PDA

View Full Version : VC10 Fuel Dump Outlet

GERBY
20th Sep 2009, 09:35
Does any one know if the rubber pipe attached to the wing fuel dump outlet pipe on the VC10, was a modification.

Jhieminga
21st Sep 2009, 18:58
Do you mean the 4 or 6 inches or so of pipe that stick out from the flap track fairing? It is visible on quite a few photos of the prototype on this page: Early days (http://www.vc10.net/Photos/early_days.html)
From that I'd say it was modified early in the development (the fairings look different on the roll-out photos), probably as part of the drag reduction program or because the fuel spray pattern wasn't satisfactory.

That's my two cents from looking at a few photos, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come up with the true answer.

ICT_SLB
22nd Sep 2009, 02:52
I seem to remember that some 1-11s were fitted with the same fuel dump fitting as the VC10 and the ones I saw were all metal and appeared to be a casting. So perhaps the rubber mod was only on the prototype? Would have thought that rubber would not have been a first choice because of possible build-up of static charge.

dixi188
22nd Sep 2009, 13:40
On the Airbus A300-B4 the end of the fuel jettison pipe is rubber. It is called "Anti Corona", and is there to ensure no static discharge when dumping fuel.

I suspect the VC-10 pipe is a mod.

I remember the 1-11 fuel jettison pipe on the -400 srs. and it was metal.

We had an ex Philipines Airlines one back at Hurn about 1972, and when we tested the system not much fuel came out on the starboard side. On investigation, a dead green snake was found inside the pipe on top of the wing!!
Also this A/C had many cockroaches and other nasties within. Even after fumigation some things were still alive.

Fun times.