PDA

View Full Version : JAL--senior vs junior pilot positions

Donkey Duke
15th Sep 2009, 03:00
I have always wondered about JAL and which positions are senior vs junior. Obviously the Captain seat is best, but what about domestic widebody out of Haneda, vs Nartia widebody flying? Which is more prominent? What about domestically? Which planes are preferred? Also, how do the JAS pilots fit in with the JAL pilots? Can the JAS pilots bid over to NRT? Which planes do the JAS pilots fly? I know JALWays is seperate too. And lastly, what about Transocean Air? Is that the 737 operator that operates for JAL domestically? Cheers.

ishi59
15th Sep 2009, 18:23
The Japanese system is very different to the US system.

Pilots have no bid ability here, the company orders the pilot to a particular fleet. Also, they are expected to fly both domestic and international ops. JAL fly 744, 777, 767 and 737 domestically and internationally.

Are delta pilots already working out the merger details???:\

Donkey Duke
17th Sep 2009, 03:56
No, I don't think so. At JAL or JAS, which fleets are considered the best? Do pilots ever move between fleets? Have the JAS pilots moved over into any JAL aircraft? Is there higher pay in the larger aircraft? Thank you for your responses. Cheers.

Skywards747
17th Sep 2009, 04:35
I only know about JAL. Untill about 8 years ago, 747 classic fleet (around 45-50 strong) was the best. It went everywhere in the network, if not by passenger, then cargo. But after 9/11 when JAL started cutting routes, 744 became the premier fleet. But within last 1.5 to 2 years, 777 has become the fleet to be.

Basically everyone fly a mix of domestic and international routes. But internationally, most pilots are grouped to one particular geographic region, such as Pacific, Europe or Asia within the fleet.

smat
17th Sep 2009, 22:28
They get extra pay if they fly long haul. So now 777 is the one flying to Europe and East coast.
737 and 767 are mostly flying for Japan domestic, China and South East Asia.
They get little extra pay from those flight if they fly red eye.
777 is the only same fleet btw JAL and JAS. Those pilot group are flying together with one OM now. Other fleet like A300 and MD90 are still flown by JAS guys.

According to the pay scale, JAS guys used to make more than JAL, but now JAS guys make same as JAL guys make.
And about the base, as someone above said, no bidding system in Japanese Airlines.
JAS has Tokyo, Fukuoka, and Osaka base, and JAL only has Tokyo base now.
Normally company orders where your base is, and supports complete relocation.

Hope this help.