
24th Sep 2009, 10:58
Ive heard a rumour that from 2010 FedEx will operate A300B4's out of their new hub Cologne? Does anyone know some more about this? and if yes, how to apply?

thank you kindly:ok:

Dengue_Dude
24th Sep 2009, 18:09
They may well use Air Contractors if that's true as there are a lot of type-rated and experienced crews kicking around.

Good luck either way.

Flightmech
24th Sep 2009, 19:59
The majority of the FRA operation will move to CGN in 2010. We no longer use ACLs A300's, just the ATRs. It will be with FedEx A300-600s and A310-200/300s.

trashhauler
24th Sep 2009, 20:00
All Fed Ex pilots are Memphis base and bid for overseas. You need a green card to fly for Fed Ex. At me moment Fed Ex is way over crewed and not hiring

wheelbarrow
24th Sep 2009, 22:57
Are they going to be bringing more aircraft over here? Pity the playing field is not level and we could take our planes over to US to take them on!
When is the EU going to demand that we keep routes in Europe for European airlines?

Flightmech
24th Sep 2009, 23:55
Here we go again:ugh:

J.I.P
25th Sep 2009, 08:34
Thank you for the reply's already. I heard they would use a300b4's instead of the a300-600. I am rated for the B4 and out of a job. So if any of you know other job openings for the B4 please let me know!

Thank you kindly again:ok:

BBFive
25th Sep 2009, 11:40
When is the EU going to demand that we keep routes in Europe for European airlines?

Well first you have to get an Airline (cargo). Unless you count the hundreds of contractors that fly the TNT sytem or DHL.
Oh didn't DHL come to the states, they did a great job. :eek:
Seriously, its a shame that a European Company will not form with their own system with company owned aircraft and company pilots/ mechanics instead of all these contracts and schemes.
Good Luck,
Wickedride

side note:
Is there a quote feature on this website??????

underread east
25th Sep 2009, 14:07
DHL did come to the states. They were thwarted by protectionist law. Had they been allowed to properly buy those airlines and thereby optomise them with the RIGHT equipment to be efficient and competitve they may have stood some chance of at least turning a decent profit.

Although to be fair, the fact that to FEDEX something is in the national psyche, it was always going to be a challenging market.

hvydriver
25th Sep 2009, 14:46
Actually East, DHL Airways, Inc. was at one time a subsidiary of DHL in the US. When DPWN bought DHL, they integrated the ground operations into the global entity, and spun off the airline into what is now Astar. There were plenty of opportunities to optimise Airways prior to that mistake. Each time DHL was approached about the need to modernize the fleet prior to the DPWN purchase, the response was always the same. "We'll do that later." DPWN is the sole reason that DHL globally is in the shape it is in today. It's a bunch of formerly government subsidized postmen trying to run a global express operation. I'd say they are doing a stellar job of cratering what was once a fine company. And, in record time. Of course, one must toss into the mix the ABF purchase as well. Instead of taking time trying to integrate the two businesses in a controlled manner, they started up a huge ad campaign in the US when the ink was scarcely dry on the purchase agreement, and attempted to merge the two sort operations in one weekend. We all know how that turned out. It was a blunder of spectacular magnitude, from which the company never recovered. Your "protectionist law" theory is full of holes. DPWN should have had the intelligence to leave the US corporate set up alone. It worked quite well as it stood.

PS. Sorry for contributing to thread drift mods.

GAZIN
25th Sep 2009, 15:29
Technically they are B4's, A300B4-600. Which is the only version at FedEx with either GE or P&W engines.

BBFive
25th Sep 2009, 16:40
How many Pilots are on the DHL payroll in Europe?? Not contractors, people who's paychecks actually carry the DHL logo and employed by DHL.

Can a US airline outright own and control an European airline??

You do know that there are Fifth Freedom rights between Europe and US??

Thats how FedEx and UPS work in Europe (at least pretty sure). There is no law that would prevent an European Cargo (or pax) from doing the same. Except the law of economics.

Fr8Dog
7th Oct 2009, 21:05
Is there a quote feature on this website??????

BB5 the icon to the left of the #

FR8

MrIkea
8th Oct 2009, 16:05
@ BBFive.

You are wrong. It is impossible for a European company to take cargo from let's say JFK to LAX. And that is because of protectionism on behalve of the usa.

And second, I would say about 350+ who are working for or EAT or DHL UK which are both completely owned by DHL

And by the way, when DHL was operating in the states, they were still employing americans.

It is just abnormal that fedex & ups are flying in europe with N-registered a/c & faa-crews. If the european union would get the same laws about cabotage as the states has , this would not be possible! Unfortunately the european union does not have the power yet to impose such laws. As here , those usa operators make agreements with individual contries.

There is an open-skies agreement in europe. but not in the states.

hvydriver
8th Oct 2009, 20:32
DHL Airways was a US company, till DPWN bought DHL. It was a subsidary of DHLWWE.

BrowntailWhale
9th Oct 2009, 00:30
Here's the type of aircraft that FedEx will be using intra-Europe.

Photos: Cessna 310... Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Federal-Express/Cessna-310.../0535501/L/&sid=bc387532ef34877bb0312081639c6d32)

Flightmech
9th Oct 2009, 13:44
:eek:Does that qualify for wide-bodied pay?? I suppose you brown boys will use this?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rez.manzoori/fakes/ups-an124.jpg

:)

BrowntailWhale
9th Oct 2009, 14:30
The 310 wasn't a photoshop dream. FedEx really operated it.

Flightmech
9th Oct 2009, 15:09
I am aware, it was only in jest, hence the :) :ugh:

Flying_Frisbee
10th Oct 2009, 11:20
8th October 2009 22:32 hvydriver
DHL Airways was a US company, till DPWN bought DHL.
At which point, US law prevented DHL, as a non-US owned company from owning a US airline.
WHich meant DHL had to then basically outsource its air operations to ABX, Polar, etc, with the asoociated additional costs.

hvydriver
10th Oct 2009, 12:51
Frisbee,

That is true. The point I was trying to make is that DPWN made the choice to organize DHL in the manner that they did. If they had left DHL's structure alone, then the extra costs would not have been a factor. I think we're both saying the same thing, but from different points of view. ;) The end result is the same though. I'm out of a job after flying 20 years for DHL.

Castaway2008
11th Oct 2009, 09:00
As Flightmech says-FRAOPS will move to CGN-& I haven't heard of any additions to the fleet due to this move- It's the late flights that are affected-also for those of you who did not know the FX brand pre 1992 in Europe this is what served SNN & WAT ex BRU nightly-
Photo of Cessna 208 Caravan I, EI-FDX, Iona National Airways (IND) (http://www.irishairpics.com/photo/1005107/M/Cessna-208-Caravan-I/EI-FDX/Iona-National-Airways-IND/?&sid=5111884237&sp=2) :)

Nitefrater
15th Oct 2009, 06:12
"@ BBFive.

You are wrong. It is impossible for a European company to take cargo from let's say JFK to LAX. And that is because of protectionism on behalve of the usa.

And second, I would say about 350+ who are working for or EAT or DHL UK which are both completely owned by DHL

And by the way, when DHL was operating in the states, they were still employing americans.

It is just abnormal that fedex & ups are flying in europe with N-registered a/c & faa-crews. If the european union would get the same laws about cabotage as the states has , this would not be possible! Unfortunately the european union does not have the power yet to impose such laws. As here , those usa operators make agreements with individual contries.

There is an open-skies agreement in europe. but not in the states."

Actually, MrIkea, you might start with an ICAO refresher here: Freedoms of the air - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedoms_of_the_air)

You're comparing apples and oranges, in that the Freedoms of the Air are codified in treaties between and among COUNTRIES, not continents.

Note that the countries of the EU have signed a multilateral agreement to allow cabotage AMONG THEMSELVES, but that doesn't include the rest of the world. FedEx (using U.S. crews and N-registered aircraft) may pick up French origination freight in Paris and fly it to Germany (Frankfurt e.g.), but not to Marseilles. (5th freedom, but no 8th freedom)

To the rest of the world, there is no such thing as a "European Airline" (what's the registration letter for the EU again?). Rather there are airlines that belong to various European nations. Any of those airlines may operate in and through the U.S. on exactly the same terms as a U.S. airline may operate in and through that country (i.e. no cabotage).
It's not a case of the U.S needing to adopt EU cabotage laws. European nations once had the same cabotage laws as the U.S. but chose to cede their sovereignty on this (and other) issues.

Pagan_angel
16th Oct 2009, 12:59
FedEx boosts Asia-Europe connectivity
http://www.worldacd.com/images/filler.gifhttp://www.worldacd.com/images/filler.gifHONG KONG, Oct 14 (WorldACD) - FedEx Express, a unit of FedEx Corp., has introduce a new next-business-day service connecting mainland China, Hong Kong and Singapore with France and Germany.

FedEx said with these initial indicators of an economic recovery, the service enhancement will provide a one-business-day transit time to Europe for FedEx International Priority shipments that originate from Hong Kong, Shanghai and Singapore destined for Frankfurt, Cologne and Paris, from Monday to Thursday.

The Asia-to- Europe air cargo market is expected to expand at an average annual rate of 6.5 per cent in the next two decades.

Are FedEx in Cologne already (Thought the hub was not built yet)? One business day from Asia sounds pretty zippy to me - are the boxes being thrown out of the planes with parachutes?:}

Flightmech
16th Oct 2009, 13:30
There has been an MD11 "express freighter" (FX3) operating CDG-CGN-MEM for some time now.

Pagan_angel
16th Oct 2009, 16:19
I guess the Asia volume is from CAN to CDG - then CDG-CGN-MEM as mentioned.... but I'm wondering what's being mixed into the jet fuel :} to give it that extra boost:).

J.I.P
22nd Oct 2009, 18:02
Lately I heard some new rumours about a company with A300's registered in Slovakia will operate on behalve of Fedex in Europe. Anyone knows if this is true?

I currently work outside the cockpit but inside the Air Cargo business and I see the amount of cargo increasing every day. How about your companies guys? I am especially interested in companyies flying the A300B4; DHL/EAT, MNG, ACT, Midex, Kuzu, etc etc...

Please let me know!
:ok:

3pointlanding
14th Aug 2012, 18:35
FedEx is getting rid of the Airbus junk A310's and A-300-600's and the MD-10's. There are no B-4's. The company is getting a lot more 757's and a host of spanking new 767's. With the added 777's even the MD-11's are starting to look over their shoulder. With the cost of fuel and FAR Part 26, it is just getting too expensive to fly gas guzzling junk.

Flightmech
14th Aug 2012, 20:02
Some of the A300-600s are fairly new. In fact we had the last one off the line I believe. Many of the 310s are already in the desert boneyard. Thats where the MD10s will be heading too. I don't think the MD11s are going anywhere for a while, in fact 5 ex Transmile airframes were added last year.

cedgz
16th Aug 2012, 14:27
at this time CGN only have b757's,md11's and b777's, no scarebusses.
A300-600's fly out of cdg on short high density routes, ie MXP, STN-DUB, MAD, CPH
md11's will stay for a while, such as a300-600's
a310,b727 and md10 to VCV boneyard