PDA

View Full Version : Converting Glider to NPPL/PPL (A)

oversteer
14th Sep 2009, 23:14
Having done all the relevant flying I can get my "Glider Pilots Licence" if I pay the BGA the nominal fee.

This allows me to convert to either NPPL (SSEA) or NPPL (SLMG) with at least 10 hrs training and passing of ground/GST/NST.

SLMG would make sense as I intend to pursue gliding, and I gather that SLMG<>SSEA is a matter of conversion training, so (subject to currency etc) I may get both.

- For SLMG it refers to a "SLMG Instructor", does this include BGA MGIR instructor ratings?
- Is it likely to be a lot more than ten hours (assuming I get to grips with everything!)
- Are flying schools likely to know about the NPPL conversion

If I want to convert to JAR PPL (I had a quick look at LASORS) it requires 20 hours under instruction and ten hours supervised solo, so presumably another ~15-20 hours training time even if I get a NPPL and do a load of hours solo?

UAV689
15th Sep 2009, 07:23
PFT: The MotorGlider Club | Pilot flight training and lessons (http://www.motorgliderclub.co.uk/)

the CFI is a top bloke, ex-gliding full cat/CFI now motorglider/SEP instructor, he can convert you across no probs

UAV

BEagle
15th Sep 2009, 07:29
1. SLMG training may be conducted by any authorised SLMG instructor, including a MGIR holder.

2. The additional dual training required for a JAR-FCL PPL(A) will include not less than 20 hours with an instructor authorised under JAR-FCL. That can include whatever training you receive when including a SSEA Class Rating on your NPPL. Such training must be conducted from a licensed or government aerodrome. You will also need to have completed 10 hours supervised solo on SSEA/SEP aeroplanes before applying for a JAR-FCL PPL(A).

3. Most flying schools will feign ignorance and will try to sell you a JAR-FCL PPL(A) course. I would suggest you take the BGA Glider Pilots' Licence to NPPL SLMG route, then find a school which understands the requirements for adding the SSEA Class Rating. Because the requirements are left to the discretion of the flying school, the school needs to understand that they must train you to an equivalent standard which would enable you to pass a NST/GST in a SSEA (were one required) and that when they countersign your SSEA application, they are stating that you meet the required standard.

impulse9
15th Sep 2009, 08:16
I second UAV69's comments.

I'm an ab-initio student there (soloed in August - yey!) and during my 9 months there, I've seen several glider pilots go to SLMG and then onto the SSEA rating, and they all seemed really happy :ok:

oversteer
15th Sep 2009, 09:23
Thanks all,

So if I manage SLMG with the ten hours training, what do they teach you in the additional 10 hours when you go from NPPL (SSEA) to JAR PPL (A) ?

I haven't looked at the syllabus for either one so feel free to point me toward them if it's easily explained in there :ok:

rusty sparrow
15th Sep 2009, 11:41
I also recommend the Motorglider Club - the CFI is one of the very best. And Hinton in the Hedges is a great airfield.

powerless
16th Sep 2009, 06:51
Many of the gliding clubs have their own SLMGs and have instructors who can train you. Have a look round and find the most convenient to you, list of all the clubs on BGA web site www.gliding.co.uk (http://www.gliding.co.uk). Did mine at my own club as was confortable with the layout and instructors.