PDA

View Full Version : just for nostalgia - VH-NAK

smiling monkey
14th Sep 2009, 11:19
I did my first solo in this aircraft (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessna-152-T/1269841/L/) back in the late 80's, so just for nostalgia, I'd like to do a couple of circuits with her now. Can anyone tell me if VH-NAK is still on the line at a flying school, and if so, where? The CASA register has the owner as WAUSAIR PTY. LTD in Victoria.

Thanks in advance.

Cap'n Arrr
14th Sep 2009, 12:38
Just did a quick Google, hopefully this is what you're looking for :)

Geelong Aviation and Flight Training - About Us (http://www.geelongaviation.com.au/index-4.html)

bentleg
14th Sep 2009, 21:36
VH-NAK gets a mention here (http://www.geelongaviation.com.au/C152.html) and a piccy at Geelong here (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessna-152-T/1269841/L/&sid=ec7596fee3d4d5e6ecffed8937be855a)

tinpis
15th Sep 2009, 00:51
Jesus indeed, for that sort of money I would expect to have him as my instructor. :hmm:

Ultralights
15th Sep 2009, 07:52
what do you mean Nearly $300! its $315 Dual in a WARRIOR!!! :eek:

MCKES
15th Sep 2009, 08:40
charter in the grumman ag-cat:}

Ex FSO GRIFFO
15th Sep 2009, 13:35
I bags the hopper - providing you give it a bloody good 'hose out' first......

:}

ilovemycessna
16th Sep 2009, 08:37
It's the same everywhere!

I went to hire a C172 at essendon the other day, and had to do a dual check. Going rate at EN was $360 bucks!

I'm happy im not doing my training now, couldnt even afford a gfpt.

ILMC

smiling monkey
16th Sep 2009, 11:21
Thanks guys for the info; will contact that flight school in Geelong to see if they can help. If I remember correctly, dual rates for the C-152 back in the late 80's was just a tad over $100 per hour; solo rates were about $92 per hour. So, to fly the same airframe now some 20 years later costs three times as much! :ouch:

eocvictim
17th Sep 2009, 08:43
WOW I was paying $330 for a travelair only a few years ago.

Wally Mk2
20th Feb 2010, 03:07
I wouldn't really know what the rates are these days for light A/C hire but man that sort of coin seems way off the mark! My local aero club has a basic C172 hire for $140 tacho solo to club members & i think $210 or thereabouts for dual..........where do they get off at charging that out of a country airfield?
Still I recall gas about 20c a liter too but that was back in the old lay back seat days when the vinyl seats where freezin'!:}

Wmk2

schnappi
21st Feb 2010, 04:20
Sad to hear about the news, NAK was a well loved and taken care of machine. As for the rates well we can all remember back in the day when everything was a lot cheaper.

The rates at the said flying school are quite comparable ive found after a quick google: A 172 DUAL is $324 inc GST p/h, while I see at EN Its $280 p/h + GST + $60 LDG fee which if I calc right works out to be $368 p/h. Taxi delays are quite comparable too! :confused:

SCHNAP!

The Green Goblin
21st Feb 2010, 04:36
Hope it was not smiling monkey in the old girl.

Would be poetic if is gave him his first solo flight and he gave her the last :}

777WakeTurbz
21st Feb 2010, 06:25
Probably could have been avoided if only he could reach, let-alone operate those darn rudder pedals... Oops :}

Arnold E
21st Feb 2010, 07:11
I'm just interested how anybody can "crash land" a 150/152 and write it off:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:. (Ex 150 taildragger owner asking the question here)

Mick.B
21st Feb 2010, 09:14
From Geelong Adi

Lucky escape for two men in plane crash
Alex Oates

February 20th, 2010

TWO elderly men made a miraculous escape after a plane crash at Geelong Airport yesterday.

The 70-year-old pilot and his 80-year-old passenger walked away with minor injuries when the light aircraft crash landed in a paddock southwest of the Grovedale airport about 2.20pm.

The pilot, who has more than 40 years' flight experience, suffered only a bloodnose while his friend received a cut to his right arm and were treated last night at Geelong Hospital.

The wing of the Cessna 152 clipped the ground on the east-west runway about 700m from the airport headquarters and nosedived.

What are your thoughts on this story? Tell us using the feedback form below
The airport chief pilot Graham Lee said a strong gust of wind forced the pilot to abort the landing.

"He's decided not to land, got a gust of wind and tried the go-around and he's stalled and his wing's hit the ground," he said.

Mr Lee and the airport's flying instructor Jamie Roudhouse witnessed the accident and raced to the men's aid.

"All I saw was the plane and I thought 'oh no, he's a bit slow and the wing dropped and struck the ground," Mr Lee said.

"I don't like seeing that. It's not a good feeling."

Mr Roudhouse grabbed a fire extinguisher and bolted to the scene of the accident, fearing the aircraft would burst into flames.

"I ran down and two of us arrived at the same time, so we opened both doors turned the fuel off and the master switch," he said.

"They weren't hurt, but they were stunned, and we just helped them get out. They were belted in, and it was a bit hard for them to get out."

Mr Lee believed the plane, a crumpled wreck, was beyond repair.

samuelmills
23rd Dec 2016, 09:38
It's been a while but I was wondering if someone has any contact details for anyone from the old geelong flight school? I used to train there and was wanting to chase up my old log book and start up again. I've got some fond memories of NAK and WLA as well. I know the centre closed a few years ago but I have no idea what may have happened to Graham or the books.
Cheers

emeritus
23rd Dec 2016, 11:54
Interesting comments re the per hour costs these days. I learnt to fly in 1958 on Tigers and the rates were the eq of $6 solo/ $7.50 dual. At the time I was earning $18 per week.

Compared to todays wages the cost per hour does not seem to differ all that much when compared to todays basic wage. Would that be a fair assumption ? I am not sure what wages actually are these days.

Emeritus.

cowl flaps
23rd Dec 2016, 15:09
In 1970 at Nepean Flying School at Camden, I was paying $4.50 an hour solo and $6.00 an hour dual for either a C172 (VH-WKA) or a PA-20-140 (VH-WKE) !
And at the time, taking home $23.00 per week.
Wally Knight was the Owner,- the CFI and the LAME.

Shaggy Dog
23rd Dec 2016, 20:38
Yeah I recall the Chipmunk was around $10 an hour in Alice Springs in '64.
I think I was on around $56 a week in those days.
SD

tail wheel
23rd Dec 2016, 20:54
Interesting comments re the per hour costs these days. I learnt to fly in 1958 on Tigers and the rates were the eq of $6 solo/ $7.50 dual. At the time I was earning $18 per week.

You were well paid!! 1961 a Chipmunk was £ 4/10/- per hour dual and I earned £ 8/10/- as a lowly 17 year old.

emeritus
24th Dec 2016, 11:46
" You were well paid "

And rightly so. I was a key member of the organisation. It would not have been able to function had I not been there to keep the hangar floor swept,arranged the lunch catering, washed the dishes and kept the facilities in a hygienic state ! Fortunately management were astute enough to realise that I was the ideal candidate to operate their shiny new Cessna 175 and I was therefore able to commence my advancement up the aeronautical ladder. :D

Emeritus

smiling monkey
24th Dec 2016, 17:20
Hope it was not smiling monkey in the old girl.

Would be poetic if is gave him his first solo flight and he gave her the last :}

I thought this thread looked familar ... holy thread resurrections batman, that was a long time ago that I made that post. Sad to hear VH-NAK was written off. And no, it wasn't me TGG, who bent it. :-p