PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Jobs Anywhere?!

CFI MATT
21st Sep 2009, 18:15
I have a FAA CPL (multi engine rating also a fresh CFI) and 300 hrs total. Is there any place in the world I could possibly look for a JOB at? I am a Serbian citizen btw, graduated high school in USA, and also done my professional pilot course in Florida, USA. I appreciate any suggestion or advice.

THANX!

Matt

lpokijuhyt
21st Sep 2009, 18:41
My advice is to look for another career. There is nobody in the world that will hire you with your licenses and qualifications. I'm not trying to be a dick, it's just the truth. You likely will not find any meaningful aviation employment for the next 4 to 5 years. Best of luck.

Phantasm
21st Sep 2009, 19:12
To the poster above,

How pathetic - either a bitter 'once was' (more than likely not), or an absolute cretin with no get up and go. Mind you, anybody who has time to post on here is spending too much time not looking for work.

CFI MATT,

Hopefully without any further interruption, I can be of some assistance! You are a qualified FI, correct? If this is true, take the following course of action - take a sectional out for your area, and mark every airfield/airport you can find within a reasonable distance, say 100-150 miles. Once you've done that, hop in your car, and visit every single one of these airfields mentioning the fact you are FI qualified, or failing that, you are looking for any work they may have on offer. You don't have to accept anything that comes up, but it allows you to gather a feel for the demand in your particular area. This is how I got my first part time job as an instructor alongside flying a Kingair C90 over to Scandinavia twice a week!

If that fails... as you've not provided too much information, I'm afraid I can't be of more assistance but another option you have is the opportunity of working abroad. Forget Australia, it's like hell's outhouse trying to obtain a working visa there for non-nationals, trust me, I've tried! Look at the Caribbean (close to you), look at South America, look at Africa. The downside to this is 99% of operators in these regions will ignore your CV, hence you must knock on their doors personally. You may be surprised, and this is how I became acquainted with my third job flying Lockheed Electras.

If that fails... slide the flying job to one side for a moment, and find yourself some work at an airfield, whether it be part-time or full-time, it doesn't matter, just so long as your face is in the scene so to speak. Do not work at a large airport as a baggage handler/check-in agent, you'll be wasting your time. The one exception to this is if you can secure a job working within operations, that's a little closer to home.

Speaking of home, it's worth mentioning that things aren't as bad as you may be led to believe researching this website over the course of an evening. My friend's lad finished with a well known integrated school in Kidlington (UK) a couple of months ago, and they recently found him an interview for a job flying Saab 2000s, another two I know of shall be starting their 737 type ratings over the coming months, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Have a look at Eagle Jet, perhaps consider Ryanair (based in Ireland), and I know that Swiss Airlines are experiencing a pilot shortage right now, but I highly doubt this is for low houred guys.

My apologies if some of these reccommendations seem a bit left of centre, but that's all I have I'm afraid!

Hope this has been helpful, and the best of luck, you've got the right attitude!

Chrisbowe82
21st Sep 2009, 19:31
Hi you might have already tried this, but if not
Pilot Jobs Postings - Pilot Career Centre (http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/JobsByRegion.aspx)
Good luck.

One thousand
21st Sep 2009, 19:33
Speaking of home, it's worth mentioning that things aren't as bad as you may be led to believe researching this website over the course of an evening. My friend's lad finished with a well known integrated school in Kidlington (UK) a couple of months ago, and they recently found him an interview for a job flying Saab 2000s, another two I know of shall be starting their 737 type ratings over the coming months, so it's not all doom and gloom.can you tell us the name of the company that are hiring with the 737? the saab it's olny an interview?

Have a look at Eagle Jet, the only thing i heard about this company is that thay put you in a holding pool after that you have pay for joc course (you are after the cadets in the queque)
perhaps consider Ryanair (based in Ireland), there are thousands of applicants with jet experience that are ready to pay again a type rating .and currently the recruitment is frozen so don't believe to Cae o Oxford if they promise you an interview after the Mcc course,

and I know that Swiss Airlines are experiencing a pilot shortage right now, but I highly doubt this is for low houred guys. unfortunatly is for experienced pilots.

the only thing at the moment i think is to work as a flyng instructor

TheBeak
21st Sep 2009, 19:40
Yeah agreed One thousand, it's all pretty throw away advice. By all means don't give up, be prepared for the long haul in terms of waiting but there are nigh on no opportuities at the moment. It's an incredibly difficult time. Especially if you don't have £50K lying around like Phantasm to spend on a Type Rating and a round the world plane ticket to go and knock on all those doors in all those cities in Africa, South America, Middle East etc. Unrealistic, expensive advice that sounds like it has come from a TRTO, an FTO or someone with their head in the clouds.

One thousand
21st Sep 2009, 20:02
Unrealistic, expensive advice that sounds like it has come from a TRTO, an FTO or someone with their head in the clouds.yes looks like the advices that i had before i started my training

and a round the world plane ticket to go and knock on all those doors in all those cities in Africa, South America, Middle East etc.in the caraibbean area it's almost impssible to find a job, i tried to go personally in Africa and also there it's full of pilots that fly for free just to get in a caravan . in Africa a lot of companies ask for 1500 hours fo insurrance matters.

Now it's very hard!!

Phantasm
21st Sep 2009, 20:05
TheBeak,

I have extended you courtesy in previous threads where the nature of your posts was, at the least, questionable. This is asides from a case of mistaken identity on my part for which I apologise.

You are entitled to your opinion and of course have the right to script whatever garbage you wish over peoples' threads, but on no account shall you attempt to compromise my integrity with phrases such as -

Especially if you don't have £50K lying around like Phantasm to spend on a Type Rating

or,

Unrealistic, useless, expensive advice that sounds like ti has come from a TRTO, an FTO or someone with their head in the clouds..

16,000 hours, 7,000 of which are PIC on heavy category worldwide, to include over 2,000 hours as an instructor amongst various other jobs including A321/A330 based out of Luton/Manchester respectively in a former life.

It may rub off on the less 'astute' of us, but don't try it on me sunshine, I've been in this industry since before you were born.

You should take a leaf out of the proverbial book I've taken my own time to write above. I do believe you could do with the help, as an unemployed 737 rated pilot no?

If it's any consolation, and allows you an extra hour to sleep when you've finished skulking this website, then the following sentence should be well received. I have never paid for a TR in my life, nor have I worked for or am I affilliated in any way with Ryanair.

One thousand,

Saab 2000 job is for Eastern Airways. 737 both Ryanair - I think you'd be hard pushed to find another 737 operator (in Europe anyway) recruiting the less experienced ladies and gents in current times!

Chrisbowe82,

Have you ever used this site? Before making a formal application to my current company, I registered with PCC and had a rather bad experience with them. This is on my personal experience alone, but I would reccommend steering clear of them. Mind you, beggars can't be choosers! Do what you can to find a job, they exist.

BigNumber
21st Sep 2009, 20:27
Phantasm,

Not a fair retort to our friend TheBeak.

I have found his comments often bring some badly needed balance in the various thread debates. He and I mostly agree to disagree but I value his input.

Many of us have plenty of hours and experience but it is of no relevance in discussing the future of our profession. What were established practices historically are of little relevance in the present economic climate. Your hours and types do not 'buy' you a soap box any more than mine do. (7000 aged 39)

Truth is things are really tough for low hour FATPL's and likely to remain this way for quite a while. Many of these guy's facing the challenge of getting on the ladder are the subject matter experts on getting an Entry Level job.

Frustration makes this a rather emotive subject, be gentle.

BN

TheBeak
21st Sep 2009, 20:50
BigNumber, as always, thanks for your friendly words.

Phantasm, my posts are not of questionable intention, not ever, I can assure you. As for your mistaken identity, apology accepted. Please accept my apologies for any bad feeling and accept my opinions for how they are given - with the best of intentions.

As BN states, the current employment state is/will be and forever maybe a very different one. LoCos are in control, salaries and packages will have to be very different in the majors for them to remain competitive, TRs are happily paid for by desperate wannabes and there is an enormous surplus of pilots to jobs. All of this filters down throughout the many channels of aviation employment from air taxi to instruction to corporate.

Flying around the world and paying for Type Ratings are not options for the less financially supported of us and the less selfish of us.

A strong mind, a long view and an extreme amount of resilience are required to stay in this game and succeed.

I am interested to hear about your friends job with Eastern, he/she has been very lucky and has done well. Oxford found that for them did they? Did they have to pay for a TR?

I think you'd be hard pushed to find another 737 operator (in Europe anyway) recruiting the less experienced ladies and gents in current times!

Quite, and they only take the inexperienced not the less experienced. Which should say something about ones long term value to them.

MIKECR
21st Sep 2009, 20:59
Phantasm,

Just curious regarding your comment on Oxford finding someone a job on the saab 2000 with eastern. They made at least 5 or 6 saab FO's redundant about a month ago, as well as several J41 pilots. I cant understand why on earth they would be recruiting anyone, and particularly when they dont generally take low hours integrated pilots. Im not suggesting your info is incorrect, im just curious as to what eastern are up to. They have usually always recruited the 1000 hour FI types. Nowt stranger than the flying industry though!:confused:

BigNumber
21st Sep 2009, 21:12
Mike,

I have no knowledge of Eastern or their future plans, but also cannot find it it me to believe that they have been interviewing anyone let alone some OAA Wannabe.

I absolutely do not call our contributor a liar but believe he may have been blinded by some optimistic spin from our largest FTO.

I hope any UK Operator will be focused on recalling their furloughed crews infront of hiring any new starts. (Fairly aposite as I am in ABZ tonight!)

BN

Bealzebub
21st Sep 2009, 21:41
Phantasm,

I hope you will excuse me for daring to also impune your reputation or compromise your integrity, but on the 29th of January this year you posted (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/359921-anybody-intending-hourbuild-chandler-az.html#post4680081) that:
Phantasm

Hello chaps,

Here's a quick one then - if you don't plan on or have no involvement in hourbuilding in the States, then there is not much to be gained from reading this. On the other hand, if you are considering heading out to Chandler (or nearby, suggestions most welcome) mid-2009, then please do have a read.

What with one thing and another, I find myself in the position of requiring approximately one hundred hours of P1 time. As I shall be taking my CPL in Phoenix, and having heard 'mostly' good things, the provisional itinerary includes a month or so beforehand spent operating out of Chandler Municipal making lots of holes in the gin clear Arizona skies (and possibly beyond!).

Now, whilst I have no problems with travelling light and alone - it would be much more enjoyable should I have a companion to travel out and plan with, all the better if this person is also soon to take their CPL. As mentioned, I plan on one hundred hours over about a month, so somebody who is looking for a 'similar pace' would be a bonus!

Anybody interested please drop me a PM!

Over to you PPRuNe...

Now forgive the emphasis, but if you needed 100 hours P1 to complete your CPL 8 months ago, I am mildly curious how you are now a 747-400 skipper (according to your profile) with:
16,000 hours, 7,000 of which are PIC on heavy category worldwide, to include over 2,000 hours as an instructor amongst various other jobs including A321/A330 based out of Luton/Manchester respectively in a former life.

It may rub off on the less 'astute' of us, but don't try it on me sunshine, I've been in this industry since before you were born.

I am not a wizz at maths, but it does occur to me that since January there have only been some 5,800 hours or so in existence, so even on the assumption that you somehow flew every single one of them, night and day around the clock, you would still have some 13 months of similarly astonishing flying to go before you reached your declared levels of experience?

As you now have some of these nice people apologizing for their supposed audacity, it does seem to me that (and I hope you will excuse the plagarism,) this may rub off on the less astute of us, but don't try it on me sunshine.

Then I notice the following day 30th January 2009, you wrote:
I'm just about to take my first phase of exams with Oxford - I am a modular student, 20 years old (do keep reading, I'm not a sheep I assure you!), having chosen to train with them as I live close geographically and have always been familiar with their course. I am a basic PPL holder with 120 hours, no mod cons on my licence as of yet, however I am as yet undecided as to whether I shall train for my night qualification in the UK or AZ. That is among the questions I shall be asking the FTO out there. I have 50 hours P1 time, hence my requirement for 100 hours to bring me into the 'training envelope' for the CPL. I'm going to put my training on standby after the CPL, as I have a few options here in the UK involving VFR commercial ops. Like many I aspire to the RHS, but I fell in love with aviation through GA, and therefore, coupled with the world's money going tits up, I feel I'd being doing myself an injustice if I didn't give as much back as I can. And hey, it's great flying

To which I would add, I really have been in this industry since before you were born!

Is there some other explanation for your rather bizzare claims?
Didn't you pull a similar stunt recently in this thread? (http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/387473-1000-hrs-i-fancy-change.html?nojs=1#goto_threadtools)

Readers would be wise to read the big red warning at the bottom of this page!

Flintstone
22nd Sep 2009, 00:44
Just when I thought there'd be nothing worth reading on here I stumble over this. Phantasm aka Reluctant737 sprung.................again.

Phantasm/Reluctant, it's really time that you moved on. Your tall stories have been exposed so many times I'm frankly amazed that you've the audacity to show your virtual face on here. You've been caught out in your 747 skipper fantasy and you will recall our little chat earlier this year when it came to light that you had never been a C172 (that morphed into a Caravan) bush pilot in Africa and neither had you crashed, breaking your back, only to limp heroically from the jungle. As I said to you then, bigging yourself up to prop up your own flagging esteem is one thing but when you start offering career breaking advice to others on the basis of your lies it ceases being fun.

I'm happy to be one of your tormentors because frankly you ask for it but for crying out loud leave the wannabees alone. They're having a hard enough time as it is without your self-serving bull****.

Oh, and in case you revert to your usual stunt of deleting your posts (as shown by Bealzebub) I'm saving your last one here:

TheBeak,

I have extended you courtesy in previous threads where the nature of your posts was, at the least, questionable. This is asides from a case of mistaken identity on my part for which I apologise.

You are entitled to your opinion and of course have the right to script whatever garbage you wish over peoples' threads, but on no account shall you attempt to compromise my integrity with phrases such as -

Quote:
Especially if you don't have £50K lying around like Phantasm to spend on a Type Rating

or,

Quote:
Unrealistic, useless, expensive advice that sounds like ti has come from a TRTO, an FTO or someone with their head in the clouds.

You should take a leaf out of the proverbial book I've taken my own time to write above. I do believe you could do with the help, as an unemployed 737 rated pilot no?

If it's any consolation, and allows you an extra hour to sleep when you've finished skulking this website, then the following sentence should be well received. I have never paid for a TR in my life, nor have I worked for or am I affilliated in any way with Ryanair.

One thousand,

Saab 2000 job is for Eastern Airways. 737 both Ryanair - I think you'd be hard pushed to find another 737 operator (in Europe anyway) recruiting the less experienced ladies and gents in current times!

Chrisbowe82,

Have you ever used this site? Before making a formal application to my current company, I registered with PCC and had a rather bad experience with them. This is on my personal experience alone, but I would reccommend steering clear of them. Mind you, beggars can't be choosers! Do what you can to find a job, they exist.

jamestkirk
22nd Sep 2009, 06:43
You are either having a laugh which, is ok. And been rumbled. Or, you are completely nuts!!

And Eastern have not interviewed anyone on the Saab for quite some time.

ford cortina
22nd Sep 2009, 06:49
Where did I leave my popcorn:eek:

lpokijuhyt
22nd Sep 2009, 07:37
Phantasm: I take offense to you calling my advice pathetic. My advice is sound and rooted in the realistic/current climate. I think there are others who wish somebody gave them the same advice prior to dropping a fortune on training. Would it be so bad to do something else that makes money until hiring starts again? Pumping gas at the local airport doesn't pay the bills, my friend. The guy is better off doing something that supports himself instead of hoping to make a contact at some obscure airport in Florida. He is living in the US and has a US license. He needs 1200 tt and 200 ME just to get a Part 135 job over there. If he moves back to Serbia he needs to get the JAA license or whatever they use in Serbia. Again.....lots of money. Remember, he is in Florida where being a pilot is like being a taxi driver in London. There are many of them. In Florida, 1 in 10 people there has a pilot license. It's no big deal.
My advice is a lot more realistic. The lad asked a straight-forward question. He deserves a straight-forward answer. Your TRTO-esque demeanor makes me laugh. I'm not the bad guy. I'm keeping it real. The guy can fly, but it is going to take a few years for jobs to materialize. Go do something that makes money and then get start looking again in a few years. As for flying to Africa and knocking on doors....you need to put the crack pipe down my friend.

TheBeak
22nd Sep 2009, 07:48
lpokijuhyt I think we have established that his/her advice is of questionable intention. I can't believe someone would pretend to be something they are not and then have the audacity to start calling people on their advice and taking the high horse. Especially after the arguing I had to put up with from Phantasm on the Ryanair thread.

......Having just read your other absurd posts Phantasm and compared your start from your beginning, I have to say, you are crazy - what on Earth are you thinking? You had better go and get a knob implant or something and stop offering dangerous advice to desperate people.

respectively in a former life.

Though, perhaps 'the most experienced 20 year old' believes in reincarnation. Are you a buddhist Pantspasm?

CFI MATT
22nd Sep 2009, 13:09
I kind of expected those answers and mixed feelings... Thanks everybody! After I'm done with my Optional Practical training and some multi- engine hours I shall find the way to stay in the States, working and staying current. Lets see what happens... I have a few friends in South America, working for the airlines so I'll try to figure out what am I supposed to do and get a citizenship from one of those countries. I guess we are all breathing through a straw right now...

THANKS AGAIN! Instead of crying here any further, or arguing, I'm just going to get up and fly. Wish all of you pilots the best of luck! :ok:

jamestkirk
22nd Sep 2009, 22:39
Phantasms intent may be to be totally fictional and to get everyone wound up. If thats the case then he/she may have been successful. In that case he/she has won.

Phantasm. Please come back and tell us who you really are. I will not retort in anger but am genuinely interested in your motivations.

The Beer Hunter
23rd Sep 2009, 00:36
Having seen both Phantasm and Reluctant exposed on here several times he's not bright enough to be a troll. Pretty sure he's the sad wacker he appears to be.

ben767
23rd Sep 2009, 05:13
I totaly agree with what you said and adv. the guy.
That is the truth and truth always not sits well with people.
Next 4 to 5 years, no way any move in aviation and not even then for a guy with 300 hours. Give me a brk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tell him if he want the flying job very bad, get up and go to Alaska!!!! Yes Alaska,....After all Alaska has more A/C then any other part of the world.
That is waht I did some 20 years ago.
If you can get out alive and get some exp. etc,........
Ha:ugh:

BigNumber
23rd Sep 2009, 08:08
Thank you Ben for your most erudite post!

Phantasm; if this is true, shame on you.

F117A
23rd Sep 2009, 09:25
Hi I have had a frozen JAA ATPL(A) for quite some months now with no sign of any jobs anywere. I currently work within the airline industry as a flight dispatcher and load controller so I have quite a few contacts but still the economic situation is so bad that till now I could not manage any prospects. I will fly anything anywere as long as I build up some experience. Thanks

Halfwayback
23rd Sep 2009, 17:27
Phantasm (aka Reluctant 737) speaks the truth!

nor have I worked for or am I affilliated in any way with Ryanair.

Nor is he likely to be!

HWB

FrankAbagnale
23rd Sep 2009, 18:26
I think he has seen CATCH ME IF YOU CAN with Leonardo Di Caprio, a bit too many times :}

Where you going tonight Frank :cool:

Kirks gusset
24th Sep 2009, 09:27
Matt, for what it's worth, I beleive your chances would be much improved if you had JAA ratings, may be worth looking into the cost of converting, it would certainly at least widen the scope of your search. It used to be that Biz Jet ops favoured FAA, and to an extent, they can do, however, not with your level of experience. If you want to work in Europe, go JAA. Best of luck.