PDA

View Full Version : Sea Jet becomes River Jet

rollerbob
9th Oct 2001, 02:56
BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/england/newsid_1586000/1586959.stm) :eek: Was present at the time (but not a witness) Good luck for a full recovery.

Arkroyal
9th Oct 2001, 21:48
Good job it wasn't Friday, could've wiped out the boys on the way to the Lamb and Lark :D

Hope the stovie is OK

Up Very Gently
9th Oct 2001, 23:18
Glad the pilot is OK, thank God. Anyone know how badly the jet is stuck, and what plans, if any yet, are there to get it out? Ta.

UVG

The Nr Fairy
10th Oct 2001, 12:21
Saw some footage of said SHAR ( Stream Harrier ) up to the gunwales in a stream on BBC Points West yesterday evening.

Looked like the wing box had come loose, bang seat rail clearly visible, but it appeared mostly intact otherwise, although I'm no expert a water landing appeared to have helped at least the upper bits enormously. It remains to be seen how badly damaged the underneath is.

What got my goat was the Beeb hyping it up - "three crashes in 15 months", "so-and-so was walking her dogs by minutes earlier". Interview with the lady concerned revealed she'd been in the area some 45 minutes earlier.

Reheat On
11th Oct 2001, 00:18
Given that a SHAR does not need a full runway, one has to ponder if this was major failure on t/o or a roll which resulted in a rapid return to the runway, but resulted in an overshoot of unfortunate proportions.

Just might be that it was AFC material - pilot and aircraft both returning to service in due course. the BBC story is fair enough but they are hardly likely to have the facts!

Best wishes for the recovery to full height of the jock. Trust his discs expand in due course and the whiplash is minimal.

Helmut Visorcover
11th Oct 2001, 01:51
Just watched the local and they say its Cat 5. Ooops! Glad to see blokey ok though. :cool:

kbf1
11th Oct 2001, 02:38
It made the beeb news tonight with pics of it being pulled out of the water. the top half looks ok, but the underside is badly damaged and the nose cone is off, not to mention the damage to the engine and avionics due to water ingestions and collision. The reporter said that the RN think it unlikely that it will ever fly again. They also said a BoI was imminent to establish the cause of the accident.

awayday
12th Oct 2001, 20:58
Who was the guy in, then out of, the seat? Glad he is doing OK. My regards, ginger scouser!!

grimfixer
17th Oct 2001, 22:32
Apparently he was too engrossed in the latest copy of Marie Claire to conduct a full overshoot :D

awayday
18th Oct 2001, 07:35
Sounds like Mike Whiskey to me, he was always into girlie magazines as an insight into their minds. Didn't need it most of the time as he has always been a smooth-talking-charming git.

Charlie Bravo,

MadsDad
18th Oct 2001, 09:20
Don't know who was flying but I know that locally there is a lot of respect for the pilot's skill. After all it's a very small river and it took a good shot to hit it.

Apparently the local pub darts team is putting in a bid to get him to for their team.