PDA

View Full Version : Retention Pay Deal

JagMate
21st Nov 2001, 22:47
There must be someone out there that has some inside knowledge on this huge pay deal that is to be announced this next month and implemented in Mar/Apr next year. Spill the beans.

jayteeto
22nd Nov 2001, 00:39
:rolleyes: have you been drinking?

Titan Locked
22nd Nov 2001, 00:53
As the retention bonus that was announced for this year was a "2 year deal" I wouldn't have thought there is going to be anything else announced other than the usual 0.5% pay rise until Apr 03!! The blip in the civilian market, hopefully shortlived, has given the lords and masters time to think (that'll be a first!!)or more likely believe the retention problem will have now gone away (or at least until they are promoted / posted / retired or whatever) and it is no longer their problem.

Cynical ... yes. Realist ... ?

TL

Stan Bydike
22nd Nov 2001, 10:06
Titan Locked

The results of theAircrewRetention Study which was rushed around starting last March were supposed to have been announced around about now. I believe that has now been delayed till Feb.

As the AFBLT were at pains to point out we are short of Aircrew - not just Pilots - however, the Civil airline recruiting blip may provide an excuse to bin the review although of course that would do nothing for non-pilot aircrew retention or indeed address the longer term Pilot shortage but as you say those that are in power will have retired by then - not my problem :mad:

Titan Locked
23rd Nov 2001, 01:22
Stan

You're right, it is aircrew retention - as a fully paid up member of SODCATs I should have known that and no elitistism was intended! It still doesn't alter the fact that it is unlikely (IMHO) there will any great promises, regardless of when it is announced, that will result in financial gain before Apr 03.

TL

LambJalfraezi
23rd Nov 2001, 22:46
Don't know a lot about this, but can tell you a bit. I heard this first hand from an air officer who knows. The recommendations of the AFPRB went to the treasury in Aug. According to the grand fromage, the proposed package was excellent and in his opinion 'extremely retention positive'. He would not be drawn on any specifics, but would only say that even if somebody was VERY disillusioned, the deal on the table would give them serious pause for thought before leaving. BUT then came the tragedy that was Sep 11. The Treasury promptly announced that the situation had changed since the review was initiated, and could they please do some penny-pinching? The result is that the RAF is fighting any change, using the valid argument that the airline hiring freeze is just a blip, the recruitment for rotary pilots has gone up, and it is not only pilots, but every other aircrew branch that we need to retain. This is why the announcement that was to come in Nov, will now only say that the announcement will actually be in Feb. The chap I spoke with does not know what changes (if any) will be made to the recommendations that he saw, but did say that that making the wrong decision for a second year running would be a disaster. :rolleyes:

D-IFF_ident
24th Nov 2001, 02:10
I hope the treasury understand that Navigators have not been affected by the Sept 11 atrocities. There were no relevant jobs for them to go to before, there still aren't and a lot of them have MBAs. Where I serve the Nav branch are running at around 60% establishment and a number of those left can give 6 months notice or are approaching option points. Add to this the fact that air travel is the only plausible mode of long-range transport and, therefore, the airline industry will recover and it becomes common sense to cover all your bases. Sorry, did I say common sense? :rolleyes: