PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan

jumpseater
7th Oct 2001, 20:54
According to the news the first strikes are under way.

Good luck to all the allies involved return safe!
JS

nosefirsteverytime
7th Oct 2001, 21:01
*Looks at watch*
Took yer time, but if that stops civvies getting killed, then good job!

Give 'em hell boys!

From near 75% of Irish people (at least 75% of who I talked to!)

[ 07 October 2001: Message edited by: nosefirsteverytime ]

Vortex what...ouch!
7th Oct 2001, 21:14
Good luck and fly safe.

Brian Dixon
7th Oct 2001, 22:02
Good luck.
Everyone here is proud of everyone there.

Fly safe

Fox-1
7th Oct 2001, 22:06
Good luck to all involved.

As I sit here watching Sky 'News' I find it increasingly amusing to hear so-salled defence correspondents totally out of their depth and spouting $hite. Apparently the SAS are using 'laser powered machines' and 'putting them close to targets' so that 'missiles' will hit them. If the military put up a credible defence spokesperson for the so-called news stations to use it would do the PR battle a world of good. I don't think they should give any secrets away, but just clafify the points.

Let's hope it's swift and effective and we don't end up with another No Fly Zone.

Rude C'man
7th Oct 2001, 22:27
To all of the units involved:
Good Luck, be safe and return home soon.

Nil nos tremefacit
7th Oct 2001, 22:35
Best of luck to all concerned. Hope the technological advantage is working in everyone's favour.

Interesting though that, as the heavily armed bombers with ECCM etc go in, Bush is talking of hearts and minds type supply drops to the long suffering people of Afghanistan. Someone somewhere is presumably going to take C-130s etc and start dropping much needed rice/grain etc in potentially hostile territory. I think that will take 'big balls' in the type of terrain where the supplies are most needed. A few nutters with small arms could really bu**er up the DZs.

I just hope that the Taliban implodes and the locals save our boys the trouble of doing the really dirty work.

Flatus Veteranus
7th Oct 2001, 23:15
Good luck and God Speed to all our lads and lasses taking part. Our thoughts are very much with you.

Man-on-the-fence
8th Oct 2001, 00:53
To all involved, good luck, fly safe.

My thoughts are with you

Bellerophon
8th Oct 2001, 01:41
Good Luck to all the units involved, and God Speed for a safe return home.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"

But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;

heavybuffet
8th Oct 2001, 02:54
I hope all aircraft return safely. Strength for the days ahead. Good luck!

Wee Weasley Welshman
8th Oct 2001, 04:22
"I counted them all out; and I counted them all in". Hope so this time.

Good hunting,

AllTrimDoubt
8th Oct 2001, 04:40
Good luck, fly safe and go get'em

Samuel
8th Oct 2001, 08:41
I'm loathe to say "good luck" to those young fellas, because I sincerely hope they don't need any.I know they'll do well.

sabre
8th Oct 2001, 08:51
Good luck and safe home from all sorties.I hope it will finish up well. :D All

Robert Cooper
8th Oct 2001, 10:31
Do the job and come home safe. Good luck to you all.

Low and Slow
8th Oct 2001, 11:31
Good Luck boys.

Fox 1. The guy on Sky talking about laser "powered machines" was the Washington correspondent, not the defense guy. Yes it made me cringe. JDAM is obviously unknown to him :)

pana
8th Oct 2001, 19:06
I wish you successful work, and no widows or orphans. Manage as you are supposed to manage.

BeauMan
8th Oct 2001, 22:33
Read a news report that 37000 food parcels were dropped to the Afhan population last night. Presumably this was while offensive ops were in full swing, and presumably (as someone else mentioned) were dropped from C130s. It's one thing to go into a firefight fast, armed and able to defend yourself, but quite another to do what these guys are doing. My thoughts are with ALL allied servicemen and women tonight, but especially those who go in unarmed. May they all come home safely.

swashplate
9th Oct 2001, 00:15
1. Hope they all come back safe.

2. Dunno what 'JDAM' means - don't tell me. Methinks all that stuff about 'SAS' using 'laser machines' is just disinformation n'est pas..??

3. Hope all this actually achieves something instead off just pissing people off and creating new recruits.... :eek:

Having watched Mr John Simpson's reports of Afghanistan last night on UK BBC TV, it doesn't seem that there are any targets in that sorry land worth hitting.....

......however, see point (2) above....

<starts digging slit trench...dons bowler and flack jacket....>

Jointery Boy
9th Oct 2001, 01:25
Wonder if redistributing rubble and (hopefully) removing the Taliban in Afghanistan will herald a new ear of Christian / Muslim peace....??

Anybody else think the journalist just released was just a stupid ta*t and was really lucky not to get slotted ??

Wouldnt it be really nice (yeah bit of a Christmas wish list) if our TransAltlantic Cousins decided to clamp down on their countries support for Irish terrorism ??

Man-on-the-fence
9th Oct 2001, 01:58
Theres nothing like the Government showing support for our Forces

Buff Hoon is currently being interviewed on Newsnight standing proudly in front of painting of a French Super Etendard :mad:

Like I said, Theres nothing like the Government showing support for our Forces.

Kick ass and come back safe chaps and chapesses.

Edited for operator malfunction

[ 08 October 2001: Message edited by: Man-on-the-fence ]

MarkD
9th Oct 2001, 02:11
NYT says C-17s flying v. high, not C-130.

And can we have enough already with the Irish cracks? Down here these days we couldn't give a sh!t if Shrub levelled Norn Iron...

Rusty Cessna
9th Oct 2001, 03:24
Would just like to echo the above of be lucky do the job and come home safe.

RE: Reporter, personally if you enter a country illegally without ID or anything, you're asking for trouble.

Rusty

1 2 GO
9th Oct 2001, 14:08
Good luck guys your doing a great job
Thoughts are with you and your families
Proud of you all :cool:

TangoMan
9th Oct 2001, 16:34
Good Luck to all the guys n girls out in harms way. From the start of day light raids looks like intel is that the anti Aircraft situation is minimal. Go for it do us proud and get everyone back in one piece.

TangoMan

Remember: if the enermy is in range SO ARE YOU!!!

Seven of Nine
9th Oct 2001, 19:36
Some breaking news from CNN - the Irish SAS have just carried out their first op - they stormed Battersea Dogs Home and executed all the Afghans.

britannia66
9th Oct 2001, 19:55
Very good luck to all concerned from all your colleagues in the airline world.

jamesed
9th Oct 2001, 20:58
The very best of luck to everyone, P.S. hope gerri and steps keep your......morale up or whatever!!! :) :)

Dr Schlong
9th Oct 2001, 21:26
Breaking news from the BBC: the Irish SAS, in only their 2nd Op, have cornered the renegade Saudi terrorist. They have tracked him down to Debenhams and are staking out the Bed Linen department... :D :D :D

fobotcso
10th Oct 2001, 00:00
Thank God for British humour in adversity!

Keep it up; we're going to need a lot more of it before we're done.

PS. No significance, I hope, in the "Irish" jokes. Could be Canadian jokes about the Newfies or Belgian jokes about the Walloons or...

Small Cheese
10th Oct 2001, 01:48
...and in their third op they covertly switched on hundreds of TVs to defeat the evil Tellyban.

DP Harvey
10th Oct 2001, 02:21
I heard that they had got to within a few yds of the Taliban HQ and were hurling 2 buckets of sand and 1 of cement over the heavily guarded perimeter fence in an attempted mortar attack.....

Kiting for Boys
10th Oct 2001, 03:37
"PS. No significance, I hope, in the "Irish" jokes. Could be Canadian jokes about the Newfies or Belgian jokes about the Walloons or..."

'Irish' VCs - 189 awards
'Newfies' VCs - 1 award
'Belgian' VCs - 1 award
'or' VCs - no other non-English nation with more http://www.chapter-one.com/vc/nat.asp

See earlier remarks from Cork

MajorMadMax
10th Oct 2001, 05:35
Loads o' fun!!
http://www.fieler.com/terror/ :p

BEagle
10th Oct 2001, 10:24
That's much more fun than CCS annual weapon training!

Al Titude
10th Oct 2001, 18:37
MadMax
Now that is a quality website!!!

Helmut Visorcover
11th Oct 2001, 05:33
Top banana site, 64,000 points (the memsahb got 66,000 points though!)

New training vid if you ask me. Wibble. :eek:

1.3VStall
11th Oct 2001, 16:34
Man-on-the-fence,

I would have replied sooner to your post ref Buff sooner, but I've been away on a trip.

I, too, noticed him pontificating in front of the Super Etendard - perhaps someone told him that it was on an exchnage visit to one of our carriers! What an utter twonk he is.

To all the guys out in the Gulf - do what you have to, remember God's on your side and come back safe.

Stop press, I've just heard the IRA has hijacked one of the Goodyear airships. So far it's bounced 16 times off the Post Office Tower in London!

Biggles Flies Undone
11th Oct 2001, 16:54
Top website! Any advance on 50,500?

Man-on-the-fence
11th Oct 2001, 19:29
1.3VStall

It shouldnt really matter what picture he stands in front of,I am more interested in what he says not where he stands (and it was a good picture from what I could see) but with Buff its just another gaff to add to a growing list.

And to add insult to injury it was a French aircraft :rolleyes:

Mike Cusack
11th Oct 2001, 21:23
The year is 2025
A father and his little boy are walking through Manhattan.
The father points out a site and says " Son, that's where the World
Trade Center used to be".
The little boy asks " Daddy what's the World Trade Center?"
The father says" They were the two largest office towers in the world
until they were destroyed in 2001 when the Arabs flew some airliners
into them".
The little boy thinks for a minute and says " Daddy......what's an Arab?"

Set Power
12th Oct 2001, 22:30
Latest News Flash :...... Irish SAS Storm London Zoo in another undercover Op. They are attempting to release the ostriches.... :rolleyes:

StopStart
12th Oct 2001, 23:19
We like that :D 76,000

BossEyed
12th Oct 2001, 23:22
News Flash Update:

They've shot all the terrapins.

Now they're hunting down the gorillas.
:D

SuperSpanner
13th Oct 2001, 04:52
What does Osama bin Laden and General Custer have in common?

They both want to know where those Tomahawks are coming from! :eek:

only1leftmate!
15th Oct 2001, 02:15
LATEST NEWS

Irish SAS storm local council rubbish dump on apparent sighting of old smelly bin liner.

Vortex what...ouch!
16th Oct 2001, 16:16
NEWSFLASH
Police have just revealed that an Afghani has been found dead in Michael Barrymore's swimming pool.......................

Police believe it could be a suicide bummer! :)

Tir renrie
16th Oct 2001, 19:22
BREAKING NEWS from CNN.com
Latest news reports advise that a cell of 4 terrorists has been operating in Merseyside, Liverpool. Police advised earlier today that 3 of the 4 have been detained.
The Merseyside Regional Police Commissioner stated that the terrorists Bin Sleepin, Bin Drinkin and Bin Fightin have been arrested on immigration issues.
The Police advise further that they can find no one fitting the description of the fourth cell member, Bin Workin, in the area. Police are confident that anyone who looks like Workin will be very easy to spot in the community.
:eek:

Jointery Boy
19th Oct 2001, 21:44
Jointery Boy in a daring raid at Taliban TV HQ gets inside their OODA loop and steals tomorrows TV listing...

6.00 G-Had TV.Morning prayers.

8.30 Talitubbies. Talitubbies say "Ah-ah". Dipsy and Tinky-Winky repair a Stinger missile launcher.

9.00 Shouts of Praise. More prayers

11.00 Jihad's Army. The Kandahar-on-Sea battalion repulse another attack by evil, imperialist, Zionist backed infidels.

12.00 Ready, Steady, Jihad! Celebrities make lethal devices out of everyday objects.

12.30 Panoramadan. The programme reports on America’s attempts to take over the world.

13.30 Xena: Modestly dressed Housewife. Xena stays at home and does some cooking.

14.00 Only Fools and Camels. Dhal-Boy offloads some Chinese rocket launchers to Hamas.

14.30 Green Peter. The total of Kalashnikovs bought by the milk bottle top appeal is revealed.

15.00 Madrasah Challenge. Two more Islamic colleges meet. Bambah Kaskhain asks the questions.'Starter for ten, no praying.'

15.30 I Love 629. A look back at the events of the year, including the Prophet's entry into Mecca, and the destruction of pagan idols.

16.00 Question Time. Members of the public face questions from political and religious leaders.

17.00 Koranation Street.Deirdre faces execution by stoning for adultery.

17.30 Middle-East Enders.The entire cast is jailed for unislamic behaviour.

18.00 Holiday.The team go on pilgrimage to Mecca. Again.

18.30 Top of the Prophets.Will the Koran be No.1 for the 63,728th week running?

19.00 Who wants to be a Mujahadin? Mahmoud Tarran asks the questions. Will contestants phone a mullah, go 'inshallah', or ask the Islamic council?

20.00 FILM: Shariah's Angels.The three burkha-clad sleuths go undercover to expose an evil scheme to educate women

21.30 Big Brother. Who will be taken out of the house and executed this week?

22.30 Shahs in their Eyes.More hopefuls imitate famous destroyers of the infidel.

23.30 They think it's Allah over.Quiz culminating in the 'don't feel it the Mullah' round.

0.00 When Imams attack. Amusing footage shot secretly in mosques. The filmers were also secretly shot.

12.30 a.m. The West Bank Show. Arts programme looking at anti-Israel graffiti art in the occupied territories.

1.30 Bhuffi the Infidel Slayer.

2.00 A book at bedtime. The Koran. Again.

2.30 Station mysteriously goes off air..

:cool:

RATBOY
19th Oct 2001, 23:28
Jointery Boy: Think you forgot "Hamas' Heroes" Hamas and the boys fool the stupid Israeli prison camp commander again and send the agent they have been hiding back to Saudi.

Sorry it isn't near as good as your's but imitation is the sincerest form etc etc etc.

Good luck to all, kick some bad guys, safely and accurately like the real professionals you are.

edited to stay an thread

[ 22 October 2001: Message edited by: RATBOY ]

MajorMadMax
20th Oct 2001, 07:00
More fun (but less carnage than bin Laden Liquors!)
http://www.madblast.com/oska/humor_bin.swf

Cheers! M2 :p

cerberus_the_dog
20th Oct 2001, 08:51
Just got in from work...early am (blah- not looking for sympathy) but the so called "EXPERTS" on the news have really (finally) started to p~ss me off!
Thoughts for these experts:
1. If you got rid of that swanky saville Row suit and popped on some Flying Overalls or Cmbat Soldier 95 and did our job would you be happy to hypotheise if it was your a@se in theatre?
2. Have you ever been closer to the forces than Staff College demo days?
If not, then for Pete's sake shut up! Have the press/experts forgotten that it was them that informed the Argentinians that 2 Para were about to attack Goose Green or that the reason that Skyhawk bombs didn't go bang when they hit our ships was because the fusing was wrong for a low level attack? If you are too young to remember, then I'm sorry, but this is what the press did.
With 24 Hour news these days, there is plenty of time for any number of "experts" to give away at least some of the plans/tactics that we have. I'll bet the Taliban watch this Satellte TV with interest.

HEY PRESS! By all means comment on past events, but please stop second guessing... You will only put coalition service people at risk (not yourselves of course?!!).

BEagle
20th Oct 2001, 11:02
Agree with you mate! Some idiot on CNN was describing how anthrax spores "...had been milled to ****, the optimum size for ingestion". Why not just "anthrax spores had been discovered which had clearly been prepared in a way calculated to be effectively ingested"? AR$E!!

I remember the fool who talked about Argentinian UXBs; at least on board Uncle Spam's war canoes the 'pool reporters' hav seemingly been kept in check.

Jackonicko
20th Oct 2001, 14:38
Generalisations seldom do much good to anyone, beyond spoiling relations between groups of people who could otherwise be useful to each other.

Yes there are stupid, insensitive, careless and unthinking oafs in my profession (and a few in yours, too!) and they should be reined in, but can we please try and avoid the temptation to treat all journos and commentators as though they were a heterogeneous group?

Some of us have feelings, you know. Not me, but some of us.

Incidentally, those journos who've been reporting from Pakistan have probably been in more immediate danger in the last week than most of those posting here. The food and water out there......

cerberus_the_dog
20th Oct 2001, 20:27
Jacko...
Agreed, my beef was with the speculation merchants and I didn't mean tar all journalists with the same brush. Reporters in theatre are doing a sterling job and their contribution to the overall balanced picture is essential. The public has a right to know what's happening...it just worries me that if you watch discussions by "experts" on the news for long enough, lots of pieces of the jigsaw can start to fall into place.
Regards to all real, hard working journalists!

Kiting for Boys
21st Oct 2001, 01:41
Folks,
Follow M2's splendid suggestion
http://www.madblast.com/oska/humor_bin.swf

(turn up the sound)