PDA

View Full Version : Question for any Indian Airline Pilots

aviationluver
17th Sep 2009, 16:23
Hello,

I am an American of Indian ethnicity. Recently, I was just awarded my Indian Overseas Citizenship Status (OCI), which gives me work rights in India.

Do you think it would be better to apply to an Indian carrier as an expat or do you think I should get my FAA ATPL converted to an Indian ATPL and apply as an OCI?

Also, does anyone know the best method and steps involved in converting my FAA ATPL to an Indian ATPL? My parents are planning to visit India this November. I am planning to give them copies of all my certificates, logbooks, etc. Do you know of any flight schools or examiners that could meet with them and give my parents clear instructions on what I could do to convert my certificate?

If you could provide any help, please PM me.

guitarboy
18th Sep 2009, 17:00
i think coming in either ways will help. you can talk to the airlines on how they would prefer it. The OCI thing is probably more worthy than an expat. Supposedly all expats are going to be out by July 2010 from India.thats a deadline.!!! ;)

Conversion of your ATPL will not be a big problem. visit dgca's website and you'l have a better idea. In my experience talking to a CFi etc will cost you money rather everything is there on the dgca website. after you do so, then all doubts can be cleared here.

though two things i know is that you will have to give the ATPL EXAMS n after you pass them the ATPL ORALs & Get an Indian Class 1 medical.

spedfast
18th Sep 2009, 17:15
@aviationluver
depends on whether you are applying for a left seat or a right seat job.
If for left seat, talk to the company. They could take you over on the FATA. And while you work, you could work your way towards converting your ATPLs.

No chance of getting a FATA for a right seat view though.
To be honest, very little chance of getting a right seat job in the first place. But that obviously depends on your type and the strings you pull.
good luck either ways!