PDA

View Full Version : Atpl Airlaw

aircabbie
22nd Sep 2009, 05:06
Anyone sit ATPL Air law recently? Any Curvy questions you may have come across? Appreciate any advice or anything you can remember. Have studied Higgins noted although all seems pretty repetitive.

Thanks
Cabbie:ok:

tmpffisch
22nd Sep 2009, 05:14
AFT practice exams cover it well. Make sure you know RPT AOC requirements, route currency, ETDO etc, defect reporting, MR's, ground ops (fuel, engine start/running, radar op), requirements for briefings etc.
Go over your IREX currency notes too.

AFT is probably repetitive for a reason.....:ok:

aircabbie
22nd Sep 2009, 05:17
Thanks tmpffisch.:ok:

Lasiorhinus
22nd Sep 2009, 11:04
How much did you spend to get your licence??

Give Nathan his $40.

tmpffisch
22nd Sep 2009, 11:05
Nathan does good work and it's worth the money. He's helped a LOT of pilots go through their ATPL's and piracy is wrong.

Have a search here on PPRUNE, I know there have been a few posts with suggestions on what to tag.

Here is one I had bookmarked.

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/319465-aip-jepps-references.html

That should solve your problems, but honestly, purchase some AFT Cyberexam practice exams, it's worth it.

Capt Fathom
22nd Sep 2009, 16:02
Does anyone actually study for exams these days, or do they just study exams?

TinKicker
22nd Sep 2009, 21:52
Capt,

your comment may have some merit.

Applicants for Instructor ratings have to hold a CPL (and one would assume they have been through PPL as well).

According to the findings of this report CASA Flight Training and Testing Implementation Review (http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/aoc/training/ftto/downloads/ftto_pir.pdf), the second finding is alarming and fits in with your comment that people only study exams. Having to recognise an answer, vs, having to explain the theory behind the answer are two different levels of understanding.

From my days (a long time ago....) the amount of theory that you acutally had to explain to an examiner to get your rating quickly sorted out people.

Tinkicker

negative LAHSO
23rd Sep 2009, 04:24
Aircabbie you should get a few questions on operation of ground radar and distance requirements for refuelling ops, my exam was full of them! So tab and highlight the hell out of your CAO'S etc. Also as previously said it's worth going over some IREX revision as there are a few IFR questions that will pop-up. Good luck:ok:

aircabbie
23rd Sep 2009, 12:24
Hi guys ,

I'm pretty sure and my CARs concur however Higgins Trial exam tells me otherwise.

Minumium distance from which an aeroplane can make a straight in approach is 500m from threshold at both controlled and non controlled aerodromes .(opposed to the perimeter).

Can anyone help me out here. I have always assumed threshold but now im doubting myself !!

Lasiorhinus
23rd Sep 2009, 12:30
Sometime between 2005 and 2008, the rules changed. They used to say, 500 metres from the aerodrome perimeter fence, and now they say 500 metres from the threshold.

In a rare fit of wisdom, they realised that its rather hard to see the perimeter fence from a long way away, but very easy to see the threshold, so they changed the rules.

aircabbie
23rd Sep 2009, 12:35
Oh I see thanks mate I have always taught students threshold .The book i have of Nathan is 2003 version , trial exam got today and CARs well they could do with a dust off !! Was not sure what to believe. Exam tommorow so I really can afford to second guess myself !

training wheels
23rd Sep 2009, 13:38
Exam tommorow so I really can afford to second guess myself !

Shouldn't really have to guess .. it's open book, so just look it up in the relevant documentation. Some good advice I got from pprune, was to look the reference up anyway, even if you think you know the answer. I've found CASA ATPL exams can sometimes be a test of your reading comprehension skills as well as the aeronautical knowledge they're examining, more so with Air Law.