PDA

View Full Version : Should the West support the Northern Alliance?

rosscoe_pk
23rd Oct 2001, 16:45
Washington is counting on the help of the opposition Northern Alliance to overthrow the Taleban.

Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld says the US will strengthen opposition forces in Afghanistan 'so they will have better opportunities to prevail'.

The Alliance is an ethnically and religiously disparate group united only by a desire to topple the ruling Taleban.

But humanitarian groups are concerned about the human rights record of some of the group's members.

They say that troops routinely indulge in looting, raping, and killing in their attempts to capture the whole of Afghanistan.

Are the Northern Alliance suitable allies in the war against terrorism? Or is the West storing up future trouble in the region?

We've got a Poll on this at http://www.servicepals.com/forums/showthread.php?threa did=38 (http://www.servicepals.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=38) but would welcome your views here too.

[ 23 October 2001: Message edited by: rosscoe_pk ]

Tonkenna
23rd Oct 2001, 20:25
This wouldn't be just an advert for your site per chance?

Sorry, I am rather too cynical today. Its an interesting question, how is your poll going?

Tonks

Kiting for Boys
23rd Oct 2001, 20:49
One vote cast. 100% 'No' 0% yes at present

rosscoe_pk
24th Oct 2001, 00:06
Hiya,

I'm sure you looked at the poll - it is, statistically, rather shallow!!

It wasn't just a blatant advert - I would try to be more subtle if I was doing that!! It would just be interesting to know how the two groups feel on the same point - most members of the forums at ServicePals.com are ex-military (although the ex-military search is also open to those currently serving in the military) - the majority are ex-RAF - and I expect the view might be rather different from those here who.

Although nobody here has responded either, so maybe it's not that different - was just trying to start a bit of discussion.

Kiting for Boys - thanks for pointing that out. If you had taken a look, it's a shame that you didn't cast a vote.

The site is getting more and more traffic and increasing attention from the Press (eg. http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2001330858,00.html). No Sun-bashing please!! ;) Anyway, just trying to offer servicemen an annonymous voice in the same way that pprune does for aircrew.

Enough of that though - I personally can't see any reason for supporting the Northern Alliance beyond the short-term goals. I have yet to to hear of a sensible reason for backing the northern alliance, and just thought you guys might be able to point out what I'm missing here??

[ 23 October 2001: Message edited by: rosscoe_pk ]

Jackonicko
24th Oct 2001, 04:24
I'd prefer to use the Northern Alliance as cannon fodder than our own blokes, and then sort out the problems afterwards.

West Coast
24th Oct 2001, 09:59
Jacko
For once we are 100% in agreement. Are you still talking(typing) to me after I called you a liberal on a differant thread? Must have hit you at a visceral level as you replied mighty fast and in no uncertain terms!

Jackonicko
24th Oct 2001, 11:50
Westy!

Of course I'm speaking to you. I love you like a brother!

Re: Liberals. I'm not one, but do admire them for their emotional integrity and lack of cynicism and selfishness. I even wonder whether the world wouldn't be a better place if we weren't all (me included!) a little more liberal in our attitudes. And that's why I really object to the term being used as an insult.

EESDL
24th Oct 2001, 23:07
Christ, and I thought that the Northern Alliance was a Rotherham building society.

Kiting for Boys
25th Oct 2001, 01:54
Jackonicko
Why not repost your first intemperate remarks about Palestine now?