PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a kick up the back-side..

Funkie
22nd Nov 2001, 00:36
Hi all,

I need some advice/guidance or a kick up the back-side and told to get on with it…

I’m 22 years old and am putting my self forward to AFCO, again, hopefully to be put forward to OASC for final selection as GD(P). I am, well let's say apprehensive.

I had originally contacted the AFCO 6 months ago, was shown the officer/airmen aircrew presentation and followed this up with the filter interview. The interview could have gone better, however the interviewing officer did ‘see potential, and I should re-apply in 3 months’.

Thing is 3 months have long since passed, and I have been busy with my current job, studying for a part-time Beng, working a part-time job to pay for my flying and going to the gym to get fit. Because of this, I feel in a sort of limbo, I really want to join the RAF as I feel that it will give me new focus and direction, and allow my fly, a passion since I was a wee boy.

I only have this one chance to make a good impression at OASC (if selected), as if I fail, it’ll be a letter through the door saying ‘sorry, but you have been unsuccessful…… please re-apply in one year’ by which time I’ll be too old.

I hope this does not seem like a rant, and I know that no doubt you’ll see folks like me on these pages all the time, but I would be grateful for any advice

Yours,

Fra
:) :)

Tonkenna
22nd Nov 2001, 01:04
Fra,

You have 3 choices as far as I see it,

1. Try now.
2. Leave it a bit, until perhaps you feel more prepared.
3. Don't do it.

I would imagine that 3 is a none starter. If you don't try there will always be the "what if" in your head.

If you go for 2, you do not want to wait too long as you may well run out of time, however, it may be better to leave it a month or so while you sort your head out.

So its up to you, but the dreams of youth can only be realised if you try.

SO, get on with it!

Tonks :)

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: Tonkenna ]

left one o clock
22nd Nov 2001, 01:12
Mate,
For all its faults (many and varied) the RAF and the selection organisation in particular, likes people who know what they want, or at least who seem to. If you wanna do it, do it but don't expect life as an RAF pilot to give you new direction if you lack it at the mo'.

I wish you luck

fobotcso
22nd Nov 2001, 03:43
Errr..., Fra, your profile says one of your interests is:

"becoming a Commercial Pilot".

You're in the wrong Forum. (Unless you meant "professional pilot".)

That may have been a Freudian slip. Before going for your next interview get it clear in your head whether you want to be a professional Military Pilot - and go and kill people - or want to mix it with the Trolley Dollies in the forward galley.

If you want to wage war in or with military aircraft, don't delay. Go for it right now! The sooner you start training the better. But be under no illusion; that's what Military Aviation is all about.

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: fobotcso ]

Arm out the window
22nd Nov 2001, 06:39
Being a military pilot and being interested in being a commercial pilot aren't mutually exclusive!

Mach the Knife
22nd Nov 2001, 08:12
"Not mutually exclusive", true. However, those military pilots that would really rather be commercial pilots tend to be a waste of rations with poor motivation and are generally a burden to their unit.

Strobin' Purple
22nd Nov 2001, 17:05
Hey Mach

Was it at Exeter or Bournemouth you did your CPL/IR? Just wondered.

Brgds

SP

Funkie
22nd Nov 2001, 23:13
Sorry chaps,

If the truth be told, when I joined the vast circle of Pprune, I did not know what it was all about, certainly not that a forums such as these were available, your right, professional pilot would have been the correct terms, I think I'll change my profile...

Anyway, thanks for the input, and I do have some time to sort things out. The P2 presentation is not until 19th Dec, and I hope arrange an interview for mid to late Jan and then hopefully OASC, plenty time to get it right.

I wont know unless I try, and that is exactly what I intend to do.

Thanks

fobotcso
23rd Nov 2001, 18:16
Eez Okay. Good Luck!

HalesAndPace
23rd Nov 2001, 19:37
Fra, planning ahead, look over your hobbies & interests. If you are a solo under-water basket weaver, or solitaire champion (no adverse comments intended to anyone so skilled!!), consider broadening your outlook. Anything that can demonstrate organisational skills & involvement will count very much in your favour at OASC (sorry, but organising the boys' curry night out won't count!). ;)

Just-a-Driver
23rd Nov 2001, 19:43
Mach you're out of order. I am a current Mil pilot who is interested in a job outside, as is my right. However, I also work my b@lls off for this company and I certainly would not be doing what I'm doing if I was badly motivated. Gross generalisations do nobody any favours.
I will work to the end of my commission then go, but I won't blinker myself until that day.

fobotcso
24th Nov 2001, 15:40
Fra, I hope you're still there because I want to offset the apparent "gung ho" tone of my post above about killing people. I didn't mean it quite the way it may seem.

Most Military people are the same as the rest of the population. They dislike conflict for the pain and cost that result. But, they have chosen a job that enables them to do something about ensuring that the outcome of conflict is in their National favour. In doing so they can be ordered to go in harm's way; and they can be ordered to kill others.

Military aviators do this in aircraft - often in relative safety - in what may seem to be an "unfair" and "unequal" balance of risk.

But whatever rôle they fly in they are contributing to the war effort, and there is no room for those without the stomach for the fight.

You have got to want to do this.

By all means keep a long term interest in becoming a Commercial pilot for an airline. But keep that interest on the back burner.

You probably knew all this; but I thought I'd spell it out anyway. Again, Good Luck!