PDA

View Full Version : Breach Of Contract For Rotary??

Tigs
24th Nov 2001, 16:10
I heard recently that the annual prize that the RAF award for the 'busiest operational unit' was awarded to a fast jet station, when in fact it should have been awarded to Odiham(i have no loyalty either way,I know everyone is busy), however it was not awarded to Odiham because that station and it's resources are now considered to belong to JHC.

Does this mean that Odiham and it's resources no longer belong to the RAF?

Does this mean JHC is a different service?

If it does mean the above then there may be some tricky points of law that the RAF will have to get past.

For instance, an abinitio pilot going through flying training would need major ammendments to their contract of employment if they were streamed rotary, as they would be effectively being removed from the service they joined up with. For everyone else out there who no longer 'belongs to the RAF', an employee can claim 'constructive dismissal', if their employer changes the terms of the contract which they first signed up to, if the Employee believes that the terms are for the worse, i.e "I wanted to join the RAF and now you are moving me (often permenantly)to JHC" (this is very different to an exchange).

Any legal beavers got any ideas?

:rolleyes:

[ 24 November 2001: Message edited by: Tigs ]

kbf1
24th Nov 2001, 17:39
I believe in terms of employment law you remain employed (if that is the correct term) by your parent service but are placed in the the JHC command structure which is tri-service. The same would apply if you were to be sent to another service for training (e.g. RN Harrier boys doing fast-jet training at Valley) or seconded/attached off to NATO HQ, or an exchange with another country.

As for Odiham not being considered an RAF station, I would assume that if it has "RAF" in the name of the station, it is cnosidered and RAF asset.

Tigs
24th Nov 2001, 17:51
kbf1
thanks for the reply. I guess my point is that although the unit is 'RAF' Odiham, it was deemed appropriate by the powers that be that it was not an RAF unit when it came to awarding the RAF's 'busiest unit'award. How far do they take that line of thinking?