PDA

View Full Version : Minimum requirements for a Lance/Saratoga

Bounceferret
16th Sep 2009, 14:38
G'day

Wondering generally what the minimum experience requirement would be to get checked out in a lance/saratoga.
I understand this varies considerably from AD to AD and depends on the insurance companies but am just after a ballpark answer

I'm Relatively new to the aviation world NVFR 120TT 35 CSU

Thanks

aseanaero
16th Sep 2009, 15:04
A lot of it will get back to insurance and owner requirements now for hiring the aircraft to you.

I was let loose on a C210 with 107hrs TT 13 hrs CSU which I flew from Parafield to Olympic Dam , Tennant Creek and other remote locations with low total time. It was owned by the flying school I trained with from scratch (Rossair) and they were comfortable with me being endorsed on the aircraft and taking it on long cross country trips. Flying a C210 after the 172 and 172RG put a BIG smile on my face.

I guess current wisdom would say 250 hrs ?

-

goldypilot
16th Sep 2009, 21:28
yer its not space shuttle so a fresh cpl should do the trick. The old lanceliner is a beast. why would you want to fly one of them??

*Lancer*
16th Sep 2009, 23:24
Try ringing up an operator... I remember getting checked out as soon as I got my PPL (60 hours or so). What's the point spending all your time going cross country at 110kts when you can do it at 150kts? -- with an extra 2 seats! :) Makes for a much more practical way of getting cross country time.

Sunfish
16th Sep 2009, 23:26
Did the Lance endorsement around 100 hours PIC and did one flight review in it as well.

CitationJet
17th Sep 2009, 01:46
Here are some indicative requirements for BE-36 and PA-32.

Single Engine Aircraft for hire - Howe Aircraft (http://www.bluedemon.com.au/singles.htm)

Bounceferret
17th Sep 2009, 01:53
Thanks guys

Sounds like somewhere from where I am up to and around CPL. I'll ring Moorabbin and see what they have to say.
I want to jump in the old lance as it's a bit quicker but mostly the 2 extra seats and useable load.

It seems a bit of a struggle with 430kgs in the Arrow at the moment. Myself and full fuel leaves 147kgs for bags and beer.

Atlas Shrugged
17th Sep 2009, 05:26
Did the Lance endorsement

What the fark's a "Lance Endorsement" ?

It's just a single <5700kg with retract & CSU. :ugh::ugh:

Bounceferret
17th Sep 2009, 05:48
I'm pretty sure he meant he was "checked out" in the Lance

unless he actually did his csu/retract endo in it which certainly would be a little different... but cool! :hmm:

mic310
17th Sep 2009, 11:24
I think we all know what he means!

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th Sep 2009, 11:31
VH-@@@ Cherokee Six -300
Specs
Six/seven seats..Forward facing
New leather interior
Rosen sun visors
Appollo GX65 gps
Barret HF
Max cruise speed 174 kts ************
Basic weight 938 kg
MTOW weight 1542 kg

Now that I WOULD like to see!

Dr :8

SM227
17th Sep 2009, 11:59
Am I seeing those prices on that website correctly? $440.00hr for a Navajo :eek:

Di_Vosh
17th Sep 2009, 12:51
$440.00hr for a Navajo

DRY Hire!

Hope that helps,

DIVOSH!

Bounceferret
17th Sep 2009, 12:59
now now mic310 play nice :)

mostlytossas
17th Sep 2009, 13:20
Just a quick point on "Insurance requirements". There is no such thing.
As long as you have the appropriate licence, have a current medical and BFR an insurance company cannot stipulate who they will or not cover as pilot in command. Just the same as a hire car company or private car use if that is the category the vehicle/aircraft is insured for.
Many flying schools, operators will tell you that because they seem too afraid to tell you it is THEIR requirement (which they are entitled to do ofcourse),so they tell clients it is the insurance company.
It is not. Don't let them con you, let them stand up by their decision.

*Lancer*
17th Sep 2009, 13:52
mostlytossas, is that correct??

Car hire companies almost always specify a minimum age requirement (and a cost penalty if you're in the 'young' window), regardless of what kind of licence you have. Same goes for comprehensive insurance and green slips... Can't see why an aviation insurer would be any different.

UnderneathTheRadar
17th Sep 2009, 13:57
Ummm - Mostlytossas - novel concept but way off the mark.

Insurance companies can and most certainly do restrict who flys aircraft they insure. Most private aircraft have named pilots only. Even if flying schools and/or other hire organisations have blanket policies covering any pilot, premiums and excesses will vary depending on who is doing the flying (or crashing as appropriate) - insuring anyone will attract a much higher premium and so operators need to make commerical decisions about minimums and sign-offs - so yes, it is their requirement - but only so that the aircraft is actually insured for the flight being undertaken.

UTR.

mostlytossas
17th Sep 2009, 22:11
Please tell me the Insurance Company that does this as in my professional capacity would love to have a chat with them. Do not however get confused with the category the insurance is for. eg Agricultural, Training, charter, private etc as these premiums and cover do vary widely.
What I am talking about is a flying school that has aircraft for fly and hire then declare that for "insurance reasons" they need to check you out every 30days if you haven't flown with them within that time,or every time you change aircraft etc. They are simply ripping more money out of each client so tell them to go take a jump.
If they want to do this let them say it is their policy not hide behind the Insurance myth.
I'm off to work now,more later perhaps.

Tinstaafl
18th Sep 2009, 22:42
It's been years since I last had anything to do with aircraft in Oz and can't recall the insurance details. However, if they're anything like here in the US you can certainly negotiate different premiums depending on what restrictions are specified. Restrictions often include minimum experience on type &/or total, recency of flight reviews, instrument proficiency checks and other recurrency training. There can be difference between named pilot requirements and other pilot requirements. Type of operation makes a difference to premiums too, of course.

MakeItHappenCaptain
20th Sep 2009, 14:31
What's the point spending all your time going cross country at 110kts when you can do it at 150kts?

Because when you are building hours for a license, it may cost the same to go X miles in a faster, but more expensive aircraft, however the hours (not the miles) are what you need.

MT- try sticking a 100 hr PPL (with required endorsements) in a Baron and see how many insurance companies will cover it without additional premiums or notification. 99% of owners will specify experience requirements for hired aircraft to keep their premiums down.

Dr- Yeah 174 KTS VNE maybe

scrambler
11th Oct 2009, 10:18
I agree with calling around.
Did my check in the Lance at just over 100hrs, no problems at all. I had alot less than 35 CSU at the time.