PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the ditch

Albie72
23rd Sep 2009, 05:21
I am looking at flying a single engine or small twin from Bendigo over to Auckland, via Lord Howe and Norfolk. Does anyone have any advice for crossing the ditch?

Martin VanNostrum
23rd Sep 2009, 06:08
:ok:We flew a 58 Baron from the Gold Coast-Lord Howe-Auckland. Apart from a bursting bladder (mine) it was little problem.
Arrange to clear Australian Customs in Lord Howe. The local, and only policeman, was also the customs agent. Check your ERSA for details who to contact.
You will need HF, life vests, raft, etc.
Arrange an arrival time to clear customs in Auckland before departing Australia.
If flying a single with no ferry tanks I guess you would want to go Port Macquarie-Lord Howe-Norfolk-New Zealand. However someone more familiar with a single-engine crossing would know more than me.
Good luck.

dogcharlietree
24th Sep 2009, 14:24
Lord Howe can be a bit tricky. Be prepared for the three windsocks to be horizontal and all 120degrees out of alignment with each other. If it is windy, it will be turbulent. Do not attempt a greaser! Just put it down. Carry good survival equipment. When going from Norfolk to Auckland, I was happy when I saw Three Kings Islands approaching on the starboard side. Plan well and enjoy your adventure.

ausflyer
24th Sep 2009, 15:41
Just a thought. Why not give Johnny a call at Williams Aviation, Tocumwal. He did the run some time back in M20 KKF. He has been around the block many a year, and for those in the know, he is an upfront, no bull-****e type of fellow.
Like l said, its just a thought..................
Cheer's,
Aus':ok:

now just where is that bad bottle of red..................?:hmm:

cutter2
25th Sep 2009, 02:18
Arrive in NZ at Kerikeri, you can do customs etc there.

Yousef Breckenheimer
25th Sep 2009, 09:54
empty plastic drink bottles for comfort stops

Jabawocky
25th Sep 2009, 12:12
empty plastic drink bottles for comfort stops

And when full.....don't get confused! :uhoh:

Horatio Leafblower
25th Sep 2009, 12:39
...because with random Alcohol testing, they'll know you've been on th piss!:}

Jabawocky
26th Sep 2009, 03:01
Thread Drifte Alert

you could hand over the bottle and say TEST THIS........ they would have a far better idea of all sorts of things then!

Atlas Shrugged
27th Sep 2009, 01:58
From memory, somewhere in here are some posts by Bevan 666 who's done the trip, but I couldn't be arsed searching for them

1. This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 14 seconds.

................waiting :ugh:

Bevan666
27th Sep 2009, 02:04
Yup, flew a bonanza over there in 2005. I think I posted some stuff about it previously, if you search for postings from me.

If you are prepared (raft, lifejackets, epirbs (406 mhz with built in GPS) etc) and have some good weather heading into LHI you will have a great time.

Didnt carry a HF BTW. Flew VFR under a sartime, and at LHI and Norfolk had people on the radio asking us for an ETA as soon as we got within VHF range.

Also, there was enough traffic flying overhead to relay position reports when we wanted.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Bevan..

Albie72
13th Oct 2009, 01:49
Thanks for all your help guys....

seaeagle2323
16th Oct 2009, 08:01
watch old at lord howe pick ur winds, 15kts from the north or south its amazing what they can do

triton140
16th Oct 2009, 11:56
You can even do it in a Jabiru (http://www.jabiru.net.au/Photopage/Magazine%20Articles/Aust%20to%20NZ%20flight/J230%20flight%20to%20NZ.pdf)!

cavemanzk
16th Oct 2009, 19:25
New Zealand airport infortmatiom & services information (e.g customs) can be found at AIP New Zealand (http://www.aip.net.nz).

Brian Abraham
17th Oct 2009, 03:03
You can even do it in a Jabiru

And you can do it in a two stroke - non stop Victoria to NZ as did this very aircraft.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/babraham227/JLG.jpg

magnum pi
17th Oct 2009, 23:27
Due to recent changes you now have to apply to land at Keri Keri.
The customs etc have to travel up from somewhere south of there.The cost is $6-700.
Contact Air centre one and they can do all the applications etc...Robin Leach ?..

Magnum

Bevan666
18th Oct 2009, 08:53
I entered and departed from Whangarei, which is ~40nm south from keri keri. Customs are based at the harbour, and the callout charge for them to come to the airfield was nothing major, as I seem to recall.

Just ring them up - I found them all to be more then helpful.

Bevan..