PDA

View Full Version : It was 20 years ago today...

MajorMadMax
21st Oct 2001, 05:27
I know this may be of little interest to anyone beyond myself...but it was 20 years ago today (20 October) that I entered active duty in the USAF.

I was 18 years old, hadn't a clue but luckily was smart enough to know I could make productive use of at least the first four years after high school in the Air Force.

I completed my first enlistment, spending two years in the UK and a year and a half in Idaho, then went on to college and came back as a commissioned officer.

By shere chance I am also currently stationed at the same place where I came onto active service two decades ago, so, to commemorate the occasion, I drove out to the barracks where I completed basic training, raised a fine scotch blend in a glass I got upon completing parachute training with the Slovak Special Forces in 1994, and said a toast and a prayer for my fellow members of 3704th Basic Military Training Squadron, Flight 515.
God bless each and every one of us!

Now it is 20 years down the road, I have seen and done more than I could have even imagined as an 18 year old, and I am still ready for more. And it beats packing groceries at the local supermarket!

Cheers!

Man-on-the-fence
21st Oct 2001, 14:18
Cangratulations Max, you dont look a day over 35 :D

fobotcso
21st Oct 2001, 17:11
Nice sentiments, Major, and my congrats too. Oh to be 38 again, or 48, or 58 ...

But there are compensations; I can stop chasing dreams and accept what there is.

[ 21 October 2001: Message edited by: fobotcso ]

SteadyNote
21st Oct 2001, 19:33
Many congratulations.
Would that be Mountain Home, Idaho?
You weren't on 391st TFS by any chance??

MajorMadMax
21st Oct 2001, 23:58
Yep, I was worked for the 366 TFW DCM but was assigned to the 390 ECS (EF-111s) back in 84-85. Great assignment, loved the area and the job, would easily go back if given the chance.

Cheers! M2

MajorMadMax
22nd Oct 2001, 00:14
"...you dont look a day over 35"

Damn right, which I attribute to the clean living as seen below. Only the best Cuban cigars and German beer to stay young!

http://www.geocities.com/captmadmax/capt_m2.jpg

By the way, this pic is from my last night in Sarajevo (Oct 98). I was feeling no pain!

ShyTorque
22nd Oct 2001, 00:35
MMM,

My congratulations, I only managed 18 years before I'd had enough!

You don't look too well in your picture though. My version shows a white rectangle with a red band-aid on it! :D

ShyT

MajorMadMax
22nd Oct 2001, 06:32
Yeah..can't figure that one out...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. :mad:

Unfortunately this BB requires a URL for an image, you can't just load one up from the computer. You'll just have to take my word on how well I look! :rolleyes:

Cheers!

AA SLF
22nd Oct 2001, 08:50
MajorMadMax -

Congrats on the twenty!

I too, went through the 3704th. @ good old Lackland AFB many decades ago when they still had the WW-2 wooden barracks on the north side of Loop-12. Got out of basic and went across Loop-12 to OCS on the south side of the road. Thence into a school there behind barbed wire for six more months. Finally got out of Lackland after almost a full year. Then off to Offutt AFB and you can see from my signature line what I did there.

Grew up on a ranch just north of SAT. Guess that is what got me into the USAF.

I only did five and out, Vietnam was heating up big time then. Liked flying in the EC-135As, but it was very exciting when the General from the back wanted/did the landing showing us how he used to land B-17s in WW-2.

Enjoy civy-side, I have.

dAAvid -

fobotcso
22nd Oct 2001, 13:15
You can see his handsome face if you right-click on the band-aid and select "show picture"; takes a while.

Megaton
22nd Oct 2001, 16:04
MM,

Too much time on your hands these days then? ;)

MajorMadMax
22nd Oct 2001, 18:00
Ham Phisted -

Yep, life has throttled back a bit, and I am not complaining. Let me know when you when you want to do lunch again. Remember, Thursdays there is a belly dancer at the Greek Place!

Cheers!