PDA

View Full Version : PPL Self Fly Hire in The U.S.

DADDY-OH!
16th Sep 2009, 21:42
Hi all,
I've got a 6 day layover in Florida & fancied hiring a C172 to go down the Keys. I'm a JAA ATPL holder & 10,000+ hours experience & I'm a 767 Captain. I held an FAA PPL with Multi but haven't done a biennial flight review for over 15 years.

My question is 2-fold:

1) What paperwork will I need to get before I come to the US & how easy will it be to renew or get a fresh FAA licence?

2) Can anyone recommend somewhere I could hire a good IFR equipped C172 & how much it will be, I'm looking at the Orlando-Sanford area.

Cheers

:ok:

S-Works
17th Sep 2009, 08:43
Tailwheels etc at Winterhaven. They have a few nice 172's. They will do a BFR as part of the rental check.

Charlie Zulu
17th Sep 2009, 10:33
As you've got an FAA PPL/Multi (and I assume ASEL) and I'll also assume it is a stand alone certificate (not based on any CAA/JAA licence that you may have had 15 years ago) then all you need to do is a BFR to get you up and running again, you know the usual 1 hour dual and 1 hour ground school (mandatory minimums set by the FAA).

Sun State Aviation based at Kissimmee have new(ish) IFR equipped C172's both with steam gauges and the new fancy G1000's. Okay I know its south of Orlando but its only around a forty minute car journey from the Sanford area. Although I'm sure I've seen a school at Orlando Executive with C172's which is closer to Sanford...

A link to the school's rental page with their current rates etc:

Aircraft Rental - Aircraft Hire In Florida (http://www.sunstateaviation.com/acrental.html)

Have a nice time wherever you decide to rent from!

dont overfil
17th Sep 2009, 11:24
I can recommend Air Orlando at Executive. C172s and more, conventional and glass.
Very professional outfit. On line booking.
You will eventually have to update to a plastic licence but this can be done on line if you have a standalone certificate.
www.flyairorlando.com (http://www.flyairorlando.com)
DO.