PDA

View Full Version : Accommodation up north & west

Okavango
16th Sep 2009, 08:46
Whats the situation for accommodation in GA up in the north and west? Pay obviously won't cover the rents so how do you plan for it - just save a wedge before you go or do many operators have basic digs you can use?

arnellis
16th Sep 2009, 09:48
Hey mate, the last time I looked on a notice board in Broome the rents in share housing ranged from $140 + utilities to $250+ all inc. If you want a house to yourself, well $700+ a week is not unusual up in the NW.
Most guys just work a second job for the extra coin, others just have lots of coin to start with. But it all works out! Remember to make sure you have enough for some beer! :ok:

the air up there
16th Sep 2009, 12:28
Remember to make sure you have enough for some beer! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

mmmm beer. At the end of the day its the only thing that keeps us sane whilst we ponder what made us decide it was a good idea to leave the bright lights.:}:} I think I'm cracking up right now.

soseg
17th Sep 2009, 08:13
this is the thing that bothers me the most about going up north... the accomodation costs are ridiculous from what I've heard... and with the low wages I want to know what to expect / how others cope etc

example... what do most operators tend to pay starting pilots out there? minimum wage or is there a chance you'd get more? forking out 150+ a week for even a hostel I've heard... does not seem to leave you with many savings... thats 600 a month gone just for basic living expenses.... money I could put into something else........:bored:

the air up there
17th Sep 2009, 09:34
soseg, it's sacrifice for long term gain for those guys.

Fortunately for me, I have generous bosses, it's cheaper than living at home and paying board.

What are the rents like in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane for a semi nice newish unit in a nice area at the moment????

okavango, i can't comment much on the things in WA as I haven't spent a great deal of time there, but in the territory the wage is enough to live on. Unfortunately the newbies wage in GA has never been great so don't go buying that flash new car, jet ski, boat or house when you get your first job. In a lot of cases, even the second job won't be a gold mine. However, when you are a few rungs off the bottom, even in GA some reasonable coin is there to be earnt.

Anyone care to share what a metro driver would get on the east coast???

tmpffisch
17th Sep 2009, 09:46
I've been looking at making the move to Broome however am also considering Kunu's (or wherever an operator will employ me...). Seems to me rent in a share house is about the same price as a share in a city appartment in Melb. Doesn't bother me too much, I'm looking forward to it. When there's a will, theres a way.

tinpis
17th Sep 2009, 10:14
Rent has always been dear in Darwhine
You dont want ANYBODY moving in next door do you?

the air up there
17th Sep 2009, 10:16
Another way to look at it is, tourist pay big $$$$ to visit these places for a couple of days. You will get to live there and really see places that tourists don't. Do it while you are young, I know a couple of guys that go back on holidays to the places that they got their first jobs in, for no other reason than they enjoyed their time there with the people.

the air up there
17th Sep 2009, 10:19
tinpis, that person could be me moving in. Love the quiet life, no strippers, hookers or other wild parties. Unless you want something like that, and I'll arrange for the next time I'm in town:}

gettin' there
18th Sep 2009, 23:25
Mate ive ben in your position and i chose to stay in the city and do an instructor rating and regretted it. After 6 months of only flying when the weather was near perfect around and around the training area i decided to harden the :mad: up, save some coin, kiss the MRs goodbye and head north.

I was a little lucky in that i had more than min hours and so picked up a job reasonably easily but havn't looked back. Im only flying single engine VFR but the type flying you do up north, especially over the wet (can't wait), is IMHO much more challenging and rewarding that you would get if you stayed in the city as a newbie. Yes, its hot, yes you might find it hard to get a job, yes some pax smell quite badly (and the ones that dont usually throw up), yes you may have to work two jobs (or live on 2min noodles so you can afford beer), yes you will have to leave the comfort of home, yes at times is sux, but i reckon you're missing out BIG TIME if you dont do it.

Do youself (and your potential students) a favour and dont just instruct because you'll get to stay at home. Go north, get out in the real world for a bit 1st, then if you "want" to instruct go and do it in a year or 2.

You sound a lot like me. I was s#$t scared about leaving everything and everyone i know and just heading up with no idea what was going to happen but it turned out ok. Sometimes you just gotta walk up to the cliff and throw yourself off and see where you land. And look at it this way. If you head up and hate it or can't find work, move back home. What would you have lost?

Just my 2c.

socks and thongs
19th Sep 2009, 00:24
Many operators in FFNQ (not cns) and Torres Strait will give you somewhere to live, in several companies it'll come out of your pay so you won't miss it. Weekly budget consists of:

$30 worth of of bread
$30 worth of mixed 2 min noodles
$30 worth of eggs and milk
$50 worth of pasta and mince
One pub meal + schooner ($25).

The rest naturally goes on beer and songs on the jukebox (if you can get one in between bob marley and 50 cent).

Don't even think about saving anything, if you want to try, refer above budget and remove pub outing, beer, eggs and milk and probably bread too.

Get up there

solowflyer
19th Sep 2009, 00:54
Hit the road dude, what is the worst thing that could happen? Think you will find nearly everyone who has gone north has been in your shoes, eg no job lined up and don't know what to expect.

One thing is for sure is if you don't go it is highly unlikley you will get that first big job from a cv in the mail. One thing in your favour is you don't have to drag a car full of kids and a Mrs about, so do it now befor its too late.

As to money, it comes in time (paitentence grass hopper) so the quicker you get going the quicker the coin will start building up. If you are not able to land a flying job right off there are plenty of other jobs up north that pay well i know of one bloke who went north for his first job ended up driving a grader and had enougth coin saved up in a year to put a sizeable deposit on a house.

If you don't know now if you want to instruct or not, then do yourself and future students a favour and don't, there already too many bitter and twisted instructors around just look at half of the posts on pprune.

The Green Goblin
19th Sep 2009, 01:14
Expect to earn a tad over $500 a week after tax on single award.

Half is rent the rest is food and booze.

In most pilot houses there is a bloke in each room and the resident couch warmer trying to get a job (or waiting for one of you to leave a room so he can take up a more permanent residence)

Don't even think that you will study when you get there, cause life revolves around booze and trying to get sleep between 4am starts and working six days a week.

Yeah you never have any money but everyone is in the same boat, just don't be a tight arse, share the beer!

Don't think about it, pack up hit the road and don't look back. Some of my best memories were the drives and overnight stops with the truckies and the random pissups along the way.

tinpis
19th Sep 2009, 01:15
Love the quiet life, no strippers, hookers or other wild parties.

Why come to darwhine?
Try Tassy.

the air up there
19th Sep 2009, 01:23
Sorry tinpis, poor effort at sarcasm on my part.

But for every newby reading this thread take in what has been said, pack up and leave the big smoke. Just about everyone on here has done it and has loved it, they may not love the pay and sometimes work sucks more than a brand new hoover but the lifestyle is awesome. 95% of the pilots are 20 something males that love a beer and a party.

And if your in Darwin of a Tuesday night, don't forget to check out TOT. It's unbelievable.

tmpffisch
19th Sep 2009, 01:53
I think you should hit the road, it's what I'm doing. :ok: Bloody looking forward to it too!

Though, with a couple of years instruction up your belt, you can still of course get into airlines, and it gives you time to stay at home rent free, save a bit of cash or repay some of your debt.

the air up there
19th Sep 2009, 02:13
Though, with a couple of years instruction up your belt, you can still of course get into airlines, and it gives you time to stay at home rent free, save a bit of cash or repay some of your debt.

Nah, forget that. Pay it off or do it when you get to the airlines. Accomodation only needs to keep the rain off in the wet and be airconditioned and a fridge for beer. If it keeps the flies and mozzies out, then your in flash digs.

Any trip that you make with your mates, whether it be to a piss up, dinner or just a night in the big smoke one weekend is an adventure. If its not, then your doing something wrong, or right, I can't work it out.

I've had trips where I've demolished wallabies, much to the horror of the nomads on tourist bus I had just over taken. I've broken down on the side of the road, then picked up by the boss about 1030pm when he realised I was AWOL and me being annoyed cause I had just set my swag up and then had to pack it up again.

But the accomodation, who cares. If you really wanna fly, you will find a way justify anything.

DudeTheOne
19th Sep 2009, 04:03
For guys who stay in Kunu's or Broome, how often do you go back to eastern coast to visit friends or family? I assume it costs a lot of money to drive or fly to Darwin just to catch the connection flight.:8

And most importantly, is there much chance of meeting opposite sex in places like Kunu's? :E

HOMEWORK
19th Sep 2009, 08:33
I assume there is a total lack of quality women up there. What do you boys do in regards to this?

tmpffisch
19th Sep 2009, 08:42
Do you think PPRuNe is the only thing the internet is good for? :ok: (Don't just assume that :ok: is a thumb)

tinpis
19th Sep 2009, 10:41
Ooooer...sorry how embarrass... the silly old git got the wrong thread :\

Chadzat
19th Sep 2009, 11:57
But for every newby reading this thread take in what has been said, pack up and leave the big smoke. Just about everyone on here has done it and has loved it, they may not love the pay and sometimes work sucks more than a brand new hoover but the lifestyle is awesome. 95% of the pilots are 20 something males that love a beer and a party.

What he said!

the air up there
19th Sep 2009, 12:19
The as for the lack of quality women, define quality.:}

The Green Goblin
20th Sep 2009, 00:04
Its always funny watching 20 odd pilots hitting on the one semi decent backpacker.

Some times you're lucky sometimes you're not. Some lower their standards and become myth and folklore during the late night drunk talk. CLEARPROP :}

Darwin is the place to be during the dry if you want to have a bit of fun. It may be the dry season for some, but definitely wet for others :}

HOMEWORK
20th Sep 2009, 01:48
The as for the lack of quality women, define quality

Visually pleasing to the sober eye. No morning after regrets.

I think you should also answer this question, so I know what I could inevitably become :ugh::ugh:

the air up there
20th Sep 2009, 03:19
I hope there are no chicks reading this forum, especially the ones that I know.:}

As said, during the dry season there are enough backpackers to keep everyone happy. And the standard is reasonably high. There are some smoking hot local girls in darwin also, in fact some of the hottest and coolest chicks I know are darwin girls. Extra's are that they love camping, fishing (can throw a cast net, tie nots and bait their own hooks) and don't complain about the mud or dust.

However the same problems that blokes have elsewhere are riff up here. With so many guys to choose from the girls get overly bitchy and picky, so if you pick up on town its probably not going to be a long term thing. But who wants one.:}

A typical night out in darwin consists of a 75/25 ratio of guys to girls. A good night may see it actually drop down to 65/35, but not often. Also a word of warning, if you see a big grey ship in the harbour, get to the bottlo and butchers early, thats the year round indicator that it's time to have a bbq and stay home. Unless you are a cross between Zoolander, the dude from The Transporter and Bruce Lee, you won't stand a chance. Of anything except for maybe the emergency ward at RDH.:}

I can go on for ever about darwins night life. Some stories the guys I work with don't believe until they actually meet the people I used to run with on the town. There were some massive saturday nights that have lasted till the pin was pulled about 8pm sunday. Thank god for RDO monday.:ok:

Any other questions guys????

arnellis
20th Sep 2009, 05:05
Ah quality. as I read somewhere recently Kimberly 10 = Gold Coast 7 and it would not be far off the mark, how many kimberly 10's are there, well thats a whole different ratio! :ok:

Pilotette
21st Sep 2009, 12:12
:} Hahaha you guys seriously crack me up...sorry the air up there, there is at least one reading! Poor HOMEWORK he seems genuinely concerned! Hahaha how many female pilots are there up there and how do they handle the whole 'situation'/how do they get treated? :p

P.S. Back on the topic, soseg: What do you really have to loose? if one choice over the other could leave me with an extra $200 in my pocket a week it would certainly be swaying my decision on what to do next year I can tell you that an instructor rating is going to cost you a lot more than giving it a go out bush! I can't speak for the north, but I moved to central Aus and loved every minute of it. You may be out of your comfort zone but the good times and friends made are well worth it! :ok:

AussieNick
21st Sep 2009, 12:17
Pilotette you and that certian mate of yours (you know who i'm talkin bout) need to get your ****e and head up here ;)

Pilotette
21st Sep 2009, 12:40
Hey AussieNick...Yeah I know! Well its definitely on the cards for me but she's planning on doing her ATPLs next followed by her MECIR. I'll get onto her about it though! :ok:

AussieNick
21st Sep 2009, 12:44
yeah so she was saying, ATPLs scare me lol

the air up there
22nd Sep 2009, 14:40
soseg, everyone says its a fun experience because it is. It's just a different kind of experience to what you have at home with mum and dad and your school mates just up the road. You make new friends, share experiences, learn self reliance and fly in challenging conditions just about every day with variables from weather, aircraft, pax, freight, destinations.

Some people pay big money to see what we see on a daily basis. I for one am so desensitized to it, that when people point out something (like crocs, sharks, schools of fish busting the surface of the ocean, flood plains covered in water so it looks like a large lake) I have to fake enthusiam.

As for the accomodation, for that money you can get a room in a small unit. Which is all you need. As for cleanliness, they are as clean as you and your flatmates keep it.

Anyone reading this thread. If you need convincing about going north, then you probably shouldn't be going up there. Those types of pilots rarely last long enough to find a job, or if they find one struggle from day to day to go to work. I've seen it and worked with it and it makes a terrible experience for the pilot, the collegues, the company and the clients.

If your not sure if you want to be an instructor or do it purely because you want to stay at home with mum and dad, thats not really the right attitude for instructing. Your short changing students.

People with the above attitudes are only in GA waiting for the airlines to call offering that big paying jet job and often are very bitter towards the industry. I have friends that are presently in regionals, domestic and international airlines and they all miss GA in a certain way and treasure the time they spent and the lessons they learnt.

The Green Goblin
22nd Sep 2009, 23:52
I know one guy who went up north this year and landed what appears to be an awesome job doing tourist flights in the kimberly in an airvan... he's got a damn overhead panel AND a centre isle! now that makes up for a lack of women imo

Wait until you fly one!!

You'll take the girl any day :ok:

I have not flown one for many moons and my arse is still sore!

AussieNick
23rd Sep 2009, 00:35
soseg, if thats gonna be your budget you'd be best looking at a backpackers.

LPG is about $0.76 and petrol $1.35 last time I filled up.

You'll meet up with a few other pilots in the backpackers, and a few women too :ok:

Greenie, i still remember the first long flight in an airvan I had, 5 hours in the seat, got out and couldn't feel my leg

the air up there
23rd Sep 2009, 06:30
Greenie, I'm flying twin with a couple of fancy bells and whistles and I reckon I would take the girl most days.

Everyday if I was stuck in an airvan, and I've never flown one.:ok:

Hats off to the brave young men that do. Your arse will never be the same from all reports.

j3pipercub
23rd Sep 2009, 06:59
I'll take a vfr islander over girls...except for maybe Miranda Kerr.

The Green Goblin
23rd Sep 2009, 07:09
You're sick J3........:ok:

I'd take the Metro just so I can't hear her complaining all the bloody time!

j3pipercub
23rd Sep 2009, 07:20
bwahahaha, you think an islander is quiter than a metro, and yes I know I'm sick...

The Green Goblin
23rd Sep 2009, 07:25
You don't hear the bongo salute too often now do you!

At least in the Bongo you have an excuse to never be home with the Mrs, cause it takes you so damn long to get anywhere hahahha

AussieNick
23rd Sep 2009, 13:31
soseg, to put it into perspective, i pay $350 a week for a 2 bedroom duplex, with my missus

training wheels
23rd Sep 2009, 13:48
soseg, to put it into perspective, i pay $350 a week for a 2 bedroom duplex, with my missus

Geesh, that's about the same as what some people are paying on their mortgages in Melbourne! Is your missus working too?

The Green Goblin
23rd Sep 2009, 14:02
I pay $650 a week with the wife in the top end, and we aint mortgage material :ugh:

AussieNick
23rd Sep 2009, 14:06
training wheels, yeah mate, nice government job, thank god.

GG cash like that I'd be thinking, Durack/the Chase or closer to Cullen Bay?

SPEEDI
27th Sep 2009, 10:55
Well looks like im in the same boat as a lot of these people. I have jsut completed my C cat instructor rating in NZ, thinking of instruction as a career. however after speaking to a mate up north of Australia whose doin the charter and scenic thing, he cant stop ranting about how good it is. It seems a lot of people are considering moves up north and im just wondering if ne people up north are actually considering moving on to other positions, making room for these new hopefuls or is this economic situation keeping everyone statu quo and as a result the ops up north is a pipe dream for a while yet? Im so confused on whether i should make the move relatively shortly or sit back and instruct for a year or so?

The Green Goblin
27th Sep 2009, 23:22
it seems a lot of people are considering moves up north and im just wondering if ne people up north are actually considering moving on to other positions, making room for these new hopefuls or is this economic situation keeping everyone statu quo

Yeah mate, we are all going to quit our jobs to look after the other fellas that are up and coming.:yuk:

Dream on!

SPEEDI
27th Sep 2009, 23:39
Maybe you interpreted what i was saying the wrong way, all i was asking was, is the rate of pilots moving on as in moving onto regionals, instruction, other fields going to be more than those applying. dont know why you had to reply with a sarcastic comment. Fairly legitimate question

the air up there
28th Sep 2009, 00:36
speedi, it was a tongue in cheek response from GG. If you take offense at that bit of sarcasm, better give GA in the territory a miss.

But to answer your question directly. No. There are very few pilots leaving and so very little progression.

Be prepared for a long hard slog guys. And remember, it's character building.:ok:

frigatebird
28th Sep 2009, 02:55
Soseg. Just do it. You either want to do it or you don't. You have to live lean to get a start in this game, thats what sorts out the ones who love it enough and are determined enough, from the armchair experts "maybe - wannabees". Stand on the edge and step off, and either organise or pray there is something down there to break your fall. Or you could stay and work in a windowless cubicle with a computer screen all day. The sharp end of the industry would be better off without so many of those at present. Someone actually has to do the real job of going from place to place with pax.

AussieNick
28th Sep 2009, 03:01
speedi, just to give you some idea of how the industry is in the Top End at the moment, it took me 6 months of talking and travelling to different operators before i've managed to score my first job

SPEEDI
28th Sep 2009, 03:04
yeah i must apologise about how that last comment came across that was meant to be lighthearted this is why i dont post much i always come across as a muppet. cheers for the advice everyone, hopefully the regionals will pick up again soon and start to see some movement.
safe flying

AutopilotEngage
28th Sep 2009, 07:19
Yeah mate, we are all going to quit our jobs to look after the other fellas that are up and coming.

That doesn't sound too unreasonable to me, you've had your fun. My turn.

:eek: :ugh: :ouch: :{ :( :suspect: :}

frigatebird
28th Sep 2009, 09:54
You EARN your slot by doing the hard yards, and you will be a better pilot for it later. Don't expect to be spoon-fed by others all your life in THIS industry.

AussieNick
28th Sep 2009, 11:59
soseg, lucky for me im a local boy from darwin, so
- i had access to a 206 to keep the hours ticking
- i have my MECIR, not that its any good for 90% of the SE's in the NT that arnt IFR machines.

at the end of the day, if it takes you 1 week, 6 months, a year (like it used to be for those who remember the last downturn) the only way your going to land a job in an industry that is constantly filling with new pilots is to be there. where? there, everytime a CP/SBP decides that they need more drivers their gonna call the last person who walked through that door looking for work that fit the bill

tmpffisch
28th Sep 2009, 12:10
Nick's spot on. Even if it's gonna take me years (lets bloody hope it's not)...I'm still heading up there. Got to be in it to win it.

FL170
28th Sep 2009, 12:17
Bit of a drift...

What mobile network should I go with if I plan on staying in Kunus :confused:

Cheers

Pilotette
28th Sep 2009, 12:17
Not sure if you have visited this website yet (I'm sure someone has posted it on pprune somewhere) but its a good read!! :ok:
The Adventures of Robbo the Yobbo! (http://users.bigpond.net.au/jex/north/)

AussieNick
28th Sep 2009, 12:23
FL170 telstra next G mate, ive used vodafone/optus and lose coverage not a hour out of darwin. NextG has given me excellent results

FL170
28th Sep 2009, 12:25
Cheers Nick :ok: and to think I was THIS close to signing back on for another 24 months with Optus :eek:

captainng
28th Sep 2009, 20:47
hi guys and gals
i started my time in kunna's and ended up as a check out chick before my flying job( best 6 months of responsibilty free drinking ) before flying bungles and then ending up on a community flying a 210 and barron in NT and it was the best two years of my life. forget being scared of going up north as it is character building for this industry and the flying will be some of the best you'll get. i am on a 737 800 now for an irish carrier and it as boring as hell compared to the flying back then.
so forget trying to plan it all and just do it as you wont be sorry.:ok:

torsion
16th Oct 2009, 06:30
WannabeQF, not sure what you mean when you say alot of operators up north have flying schools as part of the Business. The only operator in the Territory who has one is AV8, and WA I think the most Northern one is probably Shine in Geraldton (not 100% sure on WA so don't quote me on that). Maybe you have a different idea to what "up north" is.

SPEEDI
7th Nov 2009, 22:51
Sorry to bump an old thread just curious as to when the best time is to head up? and for the guys that are going what dates u plan on heading up
cheers
speedi

AussieNick
8th Nov 2009, 00:48
speedi, the best time to head north? there is no 'best time' to head north. The sooner you get up here to soon your in the hunt for that first job.

I reckon its a fair call to say the the old days of getting up here for the start of the dry and getting work 'like that' are over. It's a long hard slog, but as has been said before, it'll weed out those who really want it from those who reckon its a fast track to the left hand side of a jet...

mr_yozzie
27th Nov 2009, 07:08
Hey guys, especially soseg and others thinking of taking the plunge, just wanted to add my 2 cents worth as someone who just recently made the push. I arrived in Broome a week and a half ago and have to say I'm really enjoying it so far. From what I can ascertain so far all the pilots have second jobs as mentioned earlier in this thread and its a pretty small community. Everyone knows everyone, which can really help if you play your cards right. I have to reiterate what has already been said about the attitude you need to come up here with. You have to want an adventure and be realistic about how you are going to live your life, especially if you have come from the big smoke. I am currently living in a Backpackers at $150 p/w and in a few weeks will move into a share house with a bunch of pilots for at least 2 months then i have to find something else. Thats what life up here is like, ever changing, very dynamic. There are quite a few operators up here but again wet season is very slow so you have to be patient. If anyone wants to ask any questions about Broome, don't hesitate to give me a yell.

To that end, if anyone is coming up here, let me know, i'll do some introductions and am always looking for someone to help make rent up here more affordable.

If your thinking about coming up here, do what i did and toss a coin. Heads i stayed in Newcastle, Tails i made the move. I just kept flipping it till I got Tails. lol!

mr_yozzie
27th Nov 2009, 15:27
Not yet... I've only been here for a week and a half so it's still very much early days. I'll let you know if anything comes up. I've spoken to most of the Chief Pilots and they are all saying the same thing, stick around and something will come up in a few months...fingers crossed anyways!

mr_yozzie
30th Nov 2009, 11:11
WannabeQF, mate I always call by phone first. This serves two purposes. 1: You don't waste your time getting all dressed and taking your resume to a company only to find that no one worth talking to is available and 2: Its always a professional courtesy to give the CP a heads up to let them know you plan on coming in.

Once in the door with the CP in front of you, I just go into introduction mode then sell myself. I always ask about the company (have some background info if you can, in case they ask you some questions). Basically I just go into it nice and relaxed, just have a chat about yourself, what you're trying to achieve and most importantly if the conversation takes a turn away from aviation and your future employment, don't be too keen to bring it back, just let it go. I had one CP tell me he hated always talking about aviation and it was nice to talk to someone about other things as well. At the end, I always thank them for their time and end with something like "Look forward to hearing from you..."

Its all pretty basic, just be confident but not cocky and just be a genuine Aussie guy, someone they can see themselves having a beer with on a friday arvo.

Hope that helps.

the air up there
30th Nov 2009, 12:03
Its all pretty basic, just be confident but not cocky and just be a genuine Aussie guy, someone they can see themselves having a beer with on a friday arvo.

Best theory I've heard in an age. The way it is too.

THE IRON MAIDEN
1st Dec 2009, 02:28
Okavango check PM :ok:

pilotboy007
21st Apr 2011, 22:44
What's TOT?

propblast
22nd Apr 2011, 13:04
What's TOT?

If your referring to what I think you are in Darwin, then it is best to head out on a tuesday night about 1130ish and find out for yourself.