PDA

View Full Version : ah, yet another glorious hold.

sharp'n'pointy
6th Oct 2001, 20:50
Having already spent 6 months holding prior to EFT. I can barely contain my excitement at the prospect of having another hold. Ill find out in three weeks how long this one will be. Word on the street is its up to nine months. Anyone know any different? Is Oz still an option? I hope so.

The length of these holds does not compare to some in the past. Any nightmare stories?

Green Bottle
7th Oct 2001, 01:41
I was lucky and only spent a total of about 24 months holding but many of my era spent between 3 and 5 years in the hold. My advice to you is make the most of your time holding by getting on as many courses/Expeditions etc as possible. You are in a unique position where you are being paid large sums of cash with no real job to do. The courses you can get under your belt now can stand you in good stead in the future, when your primary job commitments don't allow you the time to do them.

I know you are probably desperate to get onto the front-line and operational but you likely have little choice about the hold so make the most of it. Many out us out in the Air Force have been where you are now so understand where your'e coming from.

It is worth it in the end.

sharp'n'pointy
7th Oct 2001, 02:12
Your right GB. Had a bit of a whinge on the go earlier. Spent my last hold mincing around london. did loads of other stuff. In fact if i had got more hands on flying it would have a near perfect job. Just dont like being bounced aroungd the training system. :D

[ 06 October 2001: Message edited by: sharp'n'pointy ]

heavybuffet
8th Oct 2001, 03:04
I take it from the screen name you're waiting for BFJT. The problem is from AFT at valley. Linton can keep up, but there is no point if valley can't accept. Oz was a one off, too expensive. Hang in there. Make the most of your hold. Worth it in the long run.

x-drive clutch
8th Oct 2001, 12:53
Held for nearly 3 years in the mid 90's. Phone up your poster and get a hold in Gibraltar or Cyprus and take a six month paid holiday!

Forget a holding job with flying, you'll be doing that for the rest of your career!

All the frontline fast jet bomber Sqn's are too busy to fly holding officers. You could try the Harrier OCU or the Ton instead!