PDA

View Full Version : Save Our Squadrons Campaign (RNZAF)

cribble
3rd Oct 2001, 08:04
Any serving or ex RNZAF people out there who are pizzed off with the local lunatics' decision to do away with our attack capability,don't just stand there, that man, do something about it: stand up and be counted.
A group of businessmen got together and decided that the NZ Govt decision to ground the Skyhawks and Macchis was bloody stupid.They want to raise awareness of the issue and have the Govt reconsider.
They each put in some dollars for the adverts in the papers over the weekend. The response has been overwhelming and they need secretarial support to answer emails and snailmail.
Can you help?
More info is available at www.soscampaign.co.nz (http://www.soscampaign.co.nz)
:mad: :mad:

Ex Douglas Driver
3rd Oct 2001, 09:02
Unfortunately its a little late. The RNZAF is in the gravy stroke of getting rid of the capability.

150ish maintenance redundancies are being announced on Monday, and from there they have 1 month to depart (with minimal payout).
Only 2 current A4 pilots are remaining in the RNZAF. All the rest (me included) have confirmed resignation dates, and are pleased to be able to make a fresh start overseas.

The training system on both aircrew and maint sides was stopped shortly after the decision was made, and airframes have been retired as their hours expired. The 4 frames outside the 75 Sqn hanger will be flown to Woodbourne to be inhibited next week.

So, the Labour party has made its mark. There will not be a viable Air Combat Force in NZ for many years, and I don't believe the current one can be ressurected.

(BTW good on those NZers who are behind the cause, pity it wasn't 6 months ago)

Samuel
3rd Oct 2001, 09:17
I've been writing for considerably longer than six months, to all and sundry, but that writing is now on the wall I'm afraid, as evidenced by explanations for this political stuff-up now being made by increasingly insignificant stand-ins. SOS may however cause some worry to re-election if they time their assault closer to the election next year.

The Squadrons couldn't be resurrected now even if Helen changed her mind, which she most certainly won't.

I've had numerous back seat T-bird rides (among many others) by the way DD, with people now long gone, but the first with one Fearless Fred when he was Oc Ops, (they are an old aircraft remember!).

Ex Douglas Driver
3rd Oct 2001, 10:15
Cribble, further to your "stand up and be counted" call, as serving members of the NZDF we are not allowed to comment on matters of policy.

So.. any public dispays of our displeasure are severely frowned upon. In fact a recent message sent around from the CDF threatened disciplinary action.

PPRuNe is one of the few ways to vent my anger. "...I've got nowhere else to go..."

Cougar
3rd Oct 2001, 10:37
DD,
It is a real pity to see those A4's go. I know that the RAN is bitter as they will lose alot of fleet support (a Hawk is not really the same as an A4 in radar cross section so i am told!!).

I hear you guys are coming over here to 76 Sqn to do Hawk LIF then OCU (and also some going to RAF)? Can you confirm this? Or are you going straight to 2OCU?

Ex Douglas Driver
4th Oct 2001, 03:55
The A4 is better than the Hawk for maritime attack for a number of reasons. Radar signature doesn't have anything to do woth it.
AI radar (also 2 sea-search modes), RWS, a long long time on task (3 hrs), representative weapon loads, high ground speed at low level, & crewed by kiwis!.
Basically its a fully fledged war plane (war bird?) albeit old, as opposed to a training jet.

As for transfers: 3 current A4 pilots are going direct to the F111. 2 remain in NZ on transport aircraft. The remainder are off to the RAF where we're supposed to be flying the GR7, F3, or Jaguar.
Some of us were keen to fly your F18s but couldn't satisfy citizenship requirements (it only takes 3 months!), so were offered a FIC then instructing on the PC9/CT4.

Hmmm... front line or Tamworth?? http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/M16.gif http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/flags/nz.gif