PDA

View Full Version : At last someone has seen sense.........

Rude C'man
26th Nov 2001, 22:41
It's official RAF Odiham is NOT moving to the Navy's 'waste of good land'. The mighty Wokka fleet will be staying at its prefered base, here at Odiham. Three cheers for the Ministers hip hip... hip hip,... hip hip..., bloody hooray! Nice one JHC I wonder how much money that study wasted?
By the way anyone want to buy a cheap house near Yeovil , there's a few people at Odiham with some for sale. "Happy days are here again" :D

TURNBULL
26th Nov 2001, 23:08
And where did this excellent piece of news come from? :)

Grimweasel
27th Nov 2001, 00:26
Sounds like just the venue for a few Hercs of whatever Mk? Or maybe A 400m if partner nations ever decide to build the wretched thing. For gods sake, lets just buy the C17!!

But these days who knows. The rumour mill is just so chokker (wokka)

Wokka
27th Nov 2001, 00:40
Reference the source for Odiham staying open, does the Station Commander appearing on Meridian news and announcing it count :D :D
I'll drink to that.

Rude C'man
27th Nov 2001, 02:02
Thanks Wokka , oh yea of little faith , wasn't Thomas a doubter? look what happened to him!
Come on boys and girls get with the plot and keep up to date .. :cool: :rolleyes:

Tiger_mate
27th Nov 2001, 02:41
A Senior Bod whose name is similar to a horses house was heard to prefer the Wetstreams to relocate to Yeovil, something to do with lots of free airspace to play in. Seemed unlikely at the time*, but who knows now.

*B4 the Reds moved to Scampton from the very overcrowded Lincolnshire Technical College.

T_M
;) ;)

[ 27 November 2001: Message edited by: Tiger_mate ]

Q Banate
27th Nov 2001, 03:56
Just a rumour I heard about Yeovilton....from someone in 'the system'....take from it what you will, but it sounded pretty good to me:

19 (R) Sqn may move their operation there. Makes sense really, which is why it will probably never happen. I mean, they've flown Hawk from there before, it's MUCH closer and more convenient to Pembrey than the V place, and they have all of LFA2 available, as well as south Wales, to fly in. Top it off with being a half decent location that people would be happy to live in and I'd say it was a rumour worth spreading fast!
Cheers
Q-B :p

Alf Aworna
27th Nov 2001, 04:51
Well its almost Chivenor....

BEagle
27th Nov 2001, 11:46
Hawks in Somerset? Excellent idea!! It'd be good to have jets back in the area - especially if Merryfield was upgraded as a diversion aerodrome as well! First RAF jets back since the days of 208 AFS' Vampires in the '50s?? Excluding Bassingbourn's Canberras when they were rsurfacing the place......ah them were 't days when the RAF was a decent size!!

Any reason to move aircraft away from V***** must be a good thing!!

shack
27th Nov 2001, 19:23
BEagle, as someone who was a QFI at 208 AFS Merryfield in the early 50s, firstly with the Meatbox and then the Vamp the very mention of the name brought tears to my eyes.

BEagle
28th Nov 2001, 00:51
shack - then you must have been one of those responsible for getting me interested in joining the RAF! We lived very close to the aerodrome; drive along the road at the 26 threshold away from Ilton towards Isle Brewers and then turn right down the hill and we lived at the bottom next to the farm. Many a time we walked up the hill to watch the RAF (which I can just remember), then later the FAA when Yeovilton was being extended for the 'Vixen!

Presumably you knew Pete Cornish? The ironic thing was that I was interviewed by him some dozen years later when I was going through entry procedures for Cranwell. Also did my first solo flight there in a glider from Locking, learned to drive there, learned to fly model radio controlled aircraft there.....and learned certain other things in the old bomb dump which I won't talk about!

Last flew there in 2000 doing a PPL biennial check on a RN chap in his Chipmunk. All the old buildings have been removed and it looks pristine...

Were you there when Westlands did the 'vectored thrust Meteor' trials?? And was it a Welkin which was parked behind the Westlands hangar?

Sorry to hijack the thread, Wokka mates!

[ 27 November 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

Chinook
28th Nov 2001, 09:05
RAF Odiham not to close ... thats the best news I've heard in ages. It's very sunny here in 'the ville' now but I sure do miss Crooked Blue Things and suspender belts ... both items on other people, not on me.

Good to hear!!

Regards to all, still working on the wings for P.R.