PDA

View Full Version : AAC Association

Leroy Brown
24th Nov 2001, 19:15
I left the AAC about a year ago. Throughout my time in the glorious Corps I paid my dues to the afore mentioned Accociation, albeat under veiled threats. I did recieve a journal most years, but that was all. I remember being refused entry to the AACA tent one Wallop air show because it had been sub-let (or something). The point of this rambling is to let people know that once you are no longer wearing the coveted light blue lid you no longer exist. I have had nothing from them, no letter telling me who the local rep is, would I like to continue paying into the Association, nothing. I was under the impression that one of the aims of the association is to keep in touch with its members, and to be of assistance if required. I was clearly wrong. I would like to be corrected though.

mkeane
24th Nov 2001, 21:24
I left the Corps 14 years ago. I can't remember how but I later joined the Association some years after that - it must have been some kind of mailshot. I now pay my subs through Direct Debit and receive the annual journal and quarterly newsletters. The only drawback is that more and more of the people I knew are featuring in the Obituaries!!! Ring RHQ at MW and they'll put you in contact - good luck. ;)

blind pue
25th Nov 2001, 05:23
I also left last year, as I live in Andover was able to go to Wallop and speak to those in DAAC.
They were unaware that I had left (no one missed me).
I then left my forwarding address and joined by DD. I have received the occaisional letter not sure about the Journal as I am out of the country.
any problems try aaca.org.uk I think you can join on line

X-QUORK
26th Nov 2001, 12:11
Leroy,

I left a few years ago and like you I didn't receive anything from the AACA asking me if I'd like to continue my membership.

As mentioned above, it's easy to renew your membership either online or by contacting the Association Secretary at Wallop.

I visited the AACA tent at the IAS last year and had a great time, well worth your tenner a year to meet old mates and see the massed crash.

It would be nice if local branches were more active, but it seems some members are a tad apathetic when it comes to attending meetings and social functions. Nice to see the journal every year though.

Regards,

X-Quork

Leroy Brown
27th Nov 2001, 01:11
Thanks guys, I'll go on a spelling course first and then try the AACA.

Governormalfunction
27th Nov 2001, 01:15
Good effort Leroy, it's a shame some of the clowns in the big tent don't look listen and learn from things that are said both here and elsewhere.They really have lost the plot.Catch up with you tomorrow.

Cooinda
28th Nov 2001, 16:46
The AACA tent is not to be missed. A great laugh especially if one organises a reunion of old beer drinking mates.

A winge..FDor years I had the old size journal on my bookcase. Now we have the A4 size thing which manages to clutter up my log basket.

Downsizing is the key! :cool:

barneyrubble
29th Nov 2001, 02:08
Guys, did the corps look after you while you were in, i think not, so why do you think they would look after/care about you once you left. :confused:

Ambler
3rd Dec 2001, 23:41
It's sad - we really have missed a trick. I used to assist with the East Anglia Branch and I did try to keep up with all those that were leaving but not everyobe wanted to be contacted - they felt that they had to make a clean break. A lot of things fell between the cracks when old Tim Morely (lovely bloke) died. I hope someone at M/W reads these posts and actions it. I also believe that there is a friends contact list that is run by someone at M/W - if I get the details I will post them. :mad: :D :eek:

Finals4TheOutsideWorld
5th Dec 2001, 23:19
I left in May this year and was surprised when the AACA letter arrived on my doormat. Not as surprised as they were when I completed it along with the DD mandate. When I was in I was a member under sufferance but as membership is cheap and affords the chance to keep in touch with old friends. I agree with the line about wishing the area associations were a little more proactive. Maybe they ought to remove local CO's from the chairmanship.