PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

ScottishSteve
21st Nov 2001, 18:42
I am now in the UAS (wont name which one), and would like to join up now, (as a UB i believe they call us), and then do my time! :p

My question is, is it worth it? Do you recommend the RAF life? (i know it seems helluva good to me just now!) We're treated rather well in the UAS, but i've heard stories about the Cadets, and was wondering if this continues in to the Service itself (if true)

If I dont make it as flight crew, would you recommend Intelligence at all, or should I then make the drastic jump into Commercial?

Thanks so much for any replies.

Steve

bad livin'
21st Nov 2001, 19:14
Hello Steve, first off well done on entry to the UAS - if u make the most of your time there, as many friends of mine did, you will make great friendships, learn an enormous amount about the air force and military life in general, and have the chance to decide if those are things you want out of life. If for whatever reason you don't succeed as aircrew, there are a great many other careers available in the service (although many will disagree!). Work hard, do your best, and it will pay off. Best of luck - joining up was the best decision I ever made.

Rgds
BL

Dr Schlong
21st Nov 2001, 22:41
Which time are you referring to, BL?!
:D :eek: :D :p

bad livin'
21st Nov 2001, 22:54
All of them mate! I'll be seeing you soon. :D :D :cool:

Tonkenna
21st Nov 2001, 23:08
Hi Steve,

Well, if you are in the UAS and not yet a burser, you need to get your @rse into gear as the paperwork needs to be off your unit asap (end of Nov). If not you will not get a bursary for the next year.

You don't say how long you have been on the UAS. The options that are open to you are many and varied. You should be getting an idea has to how the flying is going from your instructors. If you get turned down for an aircrew bursary or for aircrew if you join DE then there is always ground branches.

First you have to consider whether you really want to join as ground crew after setting your heart on aircrew. Secondly, which branch. You mentioned the Int branch, but you must realise that there are very few taken on each year, and I don't think there are any bursars (don't take my word though).

As for civvie street, well, as you can imagine things are a little tough in that direction, but as I am no expert I will leave that to others to explain.

Life in the RAF is ofcourse different to the UAS. For a start you have to work for a living and this can be hard long hours. Flying training gets tougher, but that is what you spesialise in, not that and Uni work as at the moment. Things are only just starting once on a Sqn as there is much more to get on with. It is also not all flying, there are secondary duties and station duties and other things to keep you occupied. However, I love the life overall and would not (despite some bad times amongst the really good times) change a thing.

In the long run it is up to you.

Hope that helps,

Tonks :)

PS talk to your QFIs

BEagle
21st Nov 2001, 23:22
......and don't forget to ask your QFIs about their opinion of other branches of HMFC. Such as Air Trafficking - some QFIs have particularly good information about this branch, eh Tonks....??

Tonkenna
21st Nov 2001, 23:26
"You sh@g one sheep" !!!!

Or was it 2? Can't remember.

Hi BEags. I can't beleive how much milage you are getting out of one night in Ilas Malvinas. (She was lovely though :) )

Tonks :D

ScottishSteve
21st Nov 2001, 23:56
erm...thanks. I found answers somewhere in between the nice wee catch-up sessions on the board. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seriously though, any advice is much appreciated. Tonks, I wasnt expecting a bursary for joining Intelligence Services!

Steve (Officer Cadet Steve that is :D )

Chinese Vic
22nd Nov 2001, 00:05
Hi Steve
Go for the brevet mate! And if you don't make it, my branch (Int) currently runs one course of 12 studes (mainly ab-initio with some re-selectees) every 5 months or so. Any flying hours you get are always valuable because at least you will be able to understand the two-wing master race's banter!
Good Luck

Vic

Tonkenna
22nd Nov 2001, 00:56
Steve,

Don't forget though, there are bursaries for some ground branch.

Tonks