PDA

View Full Version : Trouble at Gate Aviation?

ReadyToGo
15th Sep 2009, 16:53
Heard from a former colleague, that Gate Aviation is not honouring a promised pay increase to its staff, and that there is increasing talk of legal action against the company. The pay rise has already been deferred a few months. I think this just applies to Newcastle's dispatch/ramp operation

No reason to doubt what I have been told either.

What are the legalities of such a thing? Is strike action possible?

RTG!

Hollymead
16th Sep 2009, 16:47
They have seen Swissport do it and are jumping on the bandwagon . Are these company's realy in trouble or just using the current economic climate to take the pi55 ?

OPS1978
17th Sep 2009, 08:00
I would just be greatful to have a job at the moment I wouldnt worry about having pay rise just be lucky you have a job. Unless you want to swap with me and I will have your job and you can have my place in the dole line.I have 9 yrs experience in Ground Handling before been made redundant inmarch so your very lucky to be in a business that is a joy to work in:ok::ok:

ReadyToGo
17th Sep 2009, 20:50
I'm not sure of the state of things at NCL (been out of handling for a while now), but from what I am told, theres a mix of opinion, and a lot of people share ops1978's view that they are happy to live as they are. However there are a fair few union members who are demanding their promised pay rise.

Theres a lot of complications at Gate due to TUPE agreements with Servisair. Personally if I was employed in the industry now, as winter approaches I'd be keeping very quiet and getting on with the job.

But then again, thats what the employers want, and well if the pay rise was promised, and not paying it is illegal (which I would think it is)... I guess they are entitled to it.

Tough call for the staff there. Good luck to them!

RTG!

Hollymead
18th Sep 2009, 20:32
I would just be greatful to have a job at the moment I wouldnt worry about having pay rise just be lucky you have a job.

It's that spineless attitude that gets people elbowed in the 1st place . :ugh:

ReadyToGo
23rd Sep 2009, 23:51
Latest I have heard is 8 redundancies from the ramp operation if they want their pay rise... which a ballot has agreed on... The union has accepted that 8 redundancies is acceptable, so that the majority get their agreed pay increase!

The pay rise ONLY affects the staff that were brought over on a promised Servisair pay rise through a TUPE agreement. (Due to Easyjet Contract swappingahnds)
ONLY the ex-servisair TUPE staff could vote on the payrise vs redundancy issue... SO....

Will the redundancies come ONLY from the ex-servisair TUPE staff.. or are the original Gate Aviation staff likely to be in the firing line too (bearing in mind they had no vote and no benefit from the pay rise anyway?)

Also, the TUPE staff as (or so I am told) on much better pay and conditions and pay than Gate's original staff. The TUPE staff bring their pensions with them...

Is it legal (as the ex servisair staff believe) for Gate Aviation to make eight of their own redundant, (because its cheaper) as the result of pay negotiations that they never had a vote on?

RTG!