PDA

View Full Version : Lost Potential

KarlH
27th Oct 2001, 22:28
It has always been my ambition to join the RAF as a pilot and I was ecstatic when, after applying straight after finishing school, to be offered a commission as GD/pilot with a start date on the IOT of last May. Unfortunately the medics found an anomaly in my blood test during the part two medical which showed an imbalance of my thyroid hormones. They said it could be due to a virus, I did have the flu at the time of the test, so took another sample only 3 weeks later which they sent off to the consultant who made a decision based solely on the blood test, no consultation with myself, and decreed it could be hypothyroidism. The medics classified me temporary unfit for 6 months and I was rejected from training, this was 3 weeks before commencement of IOT. I was gutted but determined to prove them wrong I consulted an endocrinologist and within 3 months my hormone balance was normal. I contacted the medical board at Cranwell and they accepted my doctors findings. As it was now more than 12 months since I went through OASC I had to go through the full selection again, which although I felt unfair, I accepted as the policy, and completed it earlier this month, putting in the effort not just treating it as a formality,. I have just had the letter saying I have not been selected and try again next year.
I was obviously a suitable candidate with the potential to make pilot in May, have I changed so much in a few months? Has a misdiagnosis by the RAF doctor lost me the chance to fulfil my ambition? I’m really disillusioned with the RAF now and going to look elsewhere for a career.

Big Green Arrow
28th Oct 2001, 00:54
Sorry KarlH, but it's purely a numbers game. Although you made the grade last year, they may have recruited enough pilots to fill this year's training slots. Hence the "Thanx but no Thanx". Take solace from the fact they didn't give you the don't darken our door letter, and have asked you to apply again.

DON'T be downhearted, you've obviously got what it takes, now go and do something fun and (legal?) for a few months and have another go next year. Maybe think of doing something to make the Interview Board sit up and think (positively!) about; get involved witha RAF Auxiliary Unit/ATC Gliding School/Travel (there's bags of free seats at the mo!) ;)

HalesAndPace
28th Oct 2001, 01:21
KarlH, as BGA says, you haven't been told to b@gger off - the numbers game is particularly galling! Despite the disappointment, stick to your guns & give it another go. That said, keep your options open for any other aviation career.

DP Harvey
28th Oct 2001, 02:01
Should you continue to apply, you will eventually get in. Of that there is no doubt.

However, the manner in which the RAF is handling your situation beggars belief. A misdiagnosis by a RAF employed doctor, followed by a "Close, but no cigar," letter is typical of the man (mis)management we suffer today. I mention this because you need to be aware that, whilst the flying and operational stuff in the RAF is 2nd to none, the admin and personnel policies are 2nd to all.....

Sugar_Junkie
28th Oct 2001, 11:52
KarlH,
Sorry about your predicament, as DPHarvey points out, there appears to be too much red tape being thrown around the place.

As a RAF Wannabe....I would be grateful if anyone in the know could enlighten me as to the optimum time to apply, with regards to the numbers required, as obviously if I should apply at the end of the 'selection year' when they have their 240 pilot places filled, and I get a 'come back in 12 months', then I would be in the same situation, as there would be no places :(

Thanks

SJ

moggie
28th Oct 2001, 21:56
KarlH - you can't always trust to logic in these cases I'm afraid.

My brother applied for the RAF via Sixth form scholarship, passed the aptitude tests but lost out on sheer weight of numbers. However, OASC gave him a letter confirming a pass in all the aptitude tests which also said "you will not need to re-take these if you re-apply".

Two years later and back for direct entry selection they made him re-sit the same tests "still, no jeopardy" he thought. Somehow he managed to fail the Navigator aptitude (I don't know how - he spelt his name correctly and got the date right) and they said "end of selection, b*gger off". As you can imagine, he was straight in there with the letter - "no, that does not count any more" they said. "Why not?", he asked. "Because" was all the answer he got.

He rang me (VC10 pilot at Brize at the time) and I told he who to speak to and what to say. This got him all the way to the top man, the Air Commodore, who said - "stupid isn't it but we've changed the rules". End of story.

He went to college and while there applied to BA who took him through selection about 3 months after the RAF rejected him. BA chose not to put him through the aptitude tests because "you passed them all once and who cares about the Nav aptitude tests anyway".

The upshot is that they sponsored him, he got a licence and now flies 777 for them - he got the best end of the deal to be honest.

Another story confirms a school mate of mine who flew on the UAS and was discovered by the RAF to have "chronic asthma" some time later. he now has an unrestricted civilian licence and also flies long haul for BA.

I would suggest you re-apply to the RAF but also chase any airline sponsorship which may come up in the meantime. Although the RAF said they you may re-apply - in your case I would not trust the guys at OASC if they told me that turds were brown, smelly and pointed at the end (I would ask for independent verification!).

Good luck - but they are very funny about medical stuff and are just as likely to drag it out again as a reason for rejection.

[ 28 October 2001: Message edited by: moggie ]

[ 28 October 2001: Message edited by: moggie ]

HalesAndPace
29th Oct 2001, 00:09
Sugar Junkie, how long is a piece of string?? The numbers requirement should be evenly spread over the Financial Year, coupled with the ability of the training system to cope with those numbers. So, bearing in mind that you are selected for training as an officer first, followed by specific professional training (i.e. pilot), you may have a better chance towards the end of the recruitment year, namely to try and time OASC attendance so that you are in competition with those likely to get a lesser OASC grading (RAF second choice of job, failed "A" Levels first time, etc). However, the best advice is to apply as soon as you are ready!! If at first you don't succeed, keep trying!!! :)

Armadillo
29th Oct 2001, 00:24
KarlH
They're all right. Keep trying feller. Awesome fun, great people and a few ales too. Don't give up on the admin a***holes. I've just had a Comp A back from the desert and was stunned. The efficiency of the Admin wallers was enough to eat through my 16 years of stoic cynicism. Don't lose heart...yet.

Rusty Cessna
29th Oct 2001, 00:48
Can someone explain this, apply at end of year and you might be up against lower grading scoreres phylosophy please.

Im not complaining, jsut dont fully understand it, sorry to hi jack thread!

Rusty.

HalesAndPace
29th Oct 2001, 01:27
Rusty Cessna, basing comments on the fact that you will always get "prime" candidates apply to OASC as soon as they have the acedemic qualifications. It normally follows that these are also the people who have always been strongly motivated to join the RAF. Consequently, these guys and girls have the highest percentage pass mark going through Cranwell officer training. Conversely, at the "end" of the selection year, the quality/motivation of candidates is lower (OASC Board Grades measurably less), so, not surprisingly, lower first time pass mark at DIOT.

Sugar_Junkie
29th Oct 2001, 01:46
HalesAndPace, thanks for you post....you say the end of the selection year....I take it this would be early June/July then...as A levels/Univerversity courses end around then?

SJ

HalesAndPace
29th Oct 2001, 02:10
Sugar Junkie, not really, as that would be the time for the "prime" candidates to apply! Generally (and assuming FY planning = selection planning), the weaker people attend OASC towards the end of the year, i.e after resits or failure to get employed in their first choice.

Sugar_Junkie
29th Oct 2001, 02:15
HalesAndPace
I was thinking more about a month or so before the A Level etc results come out...so that the supply of 'good' candidates has been used up....??

SJ

HalesAndPace
29th Oct 2001, 12:10
Sugar Junkie, difficult to say. I would apply right now if you have the relevant qualifications. E-mail me if you want more details.

Fluffster
29th Oct 2001, 18:52
Mate, it seems that everyone gets stitched by OASC at some point, some more than others. You must be gutted that they've done this to you but don't lose heart. Try and try again, if they want you (and as the other guys have said, if they haven't sent you the 'no way' letter then they probably do) they'll have you eventually.

I don't know how old you are, but if you feel you're running out of time before the entry age don't forget that the RN recruits up to the age of 26 not 23 like the RAF.

It's hard on you, I've known some absolute numpties get in and other good guys not. The numbers game is random and seems to change daily! Just don't give up...

By the way, my mate says 192 Course was a good'un, but I'm sure yours will be better once you get there!

Rusty Cessna
29th Oct 2001, 19:30
Sorry to Hi jack again, but If I was to apply now lets say, having done AS levels, and resiting one paper, I would be in the "probably low pass group", but if I waited for my full A level grades, in August, or when I was doing my exams, in June, July I would be in the "high probably pass group"?

So assuming this has been my chosen career path from the onset, that I am on track to get good grades, I stand more of a chance of getting a higher pass than the rest of my board by applying now? Odd phylosophy! :)

Al Titude
29th Oct 2001, 20:35
KH

Bad luck mate, but don't give up! I didn't get in on my first application either. If you keep the faith as it were, and re-apply next year having broadened your CV this year, they will be impressed by your committment. Make sure you are fully up to speed on all the mental arithmetic stuff for the aptitudes and you will stand a good chance, especially as you've already been accepted once!
Don't believe the bullsh@t the recruiters give you about being a fighter controller or whatever, the RAF is short of pilots and needs them desperately so stick to your guns.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and trust me that if you make it in, it is awesome fun!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Edited for crop spooling!

[ 29 October 2001: Message edited by: Al Titude ]

TimC
29th Oct 2001, 21:19
KH

B0ll0cks isn't it? I find it very odd that they want you to re-do OASC. I don't know how much it costs to put each person through selection, but as you've passed once, maybe they could save some money by letting you in now? Keep at it mate, but don't put all you eggs in one basket.

I got the "Don't darken our door.." letter after going through OASC for nav/aeop. Don't know why I wasn't asked to go back though, as the report on me wasn't that bad :D.

Can I still reapply? Or would I need to write to ask permission from the OC OASC first? :)

KarlH
29th Oct 2001, 23:16
Well, it's nice to see all the replies saying that I should apply again but to be honest I think if the RAF wanted me they've had the opportunity, it's time to move on. If when it comes to this time next year and I'm still not starting a career then perhaps I'll consider applying again.

Any suggestions on an alternative career?

TimC
29th Oct 2001, 23:50
Have you considered the Royal Navy?

gaycowboy
30th Oct 2001, 15:25
Karl matey, once again bad luck with the elephant's graveyard - the undoing of many a would-be military aviator. a few words of encouragement: the thing to remember is that you're applying to be part of a club (for want of a better word) and the board will always have the final word. after being on a UAS i've known many good odds-on candidates in similar positions to you. been there and been bitter about the whole thing myself (it wears off), however, it's make or break time. if you were/are seriously considering the RAF as a career you will go back - if not...join RN and feel a man or mr eddington et al might accept your application, although, with the current climate i also know some chaps just chopped from that programme aswell. think slow. as the OASC sage said to me "if you keep knocking someone will open the door" - best of luck to you.

heavybuffet
5th Nov 2001, 01:18
KarlH, an alternative to GD(P) in the RAF? Nothing in the same league. Don't let them get you down. You obviously have what it takes so don't give up. OASC have a tough job but I can't help but think they're particularly short sighted at times. Try and look at this as the first of many difficult hurdles that makes the end result so much more rewarding! Don't move on to live and regret it .... well that's my 2p worth.

Nozzles
10th Nov 2001, 02:07
FLY NAVY :cool: