PDA

View Full Version : Strategic Airlines-OzJet Airlines

NewFlybie
4th Oct 2008, 01:19
Hi All

I am wondering if someone could please tell me what Strategic Aviation is like to work for (current of past employees) please

Could you please tell me a little about where they fly (website does not disclose this) and also the obvious taboo subject Salary)

Thanks

V-Australia Union
4th Oct 2008, 06:38
I often see a 340 or 330 in SYD, taking troops to and from the middle east I believe.

smartalec888
6th Oct 2008, 12:33
You work on a A330-300 leased from Air Luxor. Layovers are very long, 14days max, expect to pax ALOT and work very little. Pay not that good, there are alot better places to start in aviation industry.

NewFlybie
8th Aug 2009, 03:59
Hi all

long time since i added apost - not that i added many before. What is all the news on Strategic any one know??

Anyone whether they be current or former cabin crew with strategic like to give out some upto date information on them please???

- What they like to work for

- Current conditions

- throughs on whether you think they will last (can australia sustain
another large carrier
- Whats their recruitment process likely
- is Perth going to be their only base

- As they are going to be an Oz airline, do they have their AOC
licence

I had an interview with them many years ago it was a phone interview and was offered a position, but declined it because of the negativity behind them at the time. Would love to hear what current crew in particular think of them as well as former - great way to get a perspective :ok:

Unn
20th Aug 2009, 02:45
Its still the same if not worse, I've herd. I'd look else where unless you want to be unhappy.

flight04
4th Sep 2009, 12:20
Hey people, I have an interview with Strategic in the next month. Based in the middle east atm looking to make my way home.
Just wondering if anyone else out there has an interview for perth or darwin base & if any current or former staff could full us in on pay, conditions & schedules.
:):):)

dizzylizzy
8th Sep 2009, 09:10
They've returned their A330-300 to Air Luxor and now replaced it with A330-200 & added A320 to their fleet painted in their own Strategic livery. I believe that Honiara will be a destination exBNE, not sure exPER and if they're continuing their contract with the defence force.

flight04
12th Sep 2009, 01:26
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone could fill me in.

If I were based in say Brisbane or Perth with strategic would I be rostered to fly to the middle east on the government contract. I'm not too keen on flying back here. Would rather just fly domesticly in OZ..
Is it only Darwin crew who crew flights to Kuwait ect.

Would there be anyway NOT to work on those trips if you were brisbane or perth base??

Cheers..

Crew rest.
14th Sep 2009, 01:20
Perth base you would not do ME flights very often. Brisbane: yes. But at any base you would be expected to go anywhere they want to send you.

Good luck with the interview.

Aussy_Airlines
18th Sep 2009, 11:05
Okay everyone here is the verdict....Strategic are employing new Cabin Crew under OzJet Airlines Pty Ltd

Perth Base 38K...no allowances...DTA etc not a thing

Hours can be anything basically can go up or down! What do you think its a good move?

Aussy_Airlines
18th Sep 2009, 14:22
Hey, Perth Base 38K no DTA or allowances..... would it really be worth it they could roster you 80hr weeks and you would only get the same money.....it doesnt state how many hours a week etc...

GalleyHag
18th Sep 2009, 15:05
If you are working 9-5 Monday to Friday and your 18 not a bad gig. Other than that they are just exploiting you!

Aussy_Airlines
20th Sep 2009, 04:34
Hey,

Well I have heard good and bad with Strategic and the Manager of Cabin Crew is very nice.

The contract's that they are currently offering are common law agreements, I for one would be getting the union onboard and trying to get some sort of EBA draw up to improve current conditions.....maybe sometime in the future people will want to work for them?

:confused::confused::confused:

justcosyourjealous
4th Oct 2009, 02:41
New contracts are terrible from what I have heard I would stear clear of this airline.

NewFlybie
5th Oct 2009, 03:44
would love to know what you hve heard about the new contracts
where did you find out about this
what have you heard

Boomerang_Butt
30th Oct 2009, 07:31
Be sure to check which base you are being employed for, I have heard talk around the traps in Perth that crew were recently hired on the premise of being based in Perth, then on the first day told they would be based in Darwin doing the military charters. The Perth based flying is the old OzJet Derby-Curtin route, and the odd charter I guess. Seems like they are not being very up-front with prospective crew, as others have said- there are much better places to start!

hi.flier
1st Nov 2009, 22:39
Hi all,
i have a friend that works there, and they reckon its one of the best jobs they have had,
easy work, great layovers and the management team are very friendly and approachable...
they reckon its better than working commercial, such as EK, QF, VS,etc,
you get the long haul experience, the airbus training, and you go where no other aus airline will go, and therefore your easy access to the rest of the world.

skymad
9th Nov 2009, 01:01
Hey Everyone!

I currently live and work as a flight attendant in Melbourne but my partner lives in Adelaide. I was wondering if anyone knows much about how the Darwin rosters work; ie how long away how long home etc. I would like to work out the possibilities of living with my partner and commuting to Darwin for work.

Ciao,

SkyMad :ok:

glitzy-luc
11th Nov 2009, 23:13
I have never heard of this airline. Will go and do some research now!I take it that its not a public airline though...does it mainly just carry troops?
Im tring to get a cabin crew job in australia. I would prefer to work for jetstar, virgn blue etc but maybe this one could be a start...

glitzy-luc
11th Nov 2009, 23:16
Ok its a charter airline so companies can hire it out??
I went on the careers section but it said no vacancies.

NewFlybie
14th Nov 2009, 07:14
Hi,
I had a look at strategics website www.strategicavaiation.com.au (http://www.strategicavaiation.com.au), clicked on the about us and careers section from the drop down meue. Strategic are looking for Cabin crew - have copied and pasted what was on the careers section'
FLIGHT ATTENDANTS - Flight Operations Department

Strategic is currently seeking individuals with a customer service focus to join our Cabin Crew team at our Darwin base. These critical roles require enthusiastic and dedicated people with the ability to work in a team environment. Bit of background information from what i know of strategic. Used to carry Oz troops o'seas and back and that was predominately it.. They are trying to start up operations in Oz, wish them the best but with Qantas, Virgin, Qantaslink, Jetstar, tiger I am not sure how they will go but good luck to them
Depending on who you ask some say its great to work for them, some say its not, not sure who to believe really, I have heard base pay is $38k and thats it. No DTA, no over time. So union may want to come in on that because i think that is not good pay at all. The interview process a friend went through, basically had a phone interview and that was it may have changed since then.. Good luck heres the ad from their website below

Required:

Minimum 18 years of age
At least 12 months experience as a flight attendant
Proven ability to provide an outstanding level of customer service
Current First Aid Certificate with a validity of 12 months at the time of application
Australian Permanent Resident
A Passport with at least 12 months validity
Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) Certificate
Ability to swim 50 metres unaided and fully clothed
Federal Police Clearance
Available to travel for extended periods, often at short notice
Highly self-motivated, reliable and flexible (work a rotating and/or irregular roster)
Attend a pre-employment medical assessment arranged by Strategic
Available to commence training in the first week of September 2009Applicants will only be considered for these roles if they meet all of the above pre-requisite criteria.

glitzy-luc
14th Nov 2009, 12:33
Thanks for that info!Although im out with the cabin crew experience!

Goport
15th Dec 2009, 07:32
Hi everyone

Strategic are holding interviews for Pth & Darwin Bases, here in Perth. Is it really worth going? From the infomation that is set out here...I have my concerns! Anyone else going wed/thur ?

bigjet787
15th Dec 2009, 20:25
I agree tcas, I have worked for Strategic for 1.5 years and we have just received our new contracts which have better DTA and soon we are flying to Bali so more choices for us.Crews are great and conditions are better now under Strategic Airlines so I think you should apply.

flyer37
7th Jan 2010, 04:40
if there are no allowances, what does the crew live off if they are away for 2 weeks or more as stated? Therefore the wages would be really really LOW!

flyingmattress
7th Jan 2010, 07:58
Unfortunately it doesn't give you pay summaries, but towards where they are going, and what they intend on doing, the best source of information is on their website....
If anyone who is "actually" working for them can give me a synopsis on $$$, would love to hear some more....:)

flyboi44
1st Feb 2010, 10:39
i'm an ex QF long haul hostie. My partner has just returned to darwin and i am left here in perth. I was invited to an interview in darwin, however, i was unable to attend. can any darwin crew give me any info on the base/duties/$$ etc?

ilana182
2nd Feb 2010, 05:45
Strategic are like the only ones where you need to have prior CC experience ... how annoying!

AirborneSoon
2nd Feb 2010, 08:23
Maybe that's because they are charter and don't have the time to get new crew up to speed. Scheduled airlines have the frequency to get newbies up and running fairly quickly. In your first roster you may be more than 60 flights, and you'll work with a great variety of crew so there's plenty of resources to help you settle in. Strategic have a small crew base, lower frequency and want crew who already know the ropes and the basic flow of how things happen. They are very likely looking for people who can walk onboard and run the show from day one.

Not to put newbies down, but it generally takes several months for new crew to really put it all together. It's not difficult it's just there's a lot going on all at once and it takes a while to establish a pattern for yourself.

gflyer
25th Feb 2010, 21:33
Hi guys does anyone have any idea how the base in paris is running right now ? Strategic looking for c.crew but dont know what to expect ...any info welcome

Taylor67
16th Mar 2010, 10:33
Hi All

I worked for Strategic on the military contract based in Darwin in 2007, when they leased the aircraft from Hifly (Air Luxor). The company management changed last year and I am not sure if it is a good thing or not as I am no longer with them.
In 2008 the company was all over the place, it was a bit of a sham!! and for previously very experienced commercial crew it could be frustrating as there were 'no rules' but sometimes it did work in your favour and was quite funny, other times you would find yourself flying all day and night and ops and the pilots constantly fighting about if they/when they would fly. It was always filled with drama!
I hear now it is far more in line with other airlines as they now have an AOC.
It is hard to know if they will survive or not, but seem to be growing??? the company always keeps you in the dark though.
They originally only had crew in Darwin and Sydney ( only 6 in Sydney) and have recently transferred crew from Darwin to Brisbane, however the Brisbane crew seem to be endlessly on standby and do mainly domestic flights to Darwin, only occassionally to the Middle East.
The Darwin crew do the Middle East flights.
There are only a couple of crew in Sydney.
Perth is a new base doing Perth - Derby, maybe Bali???? but that was suppose to be from Brisbane originally???? who knows I don't think they do!!
They have a lot of crew from aviation australia who it is there first flying job.
When I left in 2008 the crew were mainly unhappy and most of the experienced ones left it was only those that knew no better or had no other option who stayed.
However as I said new management, so maybe better - who knows????

Taylor67
16th Mar 2010, 10:36
Base is 38K with hourly rate $4-5. Ok if you are on the Middle East, but domestic would suck!

CabinDude84
10th Apr 2010, 02:55
Would anyone know how many overnights per month(if any) the Perth Cabin Crew do?
And if so, to what destinations? How would the conditions here compare to say Skywest et al??

hbkz
26th Jul 2010, 17:31
New to the forum! Been flying for Virgin Blue nearly 7 years, currently a Cabin Supervisor... Can anyone tell me anything about Strategic Airlines??... They are based in Perth, Darwin, Brisbane, Paris and London. I know they do charter flights and flights to Bali. I have only found one guest review and they seem like a new airline... I only heard of them yesterday.... Anyone have any information?...Theyre currently recruiting and I'm looking into it. Any help would be appreciated.

ANZzeal123
1st Dec 2010, 19:43
Hi there ,

Just wondering if anyone knows much about the conditions etc of this new Australian airline..

I currently fly and just wanting to weigh it up.

Cheers

angel14
1st Dec 2010, 21:44
Hi There,

they are not a new airline but I believe they are going to start flying from Melbourne:)

Fly Strategic > Home (http://www.flystrategic.com.au/)

Big_Angel
11th Dec 2010, 07:52
..have anyone any idea'bout interview process?..

..thanks a lot..

ANZzeal123
14th Dec 2010, 03:17
Hi there,

I just got in for MEL base ,intially only experienced crew as they need them to get things rolling,then I would say open it up .The base pay is more than 38k nearly 40k which is better base then any other australian airline as qf vb only 36-37k plus the dta sign on to sin off so its a really good deal..I currently work for a major australian airline and I am leaving for strategic as its an amazing opportunity.The management whom I have meet are awesome really approachable and its an exciting time so who ever is thinking about it DO IT !

NewFlybie
15th Dec 2010, 05:08
Hi

Congrats in getting in for Mel base. What did you have to do through the recruitment process, was it group interviews or panel?

ANZzeal123
15th Dec 2010, 06:48
Thanks,It was a panel interview as all the people being interviewed were experienced, but i believe when its opened up to people with out crew experience it will be assessment day.

NewFlybie
15th Dec 2010, 23:46
Thanks for that, I am assuming it was just the normal questions they ask

superllama87
17th Dec 2010, 01:54
im currently working at another domestic airline and considering applying, but im just not sure how stable it would be to move??? there just doesnt seem to be much expansion, and they dont really have much of a network. but from what ive heard the conditions are pretty good (plus i wouldnt mind getting sent to HKT every now and then!).

gallie girl
18th Dec 2010, 00:57
Can anyone tell me what the reserve period is for getting to the airport. Ie 2 hours 1.5 hours? I live south of brisbane and I am wanting to get back into flying after AN went bust. Although maybe not for another 12 months - have a toddler. How is the roster sorted? Bidding? Thanks in advance GG

Tony.S
28th Dec 2010, 00:06
Plans are to fly to Honolulu and Vietnam in the next 12 months. They are wanting to double staff in the next 12 months aswell. I think they are going to be expanding quite a bit.. probably will depend on how good they go with HKT and DPS flights

leigh_t28
29th Dec 2010, 23:20
Hi All

Have previously flown for another domestic Aus airline and wanna get back into flying. I have applied with Strategic but not heard anything yet. They say on the site that start date is 16th Jan. This is cutting it fine isnt it, considering the job ad was only posted a week ago.

Can anyone tell me what the rosters are like? I will be applying for Melbourne base. Are crew getting over nights? What are trhe slips like? Has anyone heard on current pay and conditions?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ilana182
30th Dec 2010, 21:25
I spoke to a girl the other day who works for Strategic ... she said they get full time pay but only fly about once a week. They stay overnight in Bali etc and come back the next day. She said you do a lot of standby.

Tony.S
30th Dec 2010, 21:43
From Melbourne the layover in Phuket is 2 nights.. arrive afternoon in Phuket.. stay 2 nights.. then leave the third night late in the evening for an overnight flight. Brisbane to Bali is 1 night layover and I think Perth to Bali and Port Hedland to Bali are turnarounds because the flight is so short from those destinations. Check out there website and have a look at the timetables tab to see when the flights leave and when they return.

You get a tax free away from Base allowance which is calculated hourly for every hour you are away. Pay is quite good. You will be operating from different bases sometimes aswell. Other than the commercial flying, you will also be rostered on charter flights for strategic aswell.

They gave confirmation of who was hired a few weeks ago.. not sure if they are still interviewing as it is cutting it fine now for the training start date of 16 January.. considering you need ASIC card applications through and medical assessments etc done aswell.

leigh_t28
4th Jan 2011, 04:46
I emailed Strategic today and got a "All Flight Attendant Positions have been filled for the next Ground School" reply.

Said they would keep my details on file for any future positions but were very vague and didn't say of anymore upcoming recruitment drives.

Oh well... Gunna try Qantas next...

REALLY wanna fly again soon!

leigh_t28
15th Feb 2011, 02:09
Had an interview with Strategic yesterday for Melbourne base. Only 2 positions. Not sure exactly how many people they were interviewing though.

cptn caveman
8th Mar 2011, 01:28
How did your interview go? Have you flown before?

leigh_t28
12th Mar 2011, 04:21
Hey cptn,

Yeah worked for VB for 18 months. Got an email the other day that was unsuccessful. I knew they were only hiring 2 crew so Im sure there were plenty of other more experienced crew than I. Maybe the fact Ive never flown on Airbus may have hindered me too. I'll sit tight and re-apply in 6 months. I have also applied with VB again but they have a freeze on recruitment atm according to my insiders.

Leigh

flystarboy
13th Mar 2011, 12:31
Does anyone know who the management team are for this new start up in the UK this summer?:confused:

Button-pusher
14th Mar 2011, 22:13
flystarboy, they have already recruited for UK operations,

dy1ng_to_fly
14th Aug 2011, 02:53
I've just seen that Strategic is recruiting for MEL based CC, but I've heard very little about the airline and their route/conditions etc.

Can anyone shed some light on them? Specifically for Melbourne based crew.

Hobart RockStarr
15th Aug 2011, 10:25
Hey all, I'm also interested in any current info on this airline.
It appears to have ahd a refurb, and its marketing appears to be quite modern and professional.
Anyone who works there know anything?
Im hesitant to go back to the middle east so any other International options outside of JQ VA and QF are all on the table!

smi006
23rd Aug 2011, 05:14
Hey Guys,
I have also seen that add for VC on seek and am considering applying. However finding out some or any of their conditions is horrifically painful!
No one on here has any ideas about the pay or such? 38-40 sounds decent plus DTA, how many rostered hours a month, how many standbys, how long are rosters, how are they worked out seniority, no choice. Where is training held, BNE, SYD, MEL?
On a side note they are rebranding on the 30th of October as Air Australia, any insider info? Hearing they will move to an LCC business model.
If no one feels like discussing the above publicly , please feel free to privately message me J
Hope everyone is well and wishing all the best for the upcoming recruitments!

Red-eye
23rd Aug 2011, 10:02
It might be because they can't say anything.

CatchMeIfYouCan
8th Nov 2011, 08:36
Hi Flier...ha, ha.:O

Wondering if your friend has any specific details on current recruitment process if enlisting for Cabin Crew with Air Australia/Strategic? Or even a helpful hand in? Be sure to offer the same courtesy when requested of me, regardless of your response. Thanks Hi-Flier.

Take care in the Air.

CatchMeIfYouCan