PDA

View Full Version : LINKUP for the chop?

Q Banate
4th Oct 2001, 02:24
Heard a rumour from two PMA sources over the past few days that the 'powers that be' are considering binning linkup. Anyone else heard anything similar? Word on the street is that, if eligible, you should register NOW. Short-sighted move, if it's true. :eek:

Jim Haskins
4th Oct 2001, 11:01
I've just filled out a civilian based questionare reference LINKUP that came from Innsworth. (Anyone else recently?) Pages of Blah on how good you think the Air Force was in thinking up such a scheme. For once we have something being given back to those who serve; why does it not surprise, or even shock me any more to hear your rumour. Lets hope it is just that, otherwise it may just tip a few more worthy guys/gals over the edge to where the grass is greener.

Long live the noble ones.........

Tonkenna
4th Oct 2001, 11:12
I have just filled in the same survey and am signed up for link-up. I seriously hope that they do not get rid off it. Just because the airline industry is in free fall in the short term there will always be a need for pilots in civvy street. In a couple or three years time I can see things being a lot better and the airline will need pilots again. If they stop all their own training cause its expensive they will look elsewhere ie the military.

With any luck the RAF will not just look in the short term and bin anything that helps retention. Don't forget that things like the retention bonus scheme and link-up also help morale, and that could be vital over the next few years.

Tonks

(Now I realy must go to work)

Grey Area
5th Oct 2001, 20:06
Tonkenna said: With any luck the RAF will not just look in the short term ....

Pray tell, when did luck get Staff Officers promoted?

Jim Haskins
5th Oct 2001, 22:54
The airlines are in panic and it's bad news for those recently'de-bagged' pilots who did have jobs in the civy airline industry. (All the best guys, good luck!!) With some of those pilots looking to come back, will the Air Force in its wisdom have more of a misunderstood perception that they came save a few coffers and cancel LINK - UP? If they do, we will be back to square one and 4-6 years down the line the short term savings will be irrelavent and more long term problems will have raised their heads. I thought we were meant to learn from historical errors of judgement!!

If you are reading this 'oh noble ones' then make the right decision for the long term not just the one that will see your tour/term out!!

SinkingMallard
6th Oct 2001, 21:00
LPOD - In 4-6 Years those who might make this decision to bin Link-Up will have moved jobs at least twice and won't have to take the blame for their short-sightedness.

Stan Bydike
6th Oct 2001, 22:45
The point made by Tonkenna above is the one that worries me.

Will the powers that be say that there is no longer a Pilot shortage and consequently bin the Aircrew retention package. We need to hang on to every AEOp we can at the moment!!

Guess we will have to wait to Feb next year to find out.

Stan