PDA

View Full Version : Laser Lad Pinged

Capt Claret
17th Sep 2009, 04:35
from the ABC News website (my bolding).

Man fronts court over lasering plane

Posted 2 hours 7 minutes ago

A 20-year-old Brisbane man has faced court over charges relating to pointing a laser at a plane.

Police seized a laser from Nicholas Gregory's home at Ashgrove in inner-city Brisbane after a pilot reported seeing a green light in the cockpit as he flew over the area.

The aviation student appeared briefly in the Roma Street Magistrates Court this morning charged with common assault and endangering the safe use of a vehicle.

The matter was adjourned to later this month when he is expected to enter a plea.

Silly boy. Wonder what this'll do to his ARN & ability to hold an ASIC?

Jabawocky
17th Sep 2009, 04:54
If that was an electrician, who touched two phases of a 3 phase supply, just to see how 415v felt......... you would say he deserves what is coming to him/her.:ugh:

I think my Care Cup is EMPTY! :mad:

The Green Goblin
17th Sep 2009, 05:00
Stupid stupid stupid!

Torquatus
17th Sep 2009, 06:13
He's commited an aviation related offence, and he's demonstrably an inappropriate person to hold an ASIC. I'd say he can kiss his aviation career goodbye.

I don't have too much sympathy for people who do this sort of thing.

Howard Hughes
17th Sep 2009, 06:40
Don't be so quick, he needs to be found guilty first!

"I was merely pointing out the 'Southern Cross' to my girlfriend, when an aircraft crossed the beam your Honour"...;)

Pinky the pilot
17th Sep 2009, 07:28
Don't be so quick, he needs to be found guilty first!

Quite correct. Give him a fair trial first. Then hang him!:E

Seriously; I should think that if convicted, no ASIC!

VH-XXX
17th Sep 2009, 08:12
The RAA will still take him :ok:

Mr. Hat
17th Sep 2009, 10:11
Gone - cheerio.

C180FOXTROT
17th Sep 2009, 21:56
Sadly, I broke the PPRuNe site rules and won't be back in this thread.

:{

Torquatus
17th Sep 2009, 22:19
Sorry, I should have said he has allegedly commited an aviation related offence, and may be an inappropriate person to hold an ASIC. :\

poss
17th Sep 2009, 22:32
If he is indeed guilty it makes you wonder what the hell was going on in his mind although the obvious answer is probably "not a lot"... For it to be a student pilot as well thats just absolute madness, would he enjoy having someone shine something into his cockpit on approach making him unable to see... idiot. :ugh:

Dot Product
18th Sep 2009, 03:07
If deliberately targeting a plane with the laser then certainly, he deserves what he gets. Consider though that pointing a laser at the sky in and of itself is not a crime. Many astronomers have telescopes equipped with green laser pointers as they allow for easy alignment, it could merely have been a 'mid-air' accident.

tmpffisch
18th Sep 2009, 03:44
Don't y'all remember the story in the papers only a month ago about the large number of convicted criminals with MSIC's? I wouldn't be too surprised if this fella still got granted an ASIC. :ugh:

Security shambles at ports revealed (http://www.theage.com.au/national/investigations/security-shambles-at-ports-revealed-20090908-fg0q.html)

Jabawocky
18th Sep 2009, 07:52
The RAA will still take him http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

I think what XXX might have been elluding to is that you do not need a ASIC to fly anything, and you do not need one to instruct either with the RAA, so there is still some career path for the moron!

But if you do require an ASIC for your desired activities, he should find it a little harder to get by :=

Pilotette
18th Sep 2009, 08:29
Yeah Jaba I thought all those RAA guys/gals seemed a bit dodgy ;)

...Ducking for cover!

Jabawocky
18th Sep 2009, 13:02
ohhhhhh dear............. Pilotette you are a poo strirrer!:}

Just for that, if you are in moree tomorrow for the big party I will buy you a beer!:ok:

Anyone else going for the 60th ?

sms777
18th Sep 2009, 13:33
Do you know what i really hate?...... The word " allegedly"!
Hang the motherf&cker!

Pilotette
18th Sep 2009, 13:42
Damn, not going to Moree so will have to accept the beer another time :ok:

Torquatus
19th Sep 2009, 12:31
Jabawocky, I don't mean to be a picky :mad: but I was under the impression that you do actually need to hold either an ASIC or an AVID to "exercise the priviledges" of your pilot's licence, at least for VH- reg stuff. Not sure about RAA.

Jabawocky
20th Sep 2009, 09:37
If you want to exercise your privileges into a secured aerodrome you do. Otherwise I think you do not..... or did not ....but the way sh!t changes how would you know! :uhoh:

psycho joe
20th Sep 2009, 10:05
He's commited an aviation related offence, and he's demonstrably an inappropriate person to hold an ASIC. I'd say he can kiss his aviation career goodbye.

Unless pointing a laser is classified as politically motivated violence then I'd put money on this guy being able to hold an asic card / airline job. :(

Unfortunately, I've met asic card carrying airline pilots that have been convicted of worse.

tmpffisch
24th Sep 2009, 23:11
Strength of the ASIC
'Cocaine gang' had airport security clearance (http://www.theage.com.au/national/investigations/cocaine-gang-had-airport-security-clearance-20090924-g4p7.html)

Three of the men arrested had been granted Aviation Security Identification Cards by the federal Transport Department, allowing them to freely access sensitive areas of the airport and bypass customs checks. Of those, two of the men had previous criminal convictions and at least one was the subject of significant police criminal intelligence.

Stikybeke
28th Sep 2009, 05:01
Well.......

If what I read in the papers, Rotorheads and Bladeslapper are true........

Apparently in NSW you can break into a hangar, steal a helicopter, hide it, fly it without rego or maint. release, hand yourself into the cops...go to court, plead guilty, get sentenced to 2yrs periodic imprisonment and still keep your ASIC, your CPL (H) and (if the rumours are correct) even get your Instructor (H) rating......

The guy with the Laser is laughing.......

Just what is it that the CASA does? They certainly don't appear to be the adminstrators / enforcers of the regulations with regards to the above mentioned history making event for this country as far as aviation security is concerned, that's for sure....

:ugh:

Ando1Bar
1st Oct 2009, 20:47
Two days since the sentencing and no comments on pprune?

$800 fine and no conviction...

Torquatus
1st Oct 2009, 23:51
:sad:

My immediate thought was that $800 is just a slap on the wrist, but I suppose you'd have to run a red light while talking on the mobile and not wearing your seatbelt to surpass that fine (but for doing those three together you'd probably end up with a suspended driver licence as well).

One certainly hopes that the lad has learned his lesson. Very little deterrent to others, though, particularly since I heard about the sentence on PPRuNe :(