PDA

View Full Version : Viva Macau

Iron Will
20th Sep 2009, 08:20
Anyone have any info on how Viva is doing? Heard they were having difficulty paying for fuel and salaries, so don't want to waste my time applying if they are the next financial crisis statistic.

geh065
20th Sep 2009, 15:03
Heard they are just about to take delivery of another 767. I assume it is an addition and not a replacement of one of their current pair?

AGNES
20th Sep 2009, 16:18
I don't know the financial situation of VIVA, but the 3rd B767 had already arrived at Macau and the frequency to Narita had increased from 2 to 4 a week.

Sushi Muncher
24th Sep 2009, 09:33
It is a mystery how Viva is still around. Must be a lot of money being laundered through this outfit. Yes they do have a third aircraft, a tired old 300ER, however it will allow them to reduce their demand on an even older tired 200ER.
This is a bottom feeder outfit, just like Orient Thai. There is a nasty little group of low time inexperienced, nieve pilots running the show from the aformentioned outfit, led by an inept, non qualified DFO and equally inept CEO. In the real world they would have folded a year ago.
Next step is a bottom feeding Hajj contract out of a Stan country.
Bad payers, bad safety culture, shouldn'd be in the business

Left Coaster
24th Sep 2009, 15:19
Wow...turned down or fired?:{

Sushi Muncher
24th Sep 2009, 23:37
Neither, just telling it as it is.

Left Coaster
25th Sep 2009, 00:45
Hmmmphh...coulda fooled me...well, thanks for the info, although if you did tell us where you got it, you may gain some sort of credibility...

Sushi Muncher
25th Sep 2009, 03:17
Well now, you almost composed an entire sentence in English. You will be ready to teach some of the other Americans there how to read and write, although I forgot, they are especially expert at writing false hours in log books aren't they
You Coolaid kids are too busy teaching ETOPS, having never operated ETOPS before.
Never let a good opportunity stand in the way of lack of ability or experience is the Viva moto along with a race to the bottom. The inmates are in charge of the insane asylem over there, led by Captain ADD.

Left Coaster
25th Sep 2009, 04:02
Oh niiiice...makes me think that maybe you have an issue you're not eager for anyone here to know about...and as you say, I might be able to teach someone a thing or two....most assuredly Mr Angry Poster...but why show you the truth when it's so much fun watching you thrash about and miss by a country mile!

Sushi Muncher
25th Sep 2009, 06:58
Must be a nice secure feeling being an IRS refuge knowing you have enemies out here that kmow who you are and where they can find you all

hongkongfooey
25th Sep 2009, 07:10
Doncha just love PPRUNE ? as soon as you expose an operator ( and I know jack 5hit about Viva, tho I tend to believe sushi, knowing how this part of the world works ) as being crap, it's instantly assumed you were knocked back or fired from said operator.
Well, NEWS FLASH, we are not all low experience drivers desperate for any sort of jet job at any cost, nor refugees from certain parts of the world that are considered aviation no-hopers :eek:
Please, do continue................

Sushi Muncher
25th Sep 2009, 08:35
hongkongfooey, you are right on the money. Viva is a despot operation from top to bottom, trying to cut every corner, from maintenance,training, commercial, finance and safety. Being chased for unpaid bills from Redfern to Kunming. The band of ex Orient Thai, low time brothers who wouldn't be able to get a real job in a reputable airline and who are TAX refugees have always tried to shoot down anyone who remotely voiced any criticism about Viva Macau, even when it was obvious to all and sundry that Viva was just one big Lie.
Anyone looking at this outfit as a possible career opportunity should realise that since it's inception it has had 3 CEO's. They are curently looking for number 4, however no one will touch it.
It is on it's third DFO. The present one is a Singaporean. Has no commercial aviation experience, was a chair puller/pusher senior Singapore Airforce Officer, always been a yes man, always will be a yes man, as are all the management pilots.
Has not expanded their route structure significantly for 3 years, and are now looking at Hajj work to survive.
Viva will probably survive on the black money from Beijing, the hole must be so deep now that they dare not shut it down.
It will always be looking at the short cut around everything. Will always push their credit limit out to as far as they can. Did that to BP in Sydney, now BP worldwide won't touch them, and are on cash for fuel elswhere. Nothing will change. The coolaid kids will always put on their rose coloured glasses and try to shoot down any disenters. These are the facts. Be very careful about this outfit

Wannabe Flyer
25th Sep 2009, 10:51
Sushi

You seem to know a lot of inside info. Not to repeat but

although if you did tell us where you got it, you may gain some sort of credibility...

:ugh:

Sushi Muncher
25th Sep 2009, 12:15
Where do you think I got my information from? From within Viva Macau obviously!
If you care to varify what I have said, do some googling.
Try asking some people who have had dealings with them like " Sydney Airport Authority", "Menzies (Sydney)", Menzies (Macau)", "British Petrolium", "Alteon", "Vibe Hotels (Australia)", "Department of Transport and Regional Services(Australia)", "Civil Aviation Safety Authority (Australia)", "Queensland and Northern Territory Air Services (Qantas Airways Australia)", "Ansett Worldwide Aviation Services", "HAECO", "GEMECO", Asiana, and see what they think of their business practices. You don't have to take my word for it, there are plenty out there who will give you the same, true overview of this outfit. Don't touch them with a barge pole.Good riddens:

Sushi Muncher
26th Sep 2009, 05:06
What a shame, the coolaid kids must have decided to stop responding and let this thread die.
Fortunately it was alive long enough to show outsiders that there is some deep routed problems in Viva Macau. As I said they will probably battle through from the financial side due to the money they launder to prop up the operation, however a severe incident or accident, which in my humble opinion is probable, ( the swiss cheese holes line up far too often) will bring the skeletons out of the closet, especially if it occurs somewhere like Australia, or KSA.
A wise old experienced captain spoke some words of wisdom once that I think is very relevant to those youngsters running Viva Macau. "Be careful how you treat people you meet on your way up in aviation, because you will probably meet them on your way back down again, and they will have long memories". Especially relevant if you want to continue flying in Asia.

asiagirl
27th Sep 2009, 11:51
Gee Sushi,

I am sad to hear they have a bad safety culture. What do you mean. I don't understand the Orient thai reference. Are the Management Thai Pilots.

I was thinking about taking a LOA from United

Cheers

Sushi Muncher
27th Sep 2009, 15:24
No,they are not Thai,they are North Americans.

Seriously Asiagirl, if you are really thinking about taking a leave of absence from United to fly for Viva Macau, given the current global economic situation and the tenuous position of Viva Macau, you would be running a real risk of finding yourself unemployed unless you had a couple of other options up your sleeve as a back up plan.

At least at the moment you have stable employment at United. Something to consider in the big picture.

celco
28th Sep 2009, 10:06
arrrr man! Where did everyone go?? This was just getting interesting. Come on "DING DING" round farkin two!!

asiagirl
29th Sep 2009, 06:43
Sushi Muncher, I don't think you are aware of the situation at United Airlines.

We are going the same place as Pan Am. Furloughs, fleet reduction, and many routes now flown by regional jets.

The company is on a constant slide downhill. May be I should look at India, or Japan. Most of my time is on Airbus, and B737.

As to Viva, I have friends who were former Viva pilots from two years ago, and they spoke quite fondly of the company, except they flew way too many hours. I guess there were not enough pilots.

I hear they hire mostly Canadians, and Australians, with a sprinkling of Europeans. Is that true? Do I need to convert my ATP to Chinese equivalent?

Do they hire women?

Thanks for your response

asiagirl
29th Sep 2009, 06:47
Sushi, what do you mean by" IRS refugee"

Are you saying they are breaking the law at VIVA. I would not want to work at an airline that was a target of the IRS!
Cheers

asiagirl
29th Sep 2009, 06:56
Sushi,

may ask you about the bad safely culture at Viva. Is it simulator, line flying, maintenance?

You are really turning me off this outfit. I thought it would be cool to work for a small airline over the next 3- 5 years.
:confused:

ROO-C26B
29th Sep 2009, 11:06
Hi All, I've applied to Viva a number of times but no reply. Do any one knows whether they are still hiring at this stage?

Sushi Muncher
29th Sep 2009, 21:24
They have an Chinese mentality towards safety and compliance. Their attitude is to see if there is a way around or a bandaid application that can be applied as safety to them means money. This is particularly prevelent in their maintenance department.
I don't think they require pilots right now, as far as I know they have about 50 pilots for 3 aircraft and one of those is down for heavy maintenance.
As I said before Asiagirl, you may take 3 or 4 years leave of absence to fly for a small airline like Viva Macau. Then find Viva folds six months after you start there and find you have 2 or 3 years of unemployment. Yes they are that shakey. It is a different world outside of United

kaibogo
30th Sep 2009, 08:12
G Hayes is that you?

ReverseFlight
2nd Oct 2009, 11:41
Viva Macau budget airline looks to fly into Melbourne (http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/another-budget-airline-looks-to-fly-into-melbourne-20091002-gg1u.html)
The airline recently took delivery of a new Boeing 767 aircraft, and has been in discussions with both the Victorian Government and Melbourne Airport about whether Melbourne will become its second Australian destination.
Wish it success, for the airline's sake.

Sushi Muncher
2nd Oct 2009, 18:09
If They combine MEL with SYD it would certainly improve their load factors and help their bottom line.

Arrowhead
8th Oct 2009, 10:12
IMHO Viva does an okay job of a very difficult situation. Nearly all the pilots that I know there (or that were there) were VERY experienced, and NONE complained to me about safety. Its a very dumb pilot who gets going in an aeroplane that he doesnt consdier safe.

Most of the mgmt snakes are now gone, sadly together with some good guys too.

I doubt the Macao govt will let it fail.

Yes, they are old planes with grim interiors and service, and many flights get cancelled leaving people stranded. It is a "low cost" long-haul airline. But all the people who I know are still there do the best with the little they have. And that even includes the interim-CEO/shareholder, who is way better than anything that has gone before.

Sushi Muncher
15th Oct 2009, 04:28
Mostly an acurate accessement. Sadly still a couple of snakes remain in management. The money hole is very deep. At this stage their only option is to try and trade their way out. I also believe the shareholders support this strategy for the time being provided the losses can be controlled.
Unfortunately Macau isn't an overly user friendly environment for an independant operater, just look at James Packer's present predicament with his investments there. There are a lot of underlying politics in play, especially from big brother just over the border.

jackstraw
1st Nov 2009, 01:10
"G Hayes is that you?".... That would be my guess. Whoever it is certainly has a big chip on his shoulder.

Sushi Muncher
4th Nov 2009, 04:08
Aircraft grounded in jakarta this past week due to non payment of fuel bill and crew not paid on time sure looks as though Viva are trading insolvent. A $300,000 bill from Airservices Australia might break the back of this camel. For those glass half full coolaid kids reality is a hard comedown.

slaterhater
6th Nov 2009, 05:00
Hey Sushi, you call just like it is. I feel your demons. Captain ADS did the same to me. Quite Ironic... I'm here in Jeddah, and you too are in KSA. Man I feel your pain. Love this 400 eh?

Slater Gater

Sushi Muncher
7th Nov 2009, 04:50
Way off the mark dear chap. You will have to look deeper in your own back yard to find me. This industry is too small to be fooled by the likes of Viva Macau.

jackstraw
8th Nov 2009, 03:22
Way off the mark dear chap. You will have to look deeper in your own back yard to find me. This industry is too small to be fooled by the likes of Viva Macau.

Huh?...translation please.

Dan Winterland
28th Mar 2010, 11:36
Seems like Viva are cancelling flights due to cash flow problems and not being able to pay for fuel.

Iron Will
28th Mar 2010, 11:39
I hear it may be all over ...except turning off the lights!

geh065
28th Mar 2010, 12:21
The Macau CAD have pulled the operating licence for VIVA, so looks like things are done. The Macau government has refused to offer any more bailout money and are now taking Viva to court for the retrieval of millions loaned to them.

Surprised they even lasted this long to be honest...

Iron Will
28th Mar 2010, 12:23
Limited Liability company they may not get much.

BBQ12345
28th Mar 2010, 15:28
sushi was right after all. Those who almost boarded this sinking boat owe sushi a big thank.

naginata
28th Mar 2010, 16:03
Well done, sushi muncher! :ok: :D Now, need some advice here ......... what 'bout BA and their current problems ???? Any advice wrt seeking employment with that outfit, my good man ?

Marant
29th Mar 2010, 21:29
I took this photo of one Senior Management as I left, just wanted to share my memories...:ok::D
Asshole image by Sauls74 on Photobucket (http://media.photobucket.com/image/asshole/Sauls74/Asshole.jpg?o=19)

TWT
30th Mar 2010, 03:21
Airline falls from the sky (http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/airline-falls-from-the-sky-20100330-ra3i.html)

Cool banana
1st Apr 2010, 06:09
It look like the game is well and truly over now, from the AACM website,

AACM has started the de-registration of VIVA Macau's aircraft

Following the request made by the leasing company to the Civil Aviation Authority (AACM) to de-register the aircraft of VIVA Macau, AACM has started the de-registration process after having examined the legal documents according to the respective procedures. AACM will try to cope with the request of the leasing company to expedite the work. AACM reiterates that VIVA Macau does not have conditions to provide air services now.
AACM received a notification on 29 March from the Macao legal representative of the leasing company of VIVA Macau which stated that due to the non-compliance with the provisions of the leasing contract by VIVA Macau, the leasing company has already terminated the contract with VIVA Macau and requested AACM to de-register the aircraft. In accordance with the contract, the leasing company has the full power to take such action.

The SAR Government has always been providing assistance to the operation of the local airlines. The SAR Government is therefore disappointed at the fact and regrets to see that VIVA Macau cannot overcome its operational problems after the continuous support and aid rendered to them. In addition, the SAR Government emphasizes that the termination of the sub-concession contract and the revocation of the Air Operator Certificate comply with laws.

Traffic
1st Apr 2010, 11:21
Perfect opportunity for CX to buy the AOC and put the 5 X 777-200's into all Economy config ad create a proper low cost model.

naginata
2nd Apr 2010, 10:22
But then again, **traffic**, wouldn't it be a bit of a prob for CX if they do that cos it might be a 'conflict of interest' due to the fact that they may already be flying pax to places like CGK, MEL, SYD etc formerly serviced by Viva? Not that l know much about things like this :}

Air Profit
5th Apr 2010, 17:48
New investors getting involved this week, look for a relaunch later in the month....!

popeye49
5th Apr 2010, 23:23
With What aircraft, the current B767's have returned to the USA.

crwjerk
6th Apr 2010, 08:26
Yes, we need more Low Cost Carriers to pop up to keep Pilot wages down. It was bound to happen, sooner or later, as it will with the others who can't afford to operate.

kaibogo
6th Apr 2010, 13:32
it would be very hard to do a re-launch coz it will involve a lot of money. and of course we have to start from the beginning. for those who were critical of viva, now is the time to rejoice and shout out that "you were right all along". but for us who were affected, well that's life.our misfortune is the triumph for some who were waiting for the company's demise. Cheers to viva employees. we worked hard until the very end. :D