PDA

View Full Version : Calling UAS members re Private Forum

Tonkenna
3rd Oct 2001, 00:35
Hello all,

There is a good chance that there could be a UAS private forum set up as part of PPRUNE. If there is enough interest I will do the deal with Danny and his chums, however I need an idea of what people think.

Please e me if you are a UAS member and would be interested. Please also canvas mates on your Sqn. I think it would be a great way of keeping in touch with the latest news and views across the UAS world, what about you lot?

Cheers,

Tonks :)

Zagzagel
3rd Oct 2001, 04:58
Cwikey, news AND views across the UAS world....how exciting!

CYA then. :D

BEagle
3rd Oct 2001, 21:50
Tonks, mate - do sharpen up! It's Freshers' Week so most of your audience are either totally pi$$ed or trying to get into the knickers of the first year babes!

But then again, perhaps they're not alone? Eh??

Wonder whether we'll see you down here soon....

kippermate
3rd Oct 2001, 22:53
Tonks, I'll pass this on to my lot at the next training night and let you know.... in about three weeks time! :confused:

Trust Kermit
4th Oct 2001, 01:22
Tonks

After this was last suggested there was a massive crowd in favour and I too believe it is an excellent idea.

Hope it comes off. (Oooeerr! Should be careful, there may be Jag mates around!)

TK :eek:

Tonkenna
4th Oct 2001, 11:05
Cheers chaps and chapesses,

BEagle, I know what you mean, as we have been enjoying it too, though not your second sugestion of course.

I will be contacting those who have mailed me over the weekend, but I will need more support to get it going.

Back to the top.

Dean_Cross
4th Oct 2001, 13:43
Yeah, good plan, crack on :cool:

Bad company
5th Oct 2001, 10:15
Tonks, Having seen the photo at the airshow, a private forum seems like a good idea! Just a thought though, do we have to let Flipper have access?

BEagle
5th Oct 2001, 11:22
Popped into UWAS yesterday whilst waiting to get another re-assembled Vickers Funbus airborne. Glad to see that UAS 'recruiting standards' are being maintained!! Thanks for the hospitality, chaps!

But the Grob really is a piece of poo! Is it really true that, in addition to being forbidden to fly in IMC, your aerobatics are now being restricted as well?

Tonkenna
5th Oct 2001, 12:51
BEagle me old mate,

Errrrrrr.........Yes it is and yes they are, but keep it to you're self as we don't want the students to know!!!! :D

Back to the top.

Tonks

Ps Our recruiting is also going well!! :D

awayday
6th Oct 2001, 10:34
Tonks,
I am aware of the IMC restrictions. What aero restrictions have been placed in my absence? I am a little detached from the news and views at home because of my current playpit. Also I am hearing some very sensitive gossip form home, big rumours, can you shed any light. The rumours I have heard are not for the ears of this forum!! :eek:

Lucifer
6th Oct 2001, 13:58
No flicks or knife-edge.

Bad company
6th Oct 2001, 14:42
Lucifer, worse than that mate, no unapproved areos, ie none that aren't on the placard on the cockpit wall, eg Noddy stall turns , reverse stall turns etc.

BEagle
6th Oct 2001, 17:31
So what about Spinning 2 then? Or when a student porks up a 'standard' aerobatic manoeuvre....and how do you do a tail-chase nowadays??

Flick manoeuvres were banned in the Bulldog, as in every other RAF aeroplane for the last 25 years, but there again, it had a decent roll-rate, unlike the German plastic plane!

Another fine 'smart procurement' fu*k-up?

Max R8
6th Oct 2001, 21:40
Don't mention the fuel restrictions, Pike!

BEagle
6th Oct 2001, 23:20
Two Pi R - what a poof!! Tailchases only contain 'authorised aeros?' What kind of wet-pants softies are flying at UASs these days?

How to throw off the Boss Manoeuvre #1. Tart around for a few minutes doing the usual Learning Command cr@p, then call 'looping' (because he's probably an ex-C130 driver and too stupid to notice). He'll follow you uphill, then when you're on the last quarter, push a bit and accelerate. He won't notice and will get stretched, call 'rolling' and start what looks like a fairly large barrel roll; when you get to about 120 deg of bank with the nose reasonably high, apply full aileron and a fair bit of rudder in the direction of roll to the 210 deg of bank position, centralise and pull hard down towards him. He'll go whistling past still going uphill, dazed and confused. Push to +0.5G, keeping an eye over your shoulder; when you've got about 120Kts, start a hard level turn underneath him into his blind spot.

Worked every time - and the students loved it because they liked him as much as we of the junta did!!

scroggs
6th Oct 2001, 23:47
So BEagle, me old, what you got against ex-130 mates then? This one would have had you for breakfast - and that's in Albert. On the Dog you'd have been toast anywhere near FY. :D

BEagle
7th Oct 2001, 00:07
Nothing generally - just one in particular! The ex-Junta mates know who I mean!!

Reheat On
7th Oct 2001, 11:54
Beagg's - we used to refer to that as 'dog viff'ing many a moon back. You had me with my Heineken tin biplane there mapping it out again!

So no rolling circles these days then...... Heady days when you could *only* apply 8s -ve g, but you could still get oil out on occasions! Needed friendly ground crew though when it came to the 700.

It was alleged you could almost lomcovak a Bulldog, if you didn't mind running out of energy 3/4 of the way through.

Flicking was always banned. Poor incipient spin recovery technique resulting in rapid entry was not unknown ;-)

So will this closed forum be open to members of Ex-UAS associations?

Tonkenna
7th Oct 2001, 15:04
BEagle,

Great plan, but the roll rate of the Grob is so poor that you would need full aileron just to do the barrel roll!!!

Reheat On

Quite probably. :)

Max R8

Oh yeah, those as well. :(

And to all, I hope to have details soon of the forum, I will be contacting the PPRUNE management soon.

Tonks :D

Legalapproach
7th Oct 2001, 19:31
Ahhhh UWAS.... Of course flick manouvres were forbidden in the 'dog but I do recall doing simulated flicks and a simulated lomcovak. In addition anyone who flew with Big Dougal (Mr Nivea) may remember a patented aerobatic manouvre known as the Culloden (allegedly named after a great Scottish cock-up). Now, how did that go......?

Tonkenna
10th Oct 2001, 00:53
Thanks to all those who have emailed me. I will be contacting you all soon with the details, however, spread the word as I need as much support as possible.

One way that would help our cause would be for some of you (especially those with a bursary) to buy a pprune badge (they are V Nice). If you do, mention in the letter that you are helping to fund a UAS site. If you can't find the details of where to get them, e me.

FOG HORN
15th Oct 2001, 00:30
A PLACE OF OUR OWN TO GRUMBLE ABOUT THE APPALLING STATE OF THE UASs AND THE RESTRICTIONS UNNECESSARILY PLACED ON THE TUTOR CAN ONLY BE A GOOD THING.

Tonkenna
15th Oct 2001, 00:35
FOG HORN,

NICE TO SEE YOU LIVING UP TO YOUR USER NAME. You don't have to shout though.

I am sorting out the technicalites as we speak.

Felixmini
15th Oct 2001, 15:01
Ahh....UAS, or in my case..ex UBAS. in any case it all sucks. Why play the RAf for a couple of months when you can join the real thing?? So wheres UWAS then???

phd
16th Oct 2001, 18:38
Don't blame the aircraft for any shortcomings guys - The Grob does exactly what it says on the tin. Blame the clever people in MOD Procurement who did not specify clearly enough what the aircraft was required to do within the UAS environment. Reference flight in IMC it has only one attitude indicating instrument and the RAF are now going to have retro-fit an alternative attitude indicator to gain certification for IMC. The issue of aerobatics, as I understand it, is more to do with the lack of the necessary paperwork than any limitations of the airframe. Basically the aircraft can perform aerobatics and does so in Gemany where it has been tested and certified to do so. But it has not been tested, certified and placarded for aerobatics in the UK. So much for JAA/JAR's!

Felixmini
16th Oct 2001, 19:38
the aircraft's got every going for it. its a nice piece of kit. It does all the aerobatics that the bulldog could do, and maybe even better. only thing is they're civvy registered. And they look like sperm, but thats german design.
Just give it a chance..

8AEF - Doing it Doggy style for the last time. :p :p

FOG HORN
19th Oct 2001, 00:25
fishbed

What you say about the procurement of the Grob Tutor might well be true. However, before it entered service, Grob produced a very glossy brochure stating that its aircraft was fully aerobatic and IFR capable. It made no exceptions to the aircraft's capabilities. Despite the problems with its introdution, even those given the job of chosing a Bulldog replacement would have been tempted by an advert stating, 'German bag of s**t for sale. Fully 14 aerobatic manoeuvre capable and fully VFR cleared. Everything else verboten.' :rolleyes: