PDA

View Full Version : VOTE: What is the most important US-made aircraft in RAF history?

Park82
23rd Sep 2009, 11:38
After the tremendous success of our last RAF Benevolent Fund poll, in which the Tornado won the vote for the RAF's greatest post-WW2 fighter jet, we have decided to run another poll.

This time the vote is to decide:

What is the most important US-made aircraft in RAF history?

To vote, visit our special new 90th anniversary microsite, by clicking on the link below:

www.rafbf90.org.uk (http://www.rafbf90.org.uk/)

About our new microsite: "90 Faces of the RAF Benevolent Fund":

To celebrate our 90 years of work since being established by Lord Trenchard in 1919, our new microsite features 90 stories about our beneficiaries, history, fundraisers and supporters.

If you visit you can listen to Winston Churchill's famous 1951 radio broadcast on behalf of the RAFBF, watch videos of beneficiaries and serving personnel describe how we help, learn about the enormous support we enjoy among the RAF family and the various ways we are celebrating our 90th anniversary this year.

Park82
30th Sep 2009, 15:28
After strong demand on other forums we have now added the Douglas Dakota to our vote to find the most important US-made aircraft in RAF history.

At the moment the Hercules and Phantom are battling it out for top spot, with the Liberator and Chinook a good way behind. Five other choices are scrapping it out for the remaining votes.

Please add your vote now and let us know what you think! Just visit:

www.rafbf90.org.uk (http://www.rafbf90.org.uk/)

and make your choice!

Duncan D'Sorderlee
1st Oct 2009, 14:46
What about the B-17 VLRMPA? Battle of the Atlantic and all that.

Duncs:ok:

Finnpog
1st Oct 2009, 14:48
Surely the F-111 had an enormous impact on the RAF?:*:(

minigundiplomat
1st Oct 2009, 15:06
Easy, the CH-47 Chinook.

I don't remember public outcry because we didn't have enough F4's or F-111.

green granite
1st Oct 2009, 15:10
I think it ought to be the P51 Mustang, probably the most versatile fighter bomber of WW2

airborne_artist
1st Oct 2009, 15:15
I think it ought to be the P51 Mustang, probably the most versatile fighter bomber of WW2

There'll be a few Mosquito and Beaufighter fans who'll take issue with that exact statement. That said, the P51 is up there.

GPMG
1st Oct 2009, 15:56
MGD, we never had F-111's but it did scupper a certain project that is held dear to many an aviation fans heart (of a certain age). Older than me but I remember my Dad going on about it.

ian16th
1st Oct 2009, 16:47
The Consolidated PBY Catalina, Lockheed Hudson, Brewster Buffalo, Bell P-39 Airacobra and Curtiss P-40 Tomahawk / Kittyhawk all come to mind.

Is the Canadair Sabre F-86 to be classed as ‘American’?

If Canadian built/designed a/c are classed as ‘American’, where do we put the De Haviland (Canada) Chipmunk?

The Brewster Buffalo could be nominated as 'important' as it showed just how many things can be got wrong in one a/c.

Ridge Runner
1st Oct 2009, 18:37
I just can't get over the Tornado getting the top spot for the most important British type. What about the Lightning, as one example. Didn't it do a sterlingh job on QRA for many many years. The Tornado, after all, is not a pure bred British product! People are strange. Strange too when the Herc and the F-4 in the US list are up there and others like the many machines of WW2 and post-WW2 RAF that have made huge impacts. The Tornado wouldn't have got my vote! RR

T-21
1st Oct 2009, 19:33
I would say the Harvard because it trained so many RAF pilots.

Ian Burgess-Barber
1st Oct 2009, 19:41
I would agree the C47 Dakota would be a front runner but the North American Co. not only fielded the superb (once it got the right engine) Mustang, but also the B25 Mitchell and, simply the best advanced trainer of all - the AT6A later called the Harvard in it's RAF designation. It was fundamental in training RAF (and every other air forces Pilots who trained in it) to fly everything else in the inventory - surely the most important US-made A/C in RAF history?

Brewster Buffalo
1st Oct 2009, 20:05
The Brewster Buffalo could be nominated as 'important' as it showed just how many things can be got wrong in one a/c.

I say..that is a bit harsh. Yes I may be a bit overweight but I did quite well at Singapore where I was outnumbered and poor organisation also meant I was often fighting at a height disadvantage...

When I was a bit trimmer I did well in Finnish winter war..

BB

mr fish
1st Oct 2009, 20:34
i know a few blokes (and women) who are glad we have the SEA KING:ok:

Herod
1st Oct 2009, 21:53
Got to be a choice between the C47 and the C130. The first because of the tremendous input of men and equipment in all theatres of WW2, the second because of it's long service (40+ years) of projecting Britain around the globe. Not just in war zones, but in the humanitarian role. It's over thirty years since I last flew the Hercules, but the phrase "the only suitable replacement for an old Hercules is a new Hercules" still holds good.

powerstall
1st Oct 2009, 23:47
The C47 Dakota or the Gooney Bird did have a big role in WWII. Especially in the European theater. And up to now a bit of them are still flying. You gotta give it the DAKOTA. :ok:

AC3854
2nd Oct 2009, 00:47
'The C47 Dakota or the Gooney Bird did have a big role in WWII. Especially in the European theater. And up to now a bit of them are still flying. You gotta give it the DAKOTA.'

Fed the bloody XIVth Army in Burma as well. Still forgotten ...

Feather #3
2nd Oct 2009, 04:40
Say, BB, could you please tell us just exactly how well you did in Singapore??:confused:

G'day ;)

H.Finn
2nd Oct 2009, 05:30
BB is showing his age, doesn't remember that he just missed our Winter War, but did outstandingly well in the "Continuation War" of 1941 - 44.

chevvron
2nd Oct 2009, 09:30
Tornado - the North American RB45 version.(but I didn't say that 'cos we're not officially supposed to know the RAF flew them!)

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Oct 2009, 11:43
Tornado ???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Most capable would be Typhoon, most popular is probably Lightning, most significant in terms of power projection is probably the Harrier, and then there's the Hunter and Phantom.

How on earth did Tornado get labelled "greatest" which didn't as a "fighter" even have a serviceable radar for about half it's life.

Anyhow, most important US made aircraft; probably the Phantom, which plugged a huge capability gap in air defence post-lightning that couldn't readily have been filled by a UK built aeroplane at the time. T6 and C47 both did a lot, but both could have been filled by British aircraft if it hadn't come along. Mind you, you could say something very similar about C130.

G

Herod
2nd Oct 2009, 15:25
According to my book here, the first production Beverley flew in January 1955. The first C-130 flew in April of the same year. Which British aircraft could have filled the Hercules role?

Dick Whittingham
4th Oct 2009, 21:33
What about the P47 in Burma? The forgotten war?

Dick

Rigga
4th Oct 2009, 22:33
Has to be the Dakota, From the first plans as a pre-war airliner to use in most(if not all) the major air operations thoughout the Second World War, and afterwards in the Berlin airlift - and then into the 70's for conversion to turbine engines - AND still flying! (And it would be in UK too if not for EASA!)

Can't think of ANY British aircraft that could've done that at the time?

OBAman
4th Oct 2009, 23:02
Compare the Dakota, first flown in 1935, with the British airliners just appearing at that time. Such as the Ensign and Albatross, despite looking superficially as modern, all are clearly way behind the Dakota, a remarkable aeroplane. Not sure it was the most important for the RAF, but globally the most important plane ever produced, I'd say

WHBM
5th Oct 2009, 09:16
Dakota, no contest. Hercules has never really been in the thick of active service; I don't think one has ever been lost in action.

Dave Gittins
5th Oct 2009, 09:53
Never used in a war zone ?

BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | RAF Hercules was shot down - Reid (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4510324.stm)

kluge
5th Oct 2009, 11:50
Perhaps not the most important US-made aircraft in RAF history, but an important contribution nonethleless - the RB29A Washington.

An interesting read: 192 Squadron Washingtons by Dave Forster (http://www.rafwatton.info/History/TheWashington/192SquadronWashingtons/tabid/91/Default.aspx)

Tankertrashnav
6th Oct 2009, 08:46
Just to reverse the question, have the USAF/USAAF etc ever operated purely British aircraft (leaving aside developments such as the B57 and AV8)? There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here, I'm sure someone will know.

Stevemcmli
6th Oct 2009, 10:12
Just to reverse the question, have the USAF/USAAF etc ever operated purely British aircraft (leaving aside developments such as the B57 and AV8)?

I'll open the bidding with the Shorts Sherpa (USAF and Army), Slingsby Firefly (Not too successfully!!) (USAF), HP Jetstream (USAF), BaE Hawk (US Navy).

In WWII. Bristol Beaufighter, DH Mosquito, various marks of Spitfire, I even think I recall seeing a photo of a Bolton Paul Defiant target tug is USAAF colours.

Incidentally, my nomination for US aircraft operated by the RAF must go the the Dakota as it is the only type mentioned still on charge (BBMF aircraft) and after almost 70 years of service.

Dave Gittins
6th Oct 2009, 11:38
I love the logic .. that must make HMS Victory the Navy's best ever ship after just about 200 years on commission and still going (I think it is the world's longest continually comissioned naval vessel).

I love the Gooney bird and would love to fly one .. but I think the Herc takes it

Stevemcmli
6th Oct 2009, 14:57
I love the logic .. that must make HMS Victory the Navy's best ever ship after just about 200 years on commission and still going (I think it is the world's longest continually comissioned naval vessel).

You've got to respect the advanced use of wood, canvas and wind power on Victory giving her the smallest radar and IR signature in the fleet!

Rory57
6th Oct 2009, 20:40
So much history to consider: way things are going, it could be the Chinook, way things might go yet, could be the JSF. If firepower alone is the measure, how about the Thor? Then again, being personal, father-in-law was shot down, in a Boston, 1942, so that's most important to me.

Tankertrashnav
7th Oct 2009, 08:25
Steve - Thanks for the info above. I was aware of Spitfires, I think, but was surprised at the variety of other types. Considering the number of similar spec US aircraft how did we persuade the Americans to buy Jetstreams ;) ?

Ridge Runner
7th Oct 2009, 08:36
The Jetstream never entered service with the USAF. The only picture I've ever seen is on the box of an Airfix kit, I think!

A point of order - this is about history so how did the JSF ever get mentioned here?

RR

Load Toad
7th Oct 2009, 10:21
Surely the most important US built aircraft is the one that if it hadn't existed we would have been up Pooh Street without?

Dakota then innit?

Stevemcmli
7th Oct 2009, 15:09
Hey RR, you're quite right the Jetstream (USAF designation C-10) didn't actually enter sevice but the USAF did order 11 so it kind of counts.

OBAman
7th Oct 2009, 15:23
You can't discount the AV-8 as a variant either. All USMC AV-8A's were just Harrier Mk.1's built by Hawker Siddeley, so WERE purely British, as were the Spanish Navy's original Matador's. Also, in an earlier era the US operated the DH4 and SE5a in large numbers

Park82
15th Oct 2009, 13:38
Many thanks for all your votes to find the most important US-made aircraft in RAF history.

We will be closing down the poll soon so please, if you haven't voted yet, make your choice now - there is still time to change the outcome! Just click on the link below to vote.

www.rafbf90.org.uk (http://www.rafbf90.org.uk)

At the moment the Phantom is leading the Hercules by about 50 votes, with all other options trailing far behind. We are a little surprised that there have not been more votes for the Liberator or Dakota, but the Phantom does seem to enjoy some serious support!

cml387
15th Oct 2009, 20:10
I'm probably preaching to the converted here, but for our younger viewers have a look at:
http://www.******************************/contents.php

for some details of the Phantom in RAF service.
Oops sorry about the referral. Something about Thunder and Lightnings.

Blacksheep
16th Oct 2009, 07:11
The Phantom as used in RAF service wasn't the standard US military issue machine. It was a specially built re-design to UK specifications with British engines.