PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to Sangiovese

fobotcso
2nd Oct 2001, 13:37
In a now closed thread about AD over London I was critical of the PPRuNer "Sangiovese".

I was aiming at "Follow me Through" but I applied too much "Angle Off" and got the wrong bloke

It was late and I was cross..

Public Humble Apologies

Jackonicko
2nd Oct 2001, 14:19
Closing the other thread seemed unnecessarily over-cautious. There was an interesting underlying question (with the Cold War basing of UKAD assets, how well defended is London?) although the poster's (perhaps over specific) stated question (asking for reaction times) may have been naive (though who can't work it out?). There was no sign of anyone being willing or ready to give away any information which could remotely be considered as secret.

Besides which, I doubt that OBL would repeat his NY tactics in London (not only because his potential targets are less readily identifiable from the air, and less easy to hit than the Pentagon, set in its grounds, or tall towers). Shouldn't be worried about something nasty left in a suitcase in Leicester Square Underground? Smallpox, perhaps?

gravity victim
2nd Oct 2001, 14:53
From what I recall of Leicester Square Underground, a case of smallpox left there would be like a breath of fresh air! :D

Gainesy
2nd Oct 2001, 15:06
GV Dead Easy!
Tottenham Court Road,
Goodge Street,
Warren Street,
Euston,
Mornington Crescent :D

Sir_Lurkalot
2nd Oct 2001, 16:00
Ah Ha
The infamous Heisenberg Crossover Gambit. You are obviously used to playing the Thrubwell variant. :cool:

sangiovese
2nd Oct 2001, 18:42
fobotsco - thanks mate. Good to see a true gentleman out there (ps for future reference I'm a chap!)

Gainsey - interesting to see you capitalise on GV's poor positional play and consolidate the strong Outer Ring. However the Mornington Crescent is invalid since your curving loop shift carelessly placed your team in Nip without realising it. Luckily, no damage done. Now if you'd tried the triple Helsinki response I could understand your play old chap.......

Sir Lurkalot - well noted. Obviously you're an officiado of the Luxembourg rules

Flatus Veteranus
2nd Oct 2001, 21:53
Jackonicko, agree with you on this one. To deter someone, you have to have the capability and make sure he damn well knows it. If you are secretive about your capabilities, the opposition will infer that you don't have them. We never made any secret about the reaction times of the V QRA force; the imperative was to get airborne within the 4 mins warning time. However, we must respect the sensitivity of the serving guys and gals to what is presumably classified information.

Interesting that my France-based daughter tells me that French TV has publicised the readiness states of the Armé de l'Air's interceptor force. (2 Sqns @ 2 mins)

I am writing to my MP saying how heartened I was when holidaying on Skye last week to see the RAF Tornados playing hard in the gorgeous weather, and how discouraged I was when I droppped by RAF Middleton St George to find it masquerading as Teeseside International Airport. The RAF deployment posture now seems totally at variance with the likely threat. We need fighter stations in the south of England and, of local concern here, to REOPEN CHIVENOR!

Tonkenna
2nd Oct 2001, 21:58
Trouble is though, I am sure the third player has been blocked and is thus in "Nidd". Personally I like the French variation Mornington Croissant, as it tastes so good with butter first thing in the morning. Check out OLD Twonks Almanac (Ed 302), its all there. :D :D

Tonks

Jackonicko
3rd Oct 2001, 03:33
Obviously some very fine lines to tread, but another argument against hiding capability weaknesses is that if they aren't wiely known about, the politicians won't spend money remedying them.

Out Of Trim
3rd Oct 2001, 04:12
Perhaps we had better take back Wattisham and install Eurofighter Typhoon damn quickley.. Response time should be quicker tham present!! :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

X-QUORK
3rd Oct 2001, 15:17
Out Of Trim,

Providing OBL's plans don't go further than a microlight attack on Stowmarket, the glorious Hairy Arm Corps are quite sufficient at Wattisham.

Slow, but very keen. :D

BEagle
3rd Oct 2001, 21:41
No - throw the dung-eaters out of Wattisham once and for all and move them to somewhere like Macrihanish, get the Royal Machines out of Devon's finest fighter station and move them to the Isle of Arran - or St. Kilda - and get some UK AD back to civilisation!! Eurofighters at Chiv - paradise!!

[ 03 October 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

Jackonicko
4th Oct 2001, 02:25
A cunning plan, to avoid difficulties when the picts and druids want full independence. Move everything from Valley to Chivenor (AHHHHH). Move everything from Leuchars to Wattisham. Move everything from Lossiemouth to Honington. Keep Coltishall. Move everything from Kinloss to Scampton/Finingley/wherever. Move all RN helos in Scotland to Leconfield.

Sumo664
4th Oct 2001, 02:59
Didn't u guys ever notice that there was a cunning plan to move the riff-raff to the furthest extremities of our lovely island. Well apart from lincolnshire and frankly u are welcome to that!
As an added bonus I hear that since the Army moved into Wattisham the incidence of cone-headed children has dropped for the first time in living memory....

fobotcso
4th Oct 2001, 13:27
Jacko, don't forget to move MoD to Mornington Crescent. It'll be as safe as houses there.

Gainesy
4th Oct 2001, 19:15
Typical, tried to invoke the Huddersfield Protocol and the PC went TU for two days.

Room for a few jets at Dunsfold.

Jackonicko
5th Oct 2001, 15:23
Fobotsco

Direct from Whitehall to Mornington Crescent? What rules are you playing by, man?

Tonkenna
5th Oct 2001, 15:34
Jacko,

I think you might find that he is making it up as he goes along. I think they are called CFS rules. That said, he could be using CFS Trapper rules which means making the rules up to suit your self

Tonks :D

Flatus Veteranus
5th Oct 2001, 21:48
So the Madhouse admitted on the radio this am that they have moved fighters closer to London, and they can react in a "few minutes". Great - as far as it goes. Detachments are expensive and a pain in the a*se for everyone. Next thing is to grasp the nettle and move a squadron permanently to Wattisham or Chiv - heaving the grunts out if necesary.

I thought the backsides of our revered leaders might be performing "sixpence/half-crown manoeuvres!" :)

Red Snow
5th Oct 2001, 22:14
AD over London? I hear there may be a bit of air and ramp space becoming free at Heathrow soon...

fobotcso
6th Oct 2001, 14:26
Jacko, really! I didn't say direct. For jumping to a conclusion (as journos are wont to do :p ) that'll be two rush-hour orbits of the Circle Line - clockwise.

Anyway, after the Amsterdam Convention it was allowed that, when not in nidd, one over-ground traverse is permitted on Thursdays. The sight of all 3000 occupants of Main Building following SoS and CDS in full regalia should be entertaining should it ever happen. But I expect that Junkin's Progression would get them out of it.

Tonks, you have been well taught! You've almost blown my cover. I guess the basics of QFI'ing haven't changed.

Tell 'em what you're going to do

Do it

Tell 'em what actually happened

Never failed me.