PDA

View Full Version : "Jet blows slates off at BHD!"

jetfour
14th Sep 2009, 20:50
Have a look at this and see what you think.

Jetfour's eyebrows are well raised!:ooh:

BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland | Plane probe over house roof smash (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8254489.stm)

Basil
14th Sep 2009, 20:59
Could be caused by a wingtip vortex.
Wonder which was there first; the airport or the house :hmm:

daikilo
14th Sep 2009, 21:04
Can't find supposed BBC report on BBC website. Which aircraft and airline pls?

Rainboe
14th Sep 2009, 21:13
I have lived here for 12 years (from new). I have found a couple of tiles on the ground. A near neighbour had a tile fall off her roof as well and dent her Jaguar. We live 20 miles from the nearest airport. Tiles come off roofs. It happens. It must be nice to live near an airport and have someone to blame!

jetfour
14th Sep 2009, 21:22
Sorry, have no info other than what's on the "Beeb." But the jets using BHD would include BMIbaby, Ryanair and Flybe. All short/medium haul.

The house in question is about 100-200 m right of the centreline and several hundred feet beneath the 'slope.

TheGorrilla
14th Sep 2009, 21:24
God forbid it could be a bit of shoddy workmanship by the guys who did her roof. Nice hair and earrings by the way.

Got to blame aviation for everything strange that happens these days, even if you haven't got the foggiest clue about it. Why? Because these numpties want 10 mins of "sensational" fame.

Roof tiles falling off making it into the BBC News... Why the heck do I pay my licence fee. Grrr.... :ugh:

jetfour
14th Sep 2009, 21:35
Hi Daikilo,

I think the "BBC" blocks access to a lot of their domestic sites to non-UK ISP's.
I can access BBC NI via IE but not via my ISP's software! (AoHell)

cessnapuppy
14th Sep 2009, 21:38
well, the rumbling of the aircraft as it flies overhead, perhaps 20-50% of that caused by a large lorry passing 10ft away in the street may contribute to loosening tiles ?
I suggest umbrellas or bike helmets at all times, or make roofs out of straw like they used to do.

(Is it me, or did the news girl seem to have one of them Jamaican accents? I was all expecting Ali G to bust out of the woodwork with a gotcha!)

jetfour
14th Sep 2009, 21:49
It's just you. The interviewer is 100% "Norn Iron"

The lady being interviewed has a german/east european accent.

jetfour
14th Sep 2009, 22:14
News? Yes
Airline/Airliner related? It wasn't a microlight!
Mod comment on shift?

luddite
14th Sep 2009, 22:43
It wouldn't have been bmibaby in BHD. Not unless something had gone horribly wrong at BFS.

Avitor
14th Sep 2009, 23:11
As they were slate I would suggest they have been there for a number of years, the nails would become thin and brittle.
I would also suggest that any roof needs to be secure and old nails replaced.

ZeBedie
15th Sep 2009, 15:17
The pattern of missing tiles looks like vortex damage to me. They didn't fall off without provocation and the weather has not exactly been stormy of late, has it?