PDA

View Full Version : Calling former/current RAF Medical Officers

Ralph Wiggum
25th Sep 2001, 22:16
Gents and ladies,

I'm looking for some down to earth advice for a friend of mine starting medical school this week. She is looking to apply for RAF sponsorship as soon as possible and has asked me for advice. If anyone would be able to share with me some experiences, anonymously or not, I would greatly appreciate it. Such questions have arisen like: is the training as good as the brochures suggest, how frequent are overseas postings.. there seem to be lots of civvie MOs manning the stations over here.. is there any anti-military discrimination against docs who leave the forces and go civil... and if you were in her position now, would you join up?

Any help would really be appreciated, thanks in advance. E-mails would be great if that's better for you!

Ralph

-----------------------------------------
Not military aircrew, but former spacey and grateul receiver of many an exciting spin in military hardware.

Reichman
26th Sep 2001, 15:57
Dear Ralph,

Please tell your friend to join the RAF medical branch if she wants to spend all of her time:

a. Diagnosing colds for small children.

b. Telling aircrew that they don't have priority any more.

c. Only accepting emergency appointments(?).

d. Telling us that Anthrax jabs aren't bad for us.

e. Filling out the forms saying that we don't want Anthrax jabs.

f. Misdiagnosing a torn muscle as a "frozen shoulder" and so putting my physiotherapy back 3 weeks.

g. Working at Dewhursts in her spare time to get work experience.

Or she could go civvie and help out the RAF in her spare time, which a lot of very kind Docs are doing at present.

Cheers

Reichman

BEagle
26th Sep 2001, 21:53
Chill Reichdude! She might be a savoury babe who would be happy to fondle your bits every year!

However, if she wants to work with an organisation with the world's most abysmal admin, whose most important people (aircrew) view any conversation with doctors much like ringing the Gestapo, then go ahead!!

Seriously though, the Defence Medical Branch is seriously undermanned and I'm sure she'd have a satisfying career. Particularly if she does the course to become a CAA Authorised Medical Examiner!!

Reheat On
29th Sep 2001, 09:16
Speaking as an ex-flying ex-service no. [wrt to the open/closed thread!] who has an eagle eye through the civilian dental/ medical profession, I would say: do NOT take the Queen's shilling.

The clinical limitations are significant, the budgeting is dire, the internal promotion prospect limited by an ever decreasing 'dead mens shoes' system, and by the fact the by and large most hospital based care is now centred around leasing capacity from.... the NHS!

Then there is potential loss of identity by the creation of the DMS - it cannot be long before all medics and dentists wear one uniform.

However, that said - a SSC and a passport to good study leave to do Fellowships can be a useful road to a Career Path.

I think that an agreement has been reached on equivalence in speciality training pathways with the NHS, but that should be confirmed. You would not want to find 6 years service is treated as dead time by the civilian sector.

Patently you can be despatched to some unusual theatres and the 'war roles' add to the variety of life. The cameraderie and uniform aspects are a matter of personal decision.

But IMHO morale and resourcing are bedevilled by the Treasury and some high profile personality clashes amongst their airships [and equivalents] all fighting for the limited gong list. it is like musical chairs: there is always one less job after Christmas!

It will not be long before the DMS become a civilianised agency, as a logical progression toward 'value added' spend of taxpayers money.

Don't do it, marvo!

[ 29 September 2001: Message edited by: Reheat On ]