PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming PPL Theory Test

Jazzy78910
23rd Sep 2009, 01:40
I have to complete my PPL Theory Test in the next few weeks, and I've chosen to do it with ASL Testing, based at Archerfield.

I read on their site that you are allowed to use CASA issued documents, such as the CAR, ERSA, VFR Flight Guide, CAAPs, CAO, AIP etc

These are massive documents, so my question is this: How do I go about getting copies of these documents to take with me on test day? They are too long to print, and I didn't really want to have to purchase bound copies from CASA just for the test day. What does everyone else do?

Any other thoughts or recommendations for the test itself would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jazz

tmpffisch
23rd Sep 2009, 01:43
Borrow them from another pilot?

b_sta
23rd Sep 2009, 02:19
Your flight school may be able to lend you copies. Mind you, the VFG (which is a book you can buy from any aviation store or directly from ASA - in fact you should already have one!) will already have a very large percentage of the answers to reg questions in the test.

Peter Fanelli
23rd Sep 2009, 02:24
They are too long to print, and I didn't really want to have to purchase bound copies from CASA just for the test day. What does everyone else do?

So you don't ever plan on referring to them again in the future?

bentleg
23rd Sep 2009, 02:56
ERSA and AIP you need to own (and maintain) as a pilot. The others maybe you can borrow.

Jazzy78910
23rd Sep 2009, 04:01
Thanks for the replies. I have the ERSA and Visual Flight Guide (couldn't live without them), the CARs and the CAAPs were the one's I was concerned about.

I generally refer to them online, but obviously this wouldn't be an option for the test. I might go down the road of trying to borrow some hard copies.

How often is the CAR amended, or more to the point, how often would I have to purchase a new copy to keep it up to date?

OZBUSDRIVER
23rd Sep 2009, 04:09
Maybe too late to change your venue. You can book to do PPL online through ASL from your flying training organisation. CPL and higher and you must attend an ASL site.

If you can do it at your school you can have access to the schools hardcopies of the Regs and CAAP. I have to admit, most everything was contained in the VFG and some from ERSA and the only CAAP I refered to was as suggested by my instructor and that was the one on ALAs CAAP92..I think(just checked..thats the one:ok:)?

If you haven't paid your money yet, I would investigate doing the test online from your own school.

Bounceferret
3rd Oct 2009, 13:04
VFR guide, ERSA & PCA + flight planning materials will be all you need.
CAR's and CAAPS needed more so for the CPL exams

you'll be surprised how little of airlaw the PPL exam goes into.

recommend focusing on operational meteorology, performance, 1 in 60 and aircraft systems.

magic words on PPL flight test "refer to AIP" if your unsure of something ATO asks or "I can't be 100% sure but i can show you where to find the answer"
study up and you'll be right!

VH-XXX
3rd Oct 2009, 22:28
When I did my ppl theory cyber exam I didn't know what aip's even were so you won't need them as long as you have vfg and ersa. You might need to know what an ambulatory person is, brush up on fuelling distances, density height calcs, basic human factors, converting est to cst etc and first and last light calcs.

tmpffisch
3rd Oct 2009, 22:57
Not taking the CAR into the exam is all well and fine until you get a question on "dropping articles" which is only in the CAR.

b_sta
4th Oct 2009, 00:45
Not taking the CAR into the exam is all well and fine until you get a question on "dropping articles" which is only in the CAR.

Haha, I got this exact question too. You will need CAR, AIP etc in the exam, but probably will only refer to them a few times - might be the difference between a pass and a fail though!

Bounceferret
5th Oct 2009, 11:55
"the dropping site shall be of such dimensions that there is no risk of the articles or substances falling outside the site"

haha I remember that!

I also had the same question

Delta Oscar Charlie
6th Oct 2009, 00:01
Thats the answer I gave for that exact dropping question and it came up in my kdr's? No idea how I got it wrong? I got a few questions wrong that I rushed and I wouldn't normally get wrong and some that my interpretation was different from casa's interpretation.. I'll be far more careful in my CPL exams as a result

tmpffisch
6th Oct 2009, 00:23
Thats the answer I put on my PPL exam too and it was wrong - thus the good reason to take the CAR along because the obvious/logical answer is incorrect!

No need to stress over it though, chance that your ATO will ask you bout it? Probably low.