PDA

View Full Version : float plane rating

clear prop!!!
16th Sep 2009, 21:45
For fun, I'm thinking of doing a float rating.

any suggestions as to a good school in the USA?

Still have an FAA PPL but also a current ATPL here in the UK.

As this for me is a recreational rating, can I assume that M1 Visas do not apply?

Thanks

CP

BackPacker
16th Sep 2009, 22:12
As this for me is a recreational rating, can I assume that M1 Visas do not apply?

My PPL was a recreational rating and I still needed to get an M-1. So, no, you can't.

The criteria for needing an M-1 visa is whether your primary purpose of visiting the USA is training/study or not. Recreation or professional has nothing to do with it.

A floatplane rating doesn't need TSA clearance though, since it doesn't significantly enhance your ability to fly an airliner into a building.

Do you want to add the rating to your FAA PPL or to your JAA ATPL? I hear a lot of good stories from people who went to Como lake in Italy to get their floatplane rating added to their JAA license. And I don't think any of the JAA schools in the USA do floatplane ratings. OTOH, if you want to add it to your FAA PPL, plenty of choice.

Pilot DAR
17th Sep 2009, 02:48
Consider Canada. I recommend Lake Country Airways: floatplane training, endorsements, float charters and rentals (http://www.lakecountryairways.ca/), it's an excellent flying environment - very relaxed, and no waiting. if you come in the next weeks, the fall colours are spectacular.

I don't know how an FAA or UK license would get endorsed with the float rating, but it won't matter a lot, as you would not likely be flying solo anyway - insurance.

If you need more information about flying in this area, you may PM me.

Pilot DAR

fisbangwollop
17th Sep 2009, 06:47
PH-UKU who is a regular on these forums may be able to shed some light on the subject..:cool::cool:

S-Works
17th Sep 2009, 08:07
I would recommend Jack Browns Sea Plane Base in Florida, first class Instruction, well maintained fleet of Cub float planes and reasonable price. They are on the edge of Winterhaven Airfield and you could get some land plane time at Tailwheels.

Once you have the rating on your FAA ticket then to add it to the JAA ticket, you need to take the Seamanship Exam and send a copy of your FAA ticket and logbook to the CAA who will add the rating for the usual fee. No flight test or flight training required in the UK to do this. You can take the private Seamanship Exam at Ontrack Aviation at Wellesbourne with Alan Newton or the Professional Exam at Gatwick. Alan does a terrific one day theory course prior to sitting the exam and covers everything you need for private and pro. I did the private exam as a tester for going to Gatwick without problem.

To renew the rating you do it as part of the SEP renewal as long as you meet the SEP (Sea) requirements as well. All in LASORS. I renew mine by flying in Florida and revalidating by experience.

PM me for furher details.

youngskywalker
17th Sep 2009, 08:47
I second Jack browns, great fun experience, nice people. The floatplane purists will probably disagree and recommend Canada but to be honest for most people it will be a useless rating anyway, and purely done while on vacation for the fun of it.

englishal
17th Sep 2009, 09:37
Thanks for the tip Bose ;)

I did mine in, Michigan. Traverse City Michigan Air Plane Flight Training - Traverse Air Inc. Aviation Traverse City, Michigan (http://Www.traverseair.com)

Edited to say - it was the most fun flying I have had for years!

Oh and no M1 is required for the FP rating if you are doing it as part of a holiday and already hold FAA Certificate.

Bryn the Sheepdog
17th Sep 2009, 19:42
Why are you going to the USA when you can do it in Scotland? Look up G-DRAM on t'internet, sorry I'm in a hurry or I would post the link for you.

fisbangwollop
17th Sep 2009, 20:08
Scotia Seaplanes - Scotland on Floats (http://www.scotlandonfloats.com/)

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

mary meagher
17th Sep 2009, 21:37
I got my water wings in Jack Brown's a few years back, that was a lot of fun, and if your family is involved, they'll enjoy the rest of Florida....

The course I was on had me, with 1,200 hours mostly in a Supercub, and a couple of airline pilots; that definitely gave me the advantage in a J3 on floats... but it takes nerve to taxi on the step!

Starting the engine is kind of special, too. Just step out on the float, and pull the prop through from behind; takes a bit of agility to climb back into the cockpit before the little darling goes her own way.

Also, when I first got there, I thought his lake was too small. But no worries, you just taxi like mad around the lake until you achieve takeoff....

Neat item; any lake in Florida that is not specifically verboten is your own little landing lake. Just anything else on or in the water has the right of way. And then there are those glassy waterlandings.....

Jack Brown will sign off your rating when the course is passed to his satisfaction, but he won't let you fly his precious J3 solo. The ticket only entitles you to buy your own......

Have fun!

S-Works
17th Sep 2009, 22:59
Jack Brown will sign off your rating when the course is passed to his satisfaction, but he won't let you fly his precious J3 solo. The ticket only entitles you to buy your own......

At the risk of pedantry...... Jack has been dead for a log time. John or Chuck will sign you off when you are ready to meet their exacting standards. Flying solo depends on who you are and the impression that you have made over the years......

Aerial Chauffeur
18th Sep 2009, 02:22
I renew mine by flying in Florida and revalidating by experience.

You've have your FAA ASES for HOW LONG?

Discuss.

S-Works
18th Sep 2009, 06:29
Quote:
I renew mine by flying in Florida and revalidating by experience.
You've have your FAA ASES for HOW LONG?

Discuss.

January 16th this year. Been back twice since and flown the hours to maintain a rolling currency. Renewed my SEP rating and thus revalidated my SEP(Sea) at the same time by experience to bring them into sync.

Your point? Ah yes, as usual you don't have one, just want to pick a childish flight.

englishal
18th Sep 2009, 09:01
At the risk of being even more pedantic - it is not a sign off but you must take a flight test with an FAA DPE or inspector and pass - Those training you cannot also conduct the flight test.

The flight test includes:

Normal, rough, glassy take offs and landings
Idle, step and plough taxi
Emergency procedures (Engine failures are fun in a seaplane !)
Stalls, steep turns, etc...(the weight of the floats adds a new dimension).

It was great fun, in Michigan you can land on any lake where it is not specifically prohibited and there are hundreds. We spend 2 days flying around at 500', though occasionally got up to the dizzy heights of 1300' for the transit between lakes. I think I did about 46 landings & takeoffs in 2 days and I'd highly recommend anyone doing the course.

Vedeneyev
20th Sep 2009, 12:12
Why Florida with its swampy landscape and bureaucratic visa issues? My vote is for Air-Hart Aviation (http://www.air-hart.com/) on Lake Okanagan, in the absolutely stunning landscape of the British Columbian Rockies.

What I liked about this place was the ease of getting the Canadian endorsement of my UK PPL (10min over the counter job like it used to be in the US), but mainly that after you'd done your 5hr rating you could rent the aircraft solo. Most places won't let you rent float aircraft on your own for insurance reasons.... Picnincing in the mountain wilderness with just the a/c and the mrs was superb...

fernytickles
20th Sep 2009, 13:48
Have you tried looking here - Home - The Seaplane Pilots Association (http://www.seaplanes.org/) at all the listings? I know of 3 - Manitowoc, WI, one in MInnesota and another in California, all are good, and all have an abundance of beautiful scenery.

I did mine with Caledonian Seaplanes about 12 years ago on Loch Earn, and assorted other lochs. It was at this time of the year, fabulous weather and just a fantastically fun weekend of flying.

BigAl's
20th Sep 2009, 19:16
Just a note of caution re Caladonian Seaplanes... I have just returned from Loch Earn having completed my rating with Neil Gregory at the appropriately named 'Neil's Seaplanes'. Caladonian Seaplanes have by all accounts not had an aircraft on the water for the last 2 years, although their website is still up and running. Beware! I encountered disapointed punters during my stay who turned up having parted with cash up front :=only to find no trace of the owner or aircraft. :*

For anyone going to Scotalnd, Neil is first class, not to mention Amanda and Robert at the Lochearnhead hotel who will spoil you wrotten! The most fun flying I have ever had. Do it! :)

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Sep 2009, 20:38
What I liked about this place was the ease of getting the Canadian endorsement of my UK PPL (10min over the counter job like it used to be in the US)
... and they will do so happily ignoring the "non-JAA-compliant" stamp on your medical ...

grow45
20th Sep 2009, 20:50
Re Caledonian Seaplanes G INFO gives CofA expiry dates for both their aircraft, G BWUB and G OCLC, as the middle of last year.

g45

fernytickles
21st Sep 2009, 02:08
BigAl's

I think it was Neil Gregory who I flew with, back when he was flying for George C? In G-BWUB, that I know for sure.

If it is the same Neil, and if you are in touch with him again, please thank him for introducing me to his version of the Thermette (Thermette - Why is Copper Important? (http://www.thermette.com/thermette_whycopper.htm)) We now have our own, and use it on all our camping trips :ok:

I still tell people about how we would brief, fly, beach the plane on the lochshore, he would fill the little thermette up with loch water, make a cup of tea, produce some biscuits/shortbread, debrief, rebrief and off we went again. It was the most fun type rating I have ever done :)

BigAl's
21st Sep 2009, 08:11
Hi Fernytickles,

that's the chap!... must have been a while ago. I can also second the kelly kettle experience! :) Absolutley fantastic! Neil's running a husky (G-WATR) on Amphib floats now from the other end of the loch. A superb machine!

www.neils-seaplanes.co.uk (http://www.neils-seaplanes.co.uk)

I think Caladonain was sold to someone and it's all gone the shape of the pear now.

BigAl's

10W
21st Sep 2009, 10:56
It's a low res version of the video at the moment, but this gives you some idea of what Scotland on Floats offers :ok:

YouTube - GDRAM - around Scotland by seaplane (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_QTappl5fE)

Having done my first lesson, I'm hooked !!

Tinstaafl
22nd Sep 2009, 01:56
When I moved to the US I needed to resurrect my FAA ATP that had been gathering dust. It was MEL only at the time but I figured at some point while living & working here I'd need or want to use a single. I'd always wanted to do a seaplane rating so I did a combined ATP-SEL & SES in a C180 amphib at Flagler County Airport in Florida. Close enough to home to drive there each day so convenient too.

Never having done a US PPL or CPL, damned if I wanted to have to muck around with chandelles, turns around a point & pylon 8's and the like from the PTS for those licences. An ATP test is really just an IR test and I've lost count of how many of those I've done over the years. Add the floaty alightings part to the terra firma landings and we met the PTS for both SEL & SES.

The bloke got a dispensation from the FSDO to do my checkride even though he did my training. It probably helped that it wasn't an initial issue ATP.

mary meagher
22nd Sep 2009, 08:44
Quite right. Jack Brown himself has been flying on a higher plane since l975!

His son Jon Brown currently owns and operates the base, keeping his Daddy's name alive.

It must have been Jon who saw me through the course, and also dispatched a water moccasin that was lingering near the launchpoint. That was NOT a shoe.

Michelle's phone number is 863 956 2243, if you fancy trying a glassy water landing or two.

irish seaplane
22nd Sep 2009, 10:03
dispatched a water moccasin that was lingering near the launchpoint

That aul carry on just sends shivers down my spine. I live/eat/sleep to float fly, but not if Florida was free would I share the water flying environment with one of them snakes... Jon Brown can come over here to me if he wants but wont be the other way round.

Wouldn't get too caught up in the politics around Loch Earn. Always been like that and it spoils the whole thing in my mind. No politics around Lough Erne and "The Amphib Flying Club" can even put your other half in the back seat which surely makes the rating an easy sell at home.

Look out for Pilot Magazine covering how it should be done - shortly!

Irish