PDA

View Full Version : Onur Air - man june ?

dicksorchard
19th Sep 2009, 17:07
Any one know of an incident involving an Onur Air aircraft flying into Manchester june this year ?

Just met up with an old friend who was onboard above Onur Air flight and she said that the aircraft aborted landing and did a go around and when it did land it landed very heavy and was all over the runway ? she said that women & children on board where hysterical and that gown men where shaking in there boots ?
her exact words where" i didnt think we would make it home alive "

she is not prone to over exagerration nor is she a fantatist ....she told me that the during the flight ...there seemed to be a number of occaisions where the engines increased in power then the aircraft appeared to drop ...initially pax thought this was due to turbulence but the seatbelt signs never went on at all ?

she was so concerned by the poor state of the saircraft , lack of english spoken by the crew and the landing incident she wanted to report it but did'nt know who too ? any ideas ?

Bealzebub
19th Sep 2009, 17:31
Any one know of an incident involving an Onur Air aircraft flying into Manchester june this year ?

Just met up with an old friend who was onboard above Onur Air flight and she said that the aircraft aborted landing and did a go around and when it did land it landed very heavy and was all over the runway ? she said that women & children on board where hysterical and that gown men where shaking in there boots ?
her exact words where" i didnt think we would make it home alive "

she is not prone to over exagerration nor is she a fantatist ....she told me that the during the flight ...there seemed to be a number of occaisions where the engines increased in power then the aircraft appeared to drop ...initially pax thought this was due to turbulence but the seatbelt signs never went on at all ?

she was so concerned by the poor state of the saircraft , lack of english spoken by the crew and the landing incident she wanted to report it but did'nt know who too ? any ideas ?
No, but I admire your creative use of such poor English to underscore the point. It must have been an extremely traumatic event to have caused her to suffer in silence for the last 3 months or more.

These days people rush to the newspapers with their cellphone photography, and tales of terror, if even so much as their bread roll is stale. It is difficult to imagine that anybody would have a hard time reporting their concerns, even if they didn't have any idea who might be the relevant authority?

Notwithstanding this supposed 3 month old event not being mentioned prior to your reunion with your friend, were there not scores of other similiarly concerned passengers with a tale to tell?

dicksorchard
19th Sep 2009, 18:13
Bealzebub (http://www.pprune.org/members/10042-bealzebub)

How apalling & Pompous is your attitude ( not nearly as bad as my poor english ) .

Although my friend described this as a terrifying ordeal & she now has genuine safety concerns about travelling with this airline again - neither you or i have any real knowledge about what occurred during her particular flight and that is why i was asking if anyone on the forum knew anything about the incident ?

And i can assure you that she wont have suffered in silence ..i have no doubt that she has re -lived her ordeal to any one that would listen !

One persons terror after all is anothers joyride !

However unlike my friend ( who has no knowledge of the aviation industry apart from going on her regular 2 week jollys ) i have the forthsight to double check which actual airline i will be flying with !

I value my own safety and that of my family members which is why i am a member of Pprune .

And if you are a proffesional pilot then you should be well aware that Onur Air which is a relativly young airline has had a number of safety / maintenance issues and more than 7 serious incidents involving their aicraft .

I personally would never have flown with them in the first place .!

So Old Chap instead of launching into a tirade about stale bread rolls and the use of cellphone photography why could'nt you have passed on some friendly advice even if it is 3 months after the event ?

I think that maybe just maybe your a little grumpy today and im just getting a little bit of jetblast blowing in my direction !

Bealzebub
19th Sep 2009, 18:29
Well pompous it may be, but I think you mean appalling?

In any event, perhaps she should have sent a strongly worded letter of complaint to the airline. Failing that she could try the Daily Mail, although I think three month old events (that don't involve Princess Diana,) would be a stretch too far even for them.

I have had a look through the more popular passenger websites for Onur air flights into Manchester for June, and cannot find any complaining about flights all over the runway (they are supposed to cover a significant portion of it in the ordinary course of events,) or "gown men shaking in there boots." There was just the usual smattering of comments about seats not reclining, delays and multiple requests for another coke, etc. Anyway good luck with the quest.

smala01
20th Sep 2009, 01:32
dicksorchard - be grateful you got off that lightly. I have seen greater mauling for less.

If it really was a safety incident then there would be a report filed with the CAA. It wasn`t a safety incident so there was not.

Go around's and "bumpy" landing are normal in the aviation industry.

A life and death experience to "once a year European charter type" would be a fun landing to an experienced business traveller.

As the forum frequenters are usually in the latter then you will understand there is little patience for emotional sensationalism.

Final 3 Greens
20th Sep 2009, 05:10
Dicksorchard

Don't know about the landings, but the engine tone could be the autothrust system in operation.

On the A320 series, this seems to be quite active at times and if you are not used to it, can be surprising. It's quite normal.

If the aircraft was encountering turbulence, then the autothrust could have been dealing with that (maintaining a target speed) and the aircraft 'dropping' been a symptom of the turb.

I'm not in anyway being derogatory to your friend, sounds as if she was unlucky enough to take a rough flight.

Also, if she didn't like the state of the aircraft, she was probably a bit on edge anyway and noticing things she would not have worried about otherwise.

BTW, I am a frequent pax, but Beazelbub is a very experienced airline captain. He has given you a fair, but tough, response based on his research of the facts.

I have tried to take into account human factors in mine and soften the message, but essentially do agree with his conclusion.

PS: as an afterthought, during every year, I encounter a number of landings 'all over the runway', especially after the crew has landed on one wheel only!!!!

If I hadn't learned to fly, I might be concerned, but as a 'wing down' landing technique involves landing on the upwind wheel (into the strong cross wind that requires this technique), it doesn't worry me.

The 'all over the runway' feeling is the pilot handling applying liberal doses of rudder to maintain the runway centreline until the airspeed is low enough for the nosewheel to control the ground path.

In an ideal world, it would be lovely if the crew could brief the passengers about this (although some may be frightened), but in the rushed world of flying (lots of checklists and radio calls, as well as flying the aircraft in a busy environment), it usually can't done.

Rusland 17
20th Sep 2009, 05:42
Just met up with an old friend who was onboard above Onur Air flight and she said that the aircraft aborted landing and did a go around and when it did land it landed very heavy and was all over the runway...Go-arounds and heavy landings often go hand-in-hand, because the initial aborted landing is often due to gusty conditions on the ground that will still exist when the second attempt at landing is made. Aborted landings can be a bit scary for passengers who have never experienced one before but, as smala01 says, they are quite normal - I now experience an average of one every 4-6 weeks when arriving at London City airport. The captain does not have time to explain to the passengers why he is suddenly climbing steeply again, which heightens their anxiety, but will probably do so while coming around to try again.

Even as a frequent flyer who is familiar with aborted landings, I don't like them very much and they make me apprehensive. But only because I know that the final approach and touchdown is likely to be a bit bumpy.