PDA

View Full Version : Damn big CH-47.............

Fool on the Hill
22nd Oct 2001, 21:17
The Taliban today showed footage of an undercarriage which they claim to have come from an American helicopter they shot down. It is a double bogey strut with what appears to be Boeing markings on it. There are some other wheels in the footage but no wreckage of any kind.
Firstly, as it is double bogey I make that to be a CH47 or CH53 but in the footage the wheel comes up to some guys hip. I make that to be about 3FEET in diameter. I havent seen either of these machines up close butthat seems very large for a Heli. Is it possible that it is of a C130 or other fixed wing aircraft. If it is of a heli or aircraft then where is the rest of it. The Oleo strut and wheel are also in very good nick for something that was battle damaged or shot of. Your thoughts or comments please.
P.S one wheel, not the above mentioned appeared to have a D ring tie down point in the centre of it.
:confused:

Mike Cusack
22nd Oct 2001, 22:05
Could it be that all Taleban are only 3ft high and live under bridges?

Tigs
23rd Oct 2001, 01:35
The clip on news at ten tonight showed a parts number plate that said CH 47, amongst the other bits on display.

Fool on the Hill
23rd Oct 2001, 01:46
Latest pictures also show a cargo hook and claim the rest of the aircraft was removed from the scene. With the Americans claiming they havent lost a heli could it be British or maybe old parts of one of the 68 Ch47Cs that Iran once owned? :confused:

Tonkenna
23rd Oct 2001, 20:46
Just heard on the news that the US say that a Chinook hit "an obstacle" and lost part of it u/c?

Tonks

Fool on the Hill
24th Oct 2001, 23:01
Id say that made for an interesting landing back at base. Thanks Tonk :)