PDA

View Full Version : Airfield Ops

750XL
17th Sep 2009, 18:52
Hello all.

This is my first post here, so please be kind :ok:

To cut a long story short I've always had a passion for aviation and have a year left at college studying 'Aviation Operations'. For a few years now airfield operations has always appealed to me and is a job I'd love to do. I was just wondering if there is anyone here who works in airfield ops and would be able to give a bit of advice on where to start or how to get into airfield ops :) I've done a bit of research but couldn't find much specifically related to airfield operations and how to get there.

Any replies / PM's would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

750XL

42psi
17th Sep 2009, 19:16
I think you'll find it highly unlikely that you would be able able to enter airfield ops directly without having first put some airfield experience under your belt.

One option for you to try might well be to see if as part of/added onto your course it's possible to get a day-release/work experience with a nearby airfield.

As with many jobs most folks take whatever they can get to start with and then once they have a "foot in the door" and getting some aviation work experience start knocking on the doors.

It might help to know what your most local airfield actually is?

750XL
17th Sep 2009, 19:47
Hello, thanks for the reply.

I live in the North West so Manchester/Liverpool/Blackpool are all fairly close to me. I understand it'd be extremely difficult to go straight into an airfield ops job so I'm guessing something like baggage handling would be the sort of job I should be aiming for?

Thanks

750XL

42psi
17th Sep 2009, 21:34
750XL .... it would seem you live in my neck of the woods :eek:

I'll pm you tomorrow with further info :ok:

call100
18th Sep 2009, 20:13
Just to add, that it is possible to get into Airfield ops without previous experience but obviously it helps. The training that has now evolved is pretty comprehensive. The difficulty you will have is finding any vacancies. As the Job is well paid (Well it is here!!:}) and more secure than most, people rarely leave so vacancies usually only occur due to promotions etc.
Apart from that 42psi gave you some good advice..Good luck and I hope his PM bears some fruit..:ok: