PDA

View Full Version : Broadband access

StopStart
19th Nov 2001, 21:53
Not strictly a military aviation topic (in fact, not even nearly one) however....

Are there any RAF stations that have any form of broadband access (NTL, BT etc ) available within either the married patches or domestic sites?

As a sad, lonely internet tosser I'm stuck with BT dial-up here at sunny Lyneham (deepest, darkest Wiltshire.....); I spoke to BT and they said exchange upgrades are being done on demand now i.e. if enough people from an area register an interest in the service then they will upgrade the exchange. Have BT upgraded the exchanges near any other "remote" RAF bases anywhere?

PS. Could everyone at Lyneham please go and register their "interest" in broadband, then they might upgrade our exchange and I won't have to wait quite so long for my daily skinfest to download.....oops :eek:

TimC
19th Nov 2001, 23:50
Well there's absolutely no chance where I live, but then again Finningley and Scampton have been closed for years :( :eek: .

I have ISDN at the moment and pay through the nose for it. The bastards at BT even sent me a nice letter [by mistake] telling me how much I will be now be saving coz they have reduced the line rental on Home Highway and that those who were stupid enough to get ISDN will be paying the same extortionate amount . :mad: :eek: :rolleyes: :(

Stan Bydike
20th Nov 2001, 00:24
I am a tad confused!! I thought Home Highway was the same as ISDN.

My Home Highway gives a 64k connection, can be doubled up to 128 but then have no analogue voice available and costs £40 per month including £13 of free!! calls. I haven't received any notification of price drops perhaps you could pass it on.

:confused:

TimC
20th Nov 2001, 02:07
ISDN gives you 2 64k channels, while Home Highway gives you the 2 64k channels and 2 analogue channels. I pay £30 per month line rental with no calls included, can't remember much about prices, but the equivalent HH package would be cheaper for me.

As an aside, I have a copy of a customer complaint to NTL which is very very funny if anyone wants me to mail it to them?

BEagle
20th Nov 2001, 02:30
I understand that the out station Internet access in the beloved Islas Malvinas is being updated from a piece of wet string to some rusty Don 10 attached to decaying Strouger clockwork exchanges and can now connect at 10 bytes per week........